PS-CS and InDesign Needed For Documents With Nice Fonts?

P
Posted By
P._Grig
Jan 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just love the Brioso Pro optical font (OpenType) package. In PS-CS, it produces absolutely beautiful lettering, using context-dependent alternate characters and lovely details. Now I want to use these fonts (and maybe others like them) to send proposals, letters, and fliers to my photography studio clients. But when I try the beautiful Brioso fonts under MS-Word (Word 2002), they don’t look so nice 🙁 (apparently not fully implemented).

Could I solve my problem by buying InDesign-CS and using it as a piece of word processing s/w? My "projects" are quite small–2-3 page letters and small fliers. Any of you non-graphics experts doing this? I’m a little worried that InDesign is only for the Graphics Gurus. It also seems like s/w overkill…but maybe not.

I gather I could use InDesign to output .pdf files that I could directly email to my clients (I send .doc attachments now). But I wonder if writing a simple letter would become too much of an undertaking–like using a sledgehammer to drive a carpet tack.

I thought I’d try this Forum first, since I’m a photographer coming to the problem from a PS background.

Many thanks,
PaulG

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

I
ID._Awe
Jan 25, 2004
Briosso will work as it should with the Adobe CS apps, they have full support for Open Type, Word does not.
RO
Robert_Oliver
Jan 26, 2004
It also seems like s/w overkill…but maybe not.

"Overkill" is a matter of perception. Can you afford InDesign CS? If you can, than it will do just as good a job with small projects as large ones, and it will give you the typographical features that Word doesn’t have.

But I wonder if writing a simple letter would become too much of an undertaking–like using a sledgehammer to drive a carpet tack.

A simple letter in InDesign would be…simple. Just keep in mind that InDesign is not a word processor, and it will not act like Word.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 26, 2004
But I wonder if writing a simple letter would become too much of an undertaking–like using a sledgehammer to drive a carpet tack.

A simple letter in InDesign would be…simple. Just keep in mind that InDesign is not a word processor, and it will not act like Word.

so it’s more like using a pliers to drive a nail… 🙂
I
ID._Awe
Jan 26, 2004
Actually PageMaker 7 would serve you quite well, also, if it is for a ‘qucik letter’, do you have the dreaded ‘Publisher’? It may serve your purpose temporarily until you can decide where to spead your dollars. [que Here Comes The Rain Again].
RO
Robert_Oliver
Jan 27, 2004
Actually PageMaker 7 would serve you quite well, also

Actually, it wouldn’t. PageMaker does not have the advanced OpenType features that InDesign CS does, not to mention that PageMaker is a dead product that won’t be upgraded again.
M
matrixrose
Jan 27, 2004
Keep in mind there is a small learning curve to using InDesign. It is not anything like Word or WordPerfect. I have been using InDesign for a few months now and LOVE IT!, but I’m still learning and InDesign Classroom In A Book has been my best friend.

Cheers,
Rose

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections