R
Posted By
Rick
Jul 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to select a portion of an image that is 5:7 or 4:6 ratio. This helps avoid waste time working on an image only to discover that it is a non-standard size.

Creating a 4×6 inch or 5×7 inch selection, how can I resize it proportionally?

Watching the cursor position display numbers, I can create a given size of selection, but to be sure that it is the correct proportion requires that I work my calculator, which is out of the question.

How can I create a selection of a given proportion?

Thanks,

Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn’t ask a question here if I hadn’t done that already.

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
Larry
Jul 22, 2005
"DaveC" wrote
I want to select a portion of an image that is 5:7 or 4:6 ratio. This
helps
avoid waste time working on an image only to discover that it is a non-standard size.

Watching the cursor position display numbers, I can create a given size of selection, but to be sure that it is the correct proportion requires that
I
work my calculator, which is out of the question.

Thanks,

Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn’t ask a question here if I hadn’t done that already.

DaveC

Marquee Tool style: switch from ‘Normal’ to ‘Fixed Aspect Ratio’ -alu
T
Tacit
Jul 22, 2005
In article ,
DaveC wrote:

Easy as pie. Just click on the Marquee tool and have a glance at the Options bar. In the Options bar, you can choose to have the Marquee tool make normal selections, fixed proportion selections, or fixed-size selections. Choose "Constrained Proportions" instead of "Normal" and type the proportions you want.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
P
patrick
Jul 22, 2005
"alu" wrote in message
"DaveC" wrote
I want to select a portion of an image that is 5:7 or 4:6 ratio. This
helps
avoid waste time working on an image only to discover that it is a non-standard size.

Watching the cursor position display numbers, I can create a given size of
selection, but to be sure that it is the correct proportion requires that
I
work my calculator, which is out of the question.

Thanks,

DaveC

Marquee Tool style: switch from ‘Normal’ to ‘Fixed Aspect Ratio’ -alu
Select the Marquee Tool.
In the Options bar click on the Style box to get the drop-down menu. Select Aspect Ratio and set your desired ratio in the boxes to the right. Now draw your marquee around the desired area. PS will force the marquee to keep at your aspect ratio as you vary its size.
You can move the marquee while drawing it by holding down the space bar while dragging the marquee. Do not let up on the mouse!
When you get the area you want, go to Image>Crop. You will now have an image cropped to your selected area with the desired aspect ratio but probably not the size you want.

Now go to Image>Image Size. Put a check in the Constrain Proportions box.

You have two choices in scaling the image to your actual physical print dimensions:
1. Uncheck the Resample box and enter either the width or height that you want. PS will set the other dimension to comply with your aspect ratio and will change the printout dpi to yield that size print. Don’t let the dpi go below 150. Some on this usenet claim you can print at *any* resolution right on up to 1440dpi to get to your desired print size.
2. Check the Resample box and enter the resolution you want to print at
and either the desired width or height. PS will set the other dimension to comply with the aspeact ratio you chose in the marquee operation. This is the method I use because I prefer to have the Epson printer print at 240dpi.

The factors in play in choosing either method 1 or 2 are: Method 1 does not resample. That is, it keeps the same number of pixels that you started with and changes how densely you print those pixels to get the desired print size.
Method 2 resamples. That is, it adds or combines pixels as it scans and analyzes the image. This is anethema to some as it certainly does change what you started with. On the other hand, it lets you control how the printer will handle the image. I’m satisfied that a consumer Epson printer prints best at 240dpi so that’s the factor that I want to control. (Ignore any flames that ensue from my statement of these options.)

If I have not explained this clearly enough, please follow up with another query.
Good luck! . . . . patrick
R
Rick
Jul 22, 2005
Thanks, guys. Simple.

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections