M
Posted By
mjb
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just updated to the latest ATI Catalyst Drivers and the gamma slider in Adobe Gamma no longer works. When I slide it nothing happens. Any ideas?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DT
Deco_time
Apr 9, 2004
mjb wrote:
I just updated to the latest ATI Catalyst Drivers and the gamma slider in Adobe Gamma no longer works. When I slide it nothing happens. Any ideas?

Known issue, that ATI doesn’t seem in a hurry to fix. See:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/CATALYST_44_Release_Notes.html#1 71724

Pleas add your voice to mine and email a complaint.

www.odysea.ca
DT
Deco_time
Apr 9, 2004
Wrong link, here’s the correct one:

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4501.html

www.odysea.ca
DD
Duncan Donald
Apr 9, 2004
I can’t believe anyone would do this… Download a driver without reading the warnings. Roll back to the original version and it will work again!. Or better still, adjust the gama manually with the (better than adobe) gama adjuster.

Douglas
—————-
"mjb" wrote in message
M
mjb
Apr 9, 2004
Douglas

When you adjust the gamma with ATI gamma adjustment do you simply eyeball it? What is your technique?

Thanks!

"Douglas MacDonald" wrote in message
I can’t believe anyone would do this… Download a driver without reading the warnings. Roll back to the original version and it will work again!. Or better still, adjust the gama manually with the (better than adobe)
gama
adjuster.

Douglas
—————-
"mjb" wrote in message
I just updated to the latest ATI Catalyst Drivers and the gamma slider
in
Adobe Gamma no longer works. When I slide it nothing happens. Any
ideas?

DD
Duncan Donald
Apr 9, 2004
"mjb" wrote in message
Douglas

When you adjust the gamma with ATI gamma adjustment do you simply eyeball it? What is your technique?

Thanks!
—————————-
These instruction have been known to work getting DSLR images balanced so that the printer output equals the screen display. Scanned images could well be different and anyway, I don’t recommend this process for scanned photos unless the scanner is used instead of the digicam. In that case, you need to get the PS+monitor+printer right before doing the scanner.

First thing … Choose your PS working space as Adobe 1998 – regardless of the monitor’s own profile.
Print a digital photo without any corrections at all and be sure at print time you only have the printer’s ICC selected.
place said print next to the monitor
balance the gamma and colour to match the photo.
Test the settings again
Repeat as needed.

If you need a digital image to do the tests, get one from my gallery (right click – save image as). They have all been processed but on a calibrated system. http://www.technoaussie.com/gallery.
Good luck.

Douglas
———————
"Douglas MacDonald" wrote in message
I can’t believe anyone would do this… Download a driver without
reading
the warnings. Roll back to the original version and it will work again!. Or better still, adjust the gama manually with the (better than adobe)
gama
adjuster.

Douglas
—————-
"mjb" wrote in message
in
ideas?

X
XCATivor
Apr 12, 2004
"mjb" wrote in message

In Catalyst 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 ATI Control Panel has priority in setting Gamma – resulting in non-functional Adobe Gamma and many other applications (games). (They changed this, because sometimes desktop stayed with wrong gamma value after exiting some games, for example. There will be solution in next Catalyst drivers…)

For now, this annoying problem can be fixed by inserting a new double word value into the registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{ BIG LONG NUMBER}\0000]

You can tell which of the "big long numbers" is, as when you expand them and look at the "0000" part of the tree it has LOTS of settings the other 0000’s have very little in them. Also there is line with your current Catalyst version number.

If you are using two monitors, there is similar key, with line "secondary display" in it…

New Doubleword should be called:
GSettingControl

value should be 1 (for Adobe Gamma).

Other values are:
0 if you want the full screen app / game to use its own gamma 1 if you want the windowed app / game to use its own gamma 2 if you want the driver to ignore the app / game gamma and use the setting in the colour tab instead

You have to reboot after altering the registry.

I have tested this workaround with Catalyst 4.4 and it works fine!

Many thanks to spyre on Rage3D forums!!

.. .::xcat
:.:.:.:.:.:.
M
mjb
Apr 13, 2004
I simply used Adobe Gamma with Catalyst 4.1 drivers and created a color profile for my monitor. Then updated to the latest Catalyst drivers and added the color profile and set it as default in color managment so far it works fine.

". .::xcat::" wrote in message
"mjb" wrote in message

in
ideas?

In Catalyst 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 ATI Control Panel has priority in setting Gamma – resulting in non-functional Adobe Gamma and many other
applications
(games). (They changed this, because sometimes desktop stayed with wrong gamma value after exiting some games, for example. There will be solution
in
next Catalyst drivers…)

For now, this annoying problem can be fixed by inserting a new double word value into the registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{ BIG LONG NUMBER}\0000]

You can tell which of the "big long numbers" is, as when you expand them
and
look at the "0000" part of the tree it has LOTS of settings the other
0000’s
have very little in them. Also there is line with your current Catalyst version number.

If you are using two monitors, there is similar key, with line "secondary display" in it…

New Doubleword should be called:
GSettingControl

value should be 1 (for Adobe Gamma).

Other values are:
0 if you want the full screen app / game to use its own gamma 1 if you want the windowed app / game to use its own gamma 2 if you want the driver to ignore the app / game gamma and use the
setting
in the colour tab instead

You have to reboot after altering the registry.

I have tested this workaround with Catalyst 4.4 and it works fine!
Many thanks to spyre on Rage3D forums!!

. .::xcat
:.:.:.:.:.:.

GC
Graeme Cogger
Apr 13, 2004
In article ,
says…
I simply used Adobe Gamma with Catalyst 4.1 drivers and created a color profile for my monitor. Then updated to the latest Catalyst drivers and added the color profile and set it as default in color managment so far it works fine.

The profile is probably fine, but Adobe Gamma also loads a calibration LookUp Table (LUT) to the graphics card when Windows starts. It’s this LUT that is stopped from loading by the drivers. The profile may well be associated with the monitor, and used by Photoshop, but without loading the LUT the profile is meaningless.

Do you see a sudden change in colour/brightness while Windows is starting (I.e. after your wallpaper is displayed)? If you don’t, then you are suffering from the driver problem 🙁

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections