JS
Posted By
John Smith
Jul 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just got Photoship CS and was having fun playing with filters when one day, most of them stopped working. All I get is a white page. Bas Relief, Charcoal, Photocopy, Stamp don’t work, but Chalk and Charcoal, Chrome and Notepaper work fine. I tried reinstalling to repair with no luck. I am using the same RGB files off my camera I was before, in fact some of the exact same files.

I am a novice, so this might be something very stupid. Thanks for your help.

Tim

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
johnboy
Jul 16, 2005
"John Smith" wrote in message
I just got Photoship CS and was having fun playing with filters when one day, most of them stopped working.

Are you by any chance trying to use them on a 16-bit image?
JS
John Smith
Jul 16, 2005
Nope, RGB8. It is strange as Charcoal and Chalk works, but plain old Charcoal does not. Upon further investigate, it is only half the filters in the Sketch section, all the others work.

"johnboy" wrote in message
I just got Photoship CS and was having fun playing with filters when one day, most of them stopped working.

JS
John Smith
Jul 17, 2005
Fixed it. Deleted preferences by pressing Shift, ALT and CTRL while starting Photoshop. All is well again (I sure hope this program isn’t that tempermental all the time!)

Thank You!

"johnboy" wrote in message

H
Hecate
Jul 17, 2005
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:32:34 GMT, "John Smith" wrote:

Fixed it. Deleted preferences by pressing Shift, ALT and CTRL while starting Photoshop. All is well again (I sure hope this program isn’t that tempermental all the time!)
Funny how often that’s the solution 😉

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
CC
Chris Cox
Jul 19, 2005
You did notice that those filters use your foreground and background colors, right?
And I’ll bet you had both colors set to white…

Chris

In article <RjcCe.1221$>, John Smith
wrote:

I just got Photoship CS and was having fun playing with filters when one day, most of them stopped working. All I get is a white page. Bas Relief, Charcoal, Photocopy, Stamp don’t work, but Chalk and Charcoal, Chrome and Notepaper work fine. I tried reinstalling to repair with no luck. I am using the same RGB files off my camera I was before, in fact some of the exact same files.

Tim
T
toby
Jul 19, 2005
Chris Cox wrote:
You did notice that those filters use your foreground and background colors, right?
And I’ll bet you had both colors set to white…

Nice lateral thinking, Chris. The years of debugging experience are showing 🙂

–Toby

Chris

In article <RjcCe.1221$>, John Smith
wrote:

Tim
K
KatWoman
Jul 20, 2005
"Hecate" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:32:34 GMT, "John Smith" wrote:
Fixed it. Deleted preferences by pressing Shift, ALT and CTRL while starting Photoshop. All is well again (I sure hope this program isn’t that
tempermental all the time!)

yeah some guy on here was telling us that it can’t be PS doing it! Had to laugh at that one.
It occurs so frequently on Macs and PC’s and on every OS out there! I hadn’t ever had the problem until couple weeks ago. I was using PS, closed it and then it would freeze at "done".
I knew how to fix it because I had read it on here so often. It sucks when it restarts at default! you have to go back and set everything again. I got a really nasty looking print ’cause I forgot to fix my print preferences. Waste of time.
Seems PS would at least acknowledge the same error in each version and work on fixing it before releasing newer versions.
H
Hecate
Jul 20, 2005
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:41:21 -0400, "KatWoman" wrote:

Fixed it. Deleted preferences by pressing Shift, ALT and CTRL while starting Photoshop. All is well again (I sure hope this program isn’t that

yeah some guy on here was telling us that it can’t be PS doing it! Had to laugh at that one.
It occurs so frequently on Macs and PC’s and on every OS out there! I hadn’t ever had the problem until couple weeks ago. I was using PS, closed it and then it would freeze at "done".
I knew how to fix it because I had read it on here so often. It sucks when it restarts at default! you have to go back and set everything again. I got a really nasty looking print ’cause I forgot to fix my print preferences. Waste of time.
Seems PS would at least acknowledge the same error in each version and work on fixing it before releasing newer versions.
Hi Kat,

Just include the Prefs file in your back up solution. Next time it goes wrong, copy the previous back up over the top. You’ll have all your preferences back until next time. 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

K
KatWoman
Jul 20, 2005
"Hecate" wrote in message

It occurs so frequently on Macs and PC’s and on every OS out there! I hadn’t ever had the problem until couple weeks ago. I was using PS, closed
it and then it would freeze at "done".
I knew how to fix it because I had read it on here so often. It sucks when it restarts at default! you have to go back and set everything
again. I got a really nasty looking print ’cause I forgot to fix my print preferences. Waste of time.
Seems PS would at least acknowledge the same error in each version and work
on fixing it before releasing newer versions.
Hi Kat,

Just include the Prefs file in your back up solution. Next time it goes wrong, copy the previous back up over the top. You’ll have all your preferences back until next time. 🙂

yes I will do that. If I need to reinstall it will be good too.

Hecate – The Real One

J
JD
Jul 20, 2005
On 20-Jul-05 16:45, Hecate wrote:

Hi Kat,

Hecate – The Real One

I’m using Windows 98SE and PS 7.01. Where do I find the Prefs file? Is the file I’m looking for called: Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp

JD..
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 21, 2005
"JD" wrote in message news:5IADe.17448
….
I’m using Windows 98SE and PS 7.01. Where do I find the Prefs file? Is the file I’m looking for called: Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp

Here’s a cool script based utility to save and restore prefs that might be of interest:
http://www.rogercavanagh.com/variations/prefsmgr/10_prefsmgr -1.stm

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
H
Hecate
Jul 21, 2005
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:00:17 GMT, JD wrote:

Yes. It should be in Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7 Settings (or something like that, I can’t remember what 98 does). Save the whole folder and keep all your settings.

Hecate – The Real One

J
JD
Jul 21, 2005
On 21-Jul-05 16:54, Hecate wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:00:17 GMT, JD wrote:

Yes. It should be in Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7 Settings (or something like that, I can’t remember what 98 does). Save the whole folder and keep all your settings.

Hecate – The Real One

Pretty good guess, save the whole folder:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings

I will add this to my monthly backup. Thanks!

JD..

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections