When editing a photo how to match it with screen colors?

J
Posted By
Josh
Jul 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a question that bothers me since switching to digital picture taking. When I am editing a picture I match the various color settings such as brightness, contrast, shadows etc based on what I see on the monitor’s screen.

How can I be sure that my monitor is adjusted to match the true colors? Are there any calibration tools or utilities?

Thanks,
Josh

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
Jim
Jul 30, 2005
"Josh" wrote in message
I have a question that bothers me since switching to digital picture taking. When I am editing a picture I match the various color settings such as brightness, contrast, shadows etc based on what I see on the monitor’s screen.

How can I be sure that my monitor is adjusted to match the true colors? Are there any calibration tools or utilities?

Thanks,
Josh
You need to create device specific profiles for both your monitor and your printer. The most popular such tools are Colorvision and Monaco. Jim
J
Jim
Jul 30, 2005
"Josh" wrote in message

Thanks,
Josh
You need to create device specific profiles for both your monitor and your printer. The most popular such tools are Colorvision and Monaco. Jim
CW
C Wright
Jul 30, 2005
On 7/30/05 7:01 AM, in article
, "Josh"
wrote:

Thanks,
Josh
By calibration tools I assume that you mean software that does not already come with your operating system (Macs have better software than PCs in this regard).
As far as tools/utilities take a look at these two sites: http://www.pantone.com/pantone.asp
http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/
These are just two of the major players, there are several others. What you get is a device and software to go with it that will create a custom profile for your monitor. I personally use Pantone’s Spyder2 on my LCD type monitors, but others I am sure will have other favorites. Chuck
R
Roy
Jul 30, 2005
"Josh" wrote in message

Thanks,
Josh

Hi there.

You need to learn up about Colour Management. Have a look at http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ which has very in-depth articles. It is not an easy subject, but it is not rocket science either.

Once you have read up on it, you should set up your workflow and try for correct prints before rushing out and spending even more money on additional hardware.

I don’t have any special C.M. hardware, and my prints are more than just Ok.

If you are using a CRT Monitor, you might get away with just using Adobe Gamma to calibrate it. You might also get away with using the Printer – Paper Profiles from your Printer or Paper maker’s site.

I have to say "might" in the above, because Printers are all slightly different, and people’s colour awareness varies, so while it works for me and my system, it might not work for you.

If you are using a Flat Panel Monitor, you will need a Calibrating Tool, such as Spyder.

Or alternatively you may find a local Calibrating Service, who will come in and Calibrate your Monitor and Printer. Some charge a great deal and others a more modest fee.

But do study up on C.M. first, and do ask for advice from the Real Experts on this NG.

Roy G
J
Josh
Jul 30, 2005
Thanks to you all for your replies but I may not have expressed myself properly. I am not printing my images but what I am refering to is the stage from the jpg "as taken by my digicam" to the correct setting of contrast, brightness and temperature on the monitor screen. If, for example I have set the screen contrast to say 60%, the brightness to 80% and temperature to 6500 then this will be the basis for correcting the shadows, highlights etc of my digicam picture with Photoshop .

So, the question is how can I set the screen to produce a faithful jpg picture (and not a faithful print)?

Josh
CW
C Wright
Jul 30, 2005
On 7/30/05 12:29 PM, in article
, "Josh"
wrote:

Thanks to you all for your replies but I may not have expressed myself properly. I am not printing my images but what I am refering to is the stage from the jpg "as taken by my digicam" to the correct setting of contrast, brightness and temperature on the monitor screen. If, for example I have set the screen contrast to say 60%, the brightness to 80% and temperature to 6500 then this will be the basis for correcting the shadows, highlights etc of my digicam picture with Photoshop .
So, the question is how can I set the screen to produce a faithful jpg picture (and not a faithful print)?

Josh
All of the responses, including mine, that I have seen so far _have_ discussed producing a faithful picture on your monitor!
If you are expecting to be given specific contrast, brightness and color temperature settings as a solution you really need to read much more regarding color management. Often these controls do not even do what the manufacturer’s label would have you believe – for example, the control labeled brightness is often not really a brightness control. The secret of color color management on a monitor is, with a specific color temperature and a specific gamma, getting each color to match a standard. The idea is to have, for example, a color that is Red-50, Blue-100 and Green-150 look the same on any calibrated monitor.
Chuck
R
Roy
Jul 31, 2005
"Josh" wrote in message

Josh

Hi there.

Yes I know we have all gone a little bit further into C.M. than you asked about.

If you think about it, you will realise that in order to get a good print result, everything before that has to be set up correctly. So if you only want to get the monitor correct, then just stop after you have completed the Monitor Calibration stage.

If you are using a CRT then it is very likely that Adobe Gamma will do what you want.

But! How will you know, if it is correct?

Will you transfer files to another computer which also has a Calibrated Monitor, and then compare the colours?

Most of us are re-assured that everything is correct, when we get correct prints.

Roy G
WS
Warren Sarle
Aug 2, 2005
"Josh" wrote in message

How can I be sure that my monitor is adjusted to match the true colors?

There are no true colors. Could you express what you want to do in a less metaphysical way?
J
Josh
Aug 2, 2005
Warren,

All I want to do is look at the monitor and be sure that I correct my images faithfully with Photoshop or any other picture editing program. Again, I am not interested in the printing side of pictures just in correcting them properly.

Josh
C
Creative
Aug 3, 2005
Just buy a Colorvision Spyder and let it do the calibration for you.

Ian Wharton
Creative Photographics
"Josh" wrote in message
Warren,

All I want to do is look at the monitor and be sure that I correct my images faithfully with Photoshop or any other picture editing program. Again, I am not interested in the printing side of pictures just in correcting them properly.

Josh

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections