LH
Posted By
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In a continuing effort to force the printer to ignore the canvas as printable, I unlocked the Backround, which is the Canvas, changed it to transparent by clicking on the eye, but the printer still saw the entire canvas as printable. If I click on the eye for any other layer, it won’t print. Why doesn’t this work for Layer 0?

The principle reason for doing this is to speed up the printer. I can accomplish this in InDesign, but that’s an expensive way to go for such a requirement, and I also lose certain configurables, like careful placing of the document in the Printer dialog.

I am using PSCS. A marvelous tool, BTW!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
LenHewitt
Jan 25, 2004
Lawrence,

If you are getting tone in your background there is something wrong with your colour management. Start by creating a new monitor profile via Adobe gamma
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 25, 2004
I am not getting tone; the printer simply covers the entire page and prints nothing in the white. But it does take the time to do it. If I drop an image, say in the center of the page using the Print setup dialog, the paper moves directly to the spot the image starts and begins printing, quitting and ejecting the sheet when the image is printed. If I put the image in the center of the same size canvas, the printer starts the sheet at the edge of the paper and steps through as if it was actually laying down ink, doing this all the way to the opposite edge, data or not. I guess that it sees 255,255,255 as data to be handled. If I create a page in InDesign, the printer reverts to the same behavior as if I simply insert an image using Print Setup in PS. It most likely only sends position information to the printer for the page, and doesn’t send "Whiteness" as data.

I have a series of posters to run. In InDesign (I am trying the tryout at the moment), The printer moves to the first line of type, prints it, moves to the second etc. Much faster!

Anyway, I am wanting to replicate that behavior in PS, and scratch my head at the fact that it sends the page with the backround transparent to the printer as if it is printable. No other layers behave that way, ie if I render that layer invisible, it doesn’t print either.

I hope I am making myself clear here. Equate "Canvas" in PS to "Page" in Indesign.

BTW, my monitor is well cal’ed with a ColorVision spyder.

Thanks!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 25, 2004
i’m scratching my head too. What exactly is the printer doing with the empty space ?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 26, 2004
It’s simply marching along as if something is needed to print at that spot. If you think of a poster with say a black or gray or colored backround, you get the idea. In this case it’s "printing" white, except their is nothing to print. Now, as I said, if I load an image, let’s say it’s 5"x5" centered in an 8.5×11 sheet in Print Setup, the printer finds the starting place for the image. If I put it into an 8.5×11 canvas, the printer thinks it has to start at the edge, just as if it has to print a dark or color backround. I want to con the printer into thinking that RGB 255,255,255 means there is nothing to do until it his type, or an image.

Perhaps it might be done using scripting but I don’t know how.

YET!
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 26, 2004
In my experience, this is normal behavior in photoshop… if I understand correctly.

If your image is 8.5 x 11, even though there’s only pixel data in a portion of that, when you print, you are telling photoshop to print the entire image – it doesn’t necessarily know that there’s no data on the edges so it sends data to the printer that "evaluates" line by line, what to print.

On the other hand, when your image is smaller than 8.5 x 11, you are telling PS to print that size image. Only you are telling your printer (with page setup in photoshop) that the image is in the center of whatever size piece of paper that you have defined. So it knows to go to the center before beginning the print.

The issue, it seems, again if I understand right, is that InDesign is a Page Layout app, and photoshop isn’t. They handle how you print information slighltly differently. I don’t think you’ll be able to replicate the behavior of ID in PS; but perhaps if you think about it differently, you may not need to.

I’m not sure I’m right, but based on what I got from your post, that’s my opinion.

Peace,
Tony
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 26, 2004
Mine also, Tony. What I am trying to find out is how to defeat it. An obvious answer is for PS to have a true page layout capability, if limited to simple things like this. Single pages, no book capabilities and other things that might impinge on InDesign, but something that would work.I thought I had an answer in hiding the Backround by calling it Layer 0, but it doesn’t work. I can see why; hiding the Backround casually can lead to all kinds of headaches!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections