JA
Posted By
jefferson_alan
Jan 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having some serious problems. I want to trim pictures to exactly 4 X 6 inches so I can get the printed out at the photo center. The problem I run into is that I can’t seem to be able to punch in numerically a crop size. Instead I am guessing and zooming in to see the rulers. This is a bit of a pain. In addition I do not want to just resize my pictures as I only want part of the photograph. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
jeffersonalan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DC
Dan_Crescent
Jan 28, 2004
In the options bar you can set the size numerically.
BP
Brian_Peart
Jan 28, 2004
When you select the crop tool, an options bar should open across under the menus. You can enter the crop size and resolution in here. You can also change the ‘units’ – inches or mm etc.

As you drag the crop tool over the image, it will be constrained to the proportion you set.
JA
jefferson_alan
Jan 28, 2004
Thanks,
Right after I read that message I kicked myself! I was getting frustrated because Wal-mart now prints digital pictures for 29 cents for a 4X6 which is pretty good and the quality was amazing but my pictures kept getting chopped and I was adding text which was getting chopped. No fun but they didnt charge me for the pictures which was good.

thanks
jefferson alan
L
larry
Jan 28, 2004
It’s not about using the crop tool, but about adding canvas to the image so that you can maintain the desired composition and not have to compromise your image. The best way is to size your image so one dimension fits a 4×6 and the other falls short. Then add a 4×6 canvas so the entire image prints without cropping.
<http://www.bermangraphics.com/coolpix/frontiersizing.htm>

Larry Berman
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 28, 2004
I’ll second Larry’s suggestion or a variation of it.

What I’d do is create a 4×6 canvas at the resolution I want. Drag my image into it, move it around or scale it to my liking, flatten and save.

The flattening and saving can be made into an action.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 28, 2004
In addition, be advised that when you enter values in the options bar with the crop tool, you will be re-sampling the image. To avoid this, use the marquee tool, and set ITS dimensions in the options bar, then use Image|Crop.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections