Ira Solomon
Aug 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi:
A little background:
I am making images of pipes(smoking, not plumbers’ variety) in order to sell them on Ebay. There are Maker’s Marks on these pipes either stamped or engraved into the wood. In a few cases I wanted images of the marks.

The first one I tried I scanned (Epson 4990). Much to my surprise the image "inverted" the carving. The letters look as if they stand out above the wood; when, in fact, they are cut into the wood.

I thought this was a scanner problem. I then photographed the carving on another pipe using an Olympus E-300 with 50mm Macro Lens and ringlight. The same phenomenon occurred.

I’d appreciate enlightenment as to why this happens.

Thanks

Ira Solomon

Thanks

Ira Solomon

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

K
Kingdom
Aug 15, 2005
Ira Solomon wrote in
news::

Hi:
A little background:
I am making images of pipes(smoking, not plumbers’ variety) in order to sell them on Ebay. There are Maker’s Marks on these pipes either stamped or engraved into the wood. In a few cases I wanted images of the marks.

The first one I tried I scanned (Epson 4990). Much to my surprise the image "inverted" the carving. The letters look as if they stand out above the wood; when, in fact, they are cut into the wood.
I thought this was a scanner problem. I then photographed the carving on another pipe using an Olympus E-300 with 50mm Macro Lens and ringlight. The same phenomenon occurred.

I’d appreciate enlightenment as to why this happens.

Thanks

Ira Solomon

Thanks

Ira Solomon

That’s the way the human brain works, brains dedicate a massive amount of process to visual signals, primarily looking for faces as faces are never inverted our brains alway try to make posative patterns before ‘seeing’inverted’ ones.

f=Ma well, nearly…
MM
Mister Max
Aug 15, 2005
Kingdom posted:

Ira Solomon wrote in
news::

The letters look as if they stand out
above the wood; when, in fact, they are cut into the wood.
That’s the way the human brain works, brains dedicate a massive amount of process to visual signals, primarily looking for faces as faces are never inverted our brains alway try to make posative patterns before ‘seeing’inverted’ ones.
If you arrange the pipes so that the light is on the top side of the lettering, not the bottom, the lettering will look right. Our brain thinks that shadows of depressed cuts should be on the top, not the bottom. If shadows are on the bottom, it looks like the letters stand out when they are really cut in.
– Max

MisterMax

http://buten.net/max/
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco, Mt Holly, Myanmar (new), Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand (new), Tour de France.

http://pbase.com/mistermax – Shadows and Reflections

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections