T
Posted By
tvkodde26
Jul 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a beginner with Adobe Photoshop and am trying to apply two effects to images with difficulties.

1) I want to apply the effect where the color filters from dark to lighter from the upper left hand corner to the lower right hand corner.

2) Also how do I identify the edge of an image and can I adjust the edge width?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
noone
Jul 31, 2005
In article , tvkodde26
@hotmail.com says…
I am a beginner with Adobe Photoshop and am trying to apply two effects to images with difficulties.

1) I want to apply the effect where the color filters from dark to lighter from the upper left hand corner to the lower right hand corner.

Thanks,

Travis

Travis, the answer to your first question is easy – a Gradient Mask. PS offers several ways to accomplish this, but the first method in *my* mind is through Quick Mask mode. Commands are for PC, but just substitute the Command Key for Ctrl. With nothing selected (press Ctrl-D, in case you may have made some selections already and one is active), go to QM on the bottom of the Tool Box (there are two boxes, one, a transparent rectangle with a circle, which is on the left and is the regular Selection icon, and the other, an opaque rectangle with a circle, QM, on the right). Select the Gradient Tool (may be hidden beneath the Paintbucket), and in its Options Bar, select Opaque -> Transparent, which looks like white/black fading to checkerboard (depending on how you have your Transparency set in Edit>Preferences). Make sure that your Foreground Color is set to Black. Click on the lower-right corner of your image, and drag to the upper-left. Let go of the mouse and a red (depending on your Preferences settings, again) to clear "mask" will appear. The "red" will hold back the effect that you apply, gradually allowing more to take place, as the Gradient moves to transparent. If you want the effect to run the other way, just Invert (Shift-Ctrl-I), or just re-do the drag, in the opposite direction. Now, click on the left icon, the one with the transparent rectangle and circle. Marching ants will appear. Go to Selection>Save and assign a name for this Selection, like Diagonal R-L Mask. You will now see it appear in your Channels Palette. If your Diagonal R-L Mask Selection is still active, you can do all of the effects that you would want. If what you want is just a darkening of the image with this mask, I’d now do a an Adjustment Layer, the circle with half-black, half-white, icon on the bottom of the Layers Palette. Same for changing the color – Adjustment Layer>Hue,Saturation, with this mask active. The applications are truly endless – Filters, Levels, Curves, whatever, and the effect will be applied gradually from the corner with opacity to the corner with transparency. If you want more of the effect for a part of the image, just drag the Gradient in QM for part of the diagonal, the majority of the mask will be transparent, and more effect will be applied – same for less, just start higher up on the diagonal.

Now, for part 2 – I do not know what you are attempting to do. Can you be more specific?

Hunt
K
KatWoman
Jul 31, 2005
"tvkodde26" wrote in message

Thanks,

Travis

1-gradient
at layers palette, half moon, gradient (help > tools >gradients) you really need to take the FREE tutorials on adobe or other websites

2-use the little buttons at top right to enlarge the image window inside the application window, image is bound by thin black border on gray background Image size, or canvas size or crop tool

if 2 is the answer to what I think you asked STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER
T
tvkodde26
Aug 2, 2005
Guys, I said I was a beginner. I thought that was my get out of jail card for stupid questions. Anyways, I just wanted to thank both of you for your answers. You definately helped me accomplish my goal with the image. Thanks again.
N
noone
Aug 2, 2005
In article , tvkodde26
@hotmail.com says…
Guys, I said I was a beginner. I thought that was my get out of jail card for stupid questions. Anyways, I just wanted to thank both of you for your answers. You definately helped me accomplish my goal with the image. Thanks again.

No problem. as question 1 is not stupid at all, and probably neither is question 2, but I am not sure that I understand your need. Questions: did the Gradient Mask allow what you wanted? Can you give more of an explanation of your question 2? I still don’t know what it is that you are trying to do there. If Katwoman helped you with dragging the window window around your image to show where it ends, then you have the answer. If not, give us a few more clues.

Hunt
K
KatWoman
Aug 2, 2005

glad my answer helped
I just couldn’t resist the dig
it really is a super noob question
fortunately for you I have a completely computer ignorant husband who asks me similar PS and other questions all day.
I cannot tell you how many times he has called me over to say, I can’t see the edge, I can’t find the window (minimized or hidden), I lost the layer, the tools won’t work (he has selected areas hidden)
My internet explorer window is the wrong size, the toolbar disappeared and I am now the human spell checker for all forum posts he makes. Please do not be afraid, if my hubby can learn PS anyone can.
H
Hecate
Aug 2, 2005
On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:20:52 -0400, "KatWoman"
wrote:

glad my answer helped
fortunately for you I have a completely computer ignorant husband who asks me similar PS and other questions all day.
I cannot tell you how many times he has called me over to say, I can’t see the edge, I can’t find the window (minimized or hidden), I lost the layer, the tools won’t work (he has selected areas hidden)
My internet explorer window is the wrong size, the toolbar disappeared and I am now the human spell checker for all forum posts he makes. Please do not be afraid, if my hubby can learn PS anyone can.
LOL!

Unfortunately for me, my partner is Software Engineer. Which is great except for the fact that she "doesn’t do hardware" as she repeatedly tells me. SO, every little problem she encounters ends with the phrase "of course, it must be the <select a piece of hardware here> and guess who has to find out what’s wrong? 😉

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
K
KatWoman
Aug 2, 2005
LOL guess we have to be grateful for their other talents…

"Hecate" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:20:52 -0400, "KatWoman"
wrote:

glad my answer helped
LOL!

Unfortunately for me, my partner is Software Engineer. Which is great except for the fact that she "doesn’t do hardware" as she repeatedly tells me. SO, every little problem she encounters ends with the phrase "of course, it must be the <select a piece of hardware here> and guess who has to find out what’s wrong? 😉

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
T
tvkodde26
Aug 5, 2005
Thanks for the update. I got the gradient feature to work. Here is what I am trying to duplicate.

http://www.vlbo.com/images/vlbo_main_map.gif

I want to identify the outline (edge) of each state as in the USA Map above. Is this white outline drawn around each individual state or is there an adobe tool you can use to identify the edge, specify the width and color. I have a file for every individual state I want to duplicate this effect for.

Hopefully I haven’t been to confusing.

Thanks for everyone’s help.
K
KatWoman
Aug 5, 2005
Thanks for the update. I got the gradient feature to work. Here is what I am trying to duplicate.

I want to identify the outline (edge) of each state as in the USA Map above. Is this white outline drawn around each individual state or is there an adobe tool you can use to identify the edge, specify the width and color. I have a file for every individual state I want to duplicate this effect for.

open the state image
select the background color using color range
make a duplicate layer
edit clear the background
turn off bottom layer
you should see the state shape with transparent grid showing behind it click layers palette symbol that looks like an f (layer effects) choose stroke, it will be red by default, click the square of color to change the color, use the slider to change the width

this will not give an image like the entire USA just an outline on the chosen state.
I think it’s what you are asking
G
GraphWiz
Aug 6, 2005
tvkodde26 wrote:

Hello Travis,

Katwoman has already done a good job answering this, but you basically want to create a duplicate layer of the state you’re interested in limning, which you can then use to create a "background" outline in the layers palette. In general when you want to highlight or modify the edges of a picture, you want to get to the palette by creating a layer facsimile from the original picture.

Sanjay
T
tvkodde26
Aug 7, 2005
The directions were perfect. Figured it out. Having a problem with another feature now though. I am trying to round the edges of the background rectangle. I am placing the state on a blue rectangle background and want this rectangle to have rounded edges. Is there a simple tool to round the edges? Thanks again.
K
KatWoman
Aug 8, 2005
The directions were perfect. Figured it out. Having a problem with another feature now though. I am trying to round the edges of the background rectangle. I am placing the state on a blue rectangle background and want this rectangle to have rounded edges. Is there a simple tool to round the edges? Thanks again.

choose the SHAPE tool
it has a flyout
use rounded rectangle

more options are in the other dropdowns (specific size, constrain proportions, from center etc)
you also have 3 options on the way shapes are drawn: as a path/selection, as a filled in shape, as a line only (stroke path)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections