GH
Posted By
Graham Hobster
Nov 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to capture a still image from a DVD that I have recently had made from a VHS home movie.
I have tried my usual CapturezePro and Printscreen + paste but all I every get is a black rectangle when pasted into a blank Photoshop image. I am playing the DVD in Windows media player and have tried pausing the player before the capture attempt.

Can anyone help PLEASE

Thanks in advance,

Graham

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
tacitr
Nov 17, 2003
I have tried my usual CapturezePro and Printscreen + paste but all I every get is a black rectangle when pasted into a blank Photoshop image. I am playing the DVD in Windows media player and have tried pausing the player before the capture attempt.

That is correct.

You can not capture a frame from your DVD using Windows Media Player because Microsoft, in an attempt to corner the market on digital media distribution and add a few more billion dollars to its net worth, is playing the game of "suck up to the Motion Picture Association of America."

You don’t know it, but you have stepped right into the middle of an ugly political fight that is currently raging in the courts, the legislative offices, and the corporations in the United States. In fact, there are people in the Motion Picture Association of America who say you do not exist.

Here’s a bit of background:

DVD movies are stored on the disc in an encrypted form. The reason DVDs are encrypted is that the Motion Picture Association of America, or MPAA, is afraid of wholesale copying of Hollywood movies.

The MPAA and another association, the RIAA 9Recording Industry Association of America), spent tens of millions of dollars to pass a law in the United States called the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act," or DMCA. Under the DMCA, it is a Federal crime for any person to write a software program that can take screen shots, samples, or any other content from any protected digital recording, including a DVD. It is also a Federal crime to own, distribute, talk about, or traffic in any software program that can do that.

Now, many people, including an organization called the Electronic Frontier Foundation (but EXCLUDING Microsoft) argued against this law in court. They argued, among other things, that the law makes it a crime to copy pieces of a recording that are protected by "fair use," and the law ALSO makes it a crime to write software that will allow somebody who OWNS a recording, like for example someone who makes his own DVD from his own videotape, to use his own recording however he wants.

The MPAA and the courts said nobody would ever do such a thing–all the people who are trying to take screen captures from DVDs are not the owners, but are pirates trying to steal Hollywood’s money.

Microsoft is currently investing a great deal of time and money attempting to get Hollywood and recording studios to use Microsoft programs to distribute their movies and records online. In order to do that, Microsoft is eager to show that they are willing to make those records and movies un-copyable. As a result, Microsoft is pushing a DMCA-friendly attitude, and is pushing "digital rights management"–essentially, an encryption technique which makes it impossible to copy, say, a sound or movie file from one computer to another.

If Microsoft’s billions and Hollywood’s billions mean that you don’t get to do screen captures of your home movies, well, guess what? You’re screwed. Microsoft’s media player is carefully and specifically designed to stop you from taking screen captures from any DVD for any reason. Even if you own the DVD. Even if you made it yourself.

There is a program that will do what you want. It’s called PowerDVD; you can find it online by doing a Google search. PowerDVD is technically not legal to import into the United States, as it violates one of the provisions of the DMCA, but it has not yet appeared on the MPAA’s radar (and it’s quite popular here in the States). You should have no problem etting it into the UK, even though the UK is in the process of adopting laws that are almost word-for-word copies of the American DMCA.

So now you know.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
S
Stuart
Nov 17, 2003
As Tacit has pointed out PowerDVD will do what you want and is much better at playing the dvds than windows media player. The trial version will only allow five minutes of playing time though. Also the other thing that Tacit forgot to mention is that the DVD program uses an overlaid image setup which is invisible to the normal windows screen capture so you will get a coloured square instead of the video, usually blue or purple.

If you are using an ATI card it has its own dvd playback program bundled with the card and I think it may still capture still images, I know mine does but it is not the latest card or software though.

Stuart

Graham Hobster wrote:

I am trying to capture a still image from a DVD that I have recently had made from a VHS home movie.

Can anyone help PLEASE

Thanks in advance,

Graham

NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Nov 17, 2003
Tacit wrote:

That is correct.

You can not capture a frame from your DVD using Windows Media Player because Microsoft, in an attempt to corner the market on digital media distribution and add a few more billion dollars to its net worth, is playing the game of "suck up to the Motion Picture Association of America."

<Snip ABSOLUTE CONSIRACY BULLSHIT>

The real reason that you can’t take a screenshot is that Windows Media Player pushes the data to the graphics card with a much faster method for smoother graphics, which means the data is never part of the "screen". Disable hardware acceleration, and you’ll be able to take the screenshot.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
K
KB
Nov 17, 2003
"Tacit" wrote in message
There is a program that will do what you want. It’s called PowerDVD; you
can
find it online by doing a Google search. PowerDVD is technically not legal
to
import into the United States, as it violates one of the provisions of the DMCA, but it has not yet appeared on the MPAA’s radar (and it’s quite
popular
here in the States). You should have no problem etting it into the UK,
even
though the UK is in the process of adopting laws that are almost
word-for-word
copies of the American DMCA.
<snipped>

WinDVD will also allow you to capture. I don’t know how widely available it is in the UK, but it’s readily available in the US.
KB
BC
Ben Cooper
Nov 17, 2003
Tacit wrote:
I have tried my usual CapturezePro and Printscreen + paste
but all I
every get is a black rectangle when pasted into a blank
Photoshop
image. I am playing the DVD in Windows media player and
have tried
pausing the player before the capture attempt.

[snip]
There is a program that will do what you want. It’s called
PowerDVD;
you can find it online by doing a Google search. PowerDVD
is
technically not legal to import into the United States, as
it
violates one of the provisions of the DMCA, but it has not
yet
appeared on the MPAA’s radar (and it’s quite popular here
in the
States). You should have no problem etting it into the UK,
even
though the UK is in the process of adopting laws that are
almost
word-for-word copies of the American DMCA.

Where did you get the idea that PowerDVD isn’t available in the U.S.?
I bought a new Sony DVD/CD-RW in August that had PowerDVD bundled with it.

For the OP here is the link to PowerDVD-
http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/index.jsp

Ben Cooper
T
tacitr
Nov 17, 2003
Where did you get the idea that PowerDVD isn’t available in the U.S.?

I did not say that it is not available in the US. It is indeed available in the US, though it contains some features that could, were the MPAA to be interested, result in its being declared in violation of the DMCA.

That has not happened yet, and may never happen. It is, as things stand now, easily available in the US.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
T
tacitr
Nov 17, 2003

Think it’s bullshit? Do a Google search for "Digital millennium copyright act," "DMCA," DeCSS," or "Electronic Frontier Foundation."

The information on a DVD id encrypted via an encryption technology called CSS, or "content scrambling system." Companies wishing to write DVD player software or create DVD hardware must have a key in order to decrypt the DVD.

In the US, the standard contract between a software vendor and the DVD CCA, the arm of the MPAA which handles DVD-related legal and licensing issues, requires that the licensee put specific features into the DVD player software. One of these is that the DVD player software must implement reasonable measures to prevent screen capture or video or audio extraction.

Not all people who write DVD player software license the media keys from the DVD CCA; the CSS encryption standard was cracked years ago. Any company not licensing keys from the DVD CCA does not, of course, have to enter into a contract.

Microsoft’s keys, embedded within Windows Media Player, are licensed. The terms of this license forbid extraction or image capture.

I suggest you spend a few minutes on Google. It’d save you from crying "bullshit" when you can, in fact, easily verify everything I’ve written. —
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Nov 17, 2003
Tacit wrote:

Think it’s bullshit? Do a Google search for "Digital millennium copyright act," "DMCA," DeCSS," or "Electronic Frontier Foundation."

Oh no, I agree with all of the information on DVD encryption. What I disagree with is your assertion that this is the reason that you can’t take a screenshot from within Windows Media Player. It uses an overlay mode for increased speed (A form of hardware acceleration) – this happens with *all* video types.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
BC
Ben Cooper
Nov 17, 2003
Tacit wrote:
Where did you get the idea that PowerDVD isn’t available
in
the U.S.?

I did not say that it is not available in the US. It is
indeed
available in the US, though it contains some features that
could,
were the MPAA to be interested, result in its being
declared in
violation of the DMCA.

That has not happened yet, and may never happen. It is, as
things
stand now, easily available in the US.

My mistake, please accept my apology.
I agree that the DMCA, in its curent form, is appalling. I do have confidence, though, that these problems will be solved after filtering through the U.S. legal system. Much like it was when cassette tape and videotape recorders were finally available for the general public use.

Ben Cooper
R
Rich
Nov 17, 2003
bloody hell – bet his fingers hurt after typing this tripe.

"Tacit" wrote in message
I have tried my usual CapturezePro and Printscreen + paste but all I
every
get is a black rectangle when pasted into a blank Photoshop image. I am playing the DVD in Windows media player and have tried pausing the player before the capture attempt.

That is correct.

You can not capture a frame from your DVD using Windows Media Player
because
Microsoft, in an attempt to corner the market on digital media
distribution and
add a few more billion dollars to its net worth, is playing the game of
"suck
up to the Motion Picture Association of America."

You don’t know it, but you have stepped right into the middle of an ugly political fight that is currently raging in the courts, the legislative offices, and the corporations in the United States. In fact, there are
people
in the Motion Picture Association of America who say you do not exist.
Here’s a bit of background:

DVD movies are stored on the disc in an encrypted form. The reason DVDs
are
encrypted is that the Motion Picture Association of America, or MPAA, is
afraid
of wholesale copying of Hollywood movies.

The MPAA and another association, the RIAA 9Recording Industry Association
of
America), spent tens of millions of dollars to pass a law in the United
States
called the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act," or DMCA. Under the DMCA, it
is a
Federal crime for any person to write a software program that can take
screen
shots, samples, or any other content from any protected digital recording, including a DVD. It is also a Federal crime to own, distribute, talk
about, or
traffic in any software program that can do that.

Now, many people, including an organization called the Electronic Frontier Foundation (but EXCLUDING Microsoft) argued against this law in court.
They
argued, among other things, that the law makes it a crime to copy pieces
of a
recording that are protected by "fair use," and the law ALSO makes it a
crime
to write software that will allow somebody who OWNS a recording, like for example someone who makes his own DVD from his own videotape, to use his
own
recording however he wants.

The MPAA and the courts said nobody would ever do such a thing–all the
people
who are trying to take screen captures from DVDs are not the owners, but
are
pirates trying to steal Hollywood’s money.

Microsoft is currently investing a great deal of time and money attempting
to
get Hollywood and recording studios to use Microsoft programs to
distribute
their movies and records online. In order to do that, Microsoft is eager
to
show that they are willing to make those records and movies un-copyable.
As a
result, Microsoft is pushing a DMCA-friendly attitude, and is pushing
"digital
rights management"–essentially, an encryption technique which makes it impossible to copy, say, a sound or movie file from one computer to
another.
If Microsoft’s billions and Hollywood’s billions mean that you don’t get
to do
screen captures of your home movies, well, guess what? You’re screwed. Microsoft’s media player is carefully and specifically designed to stop
you
from taking screen captures from any DVD for any reason. Even if you own
the
DVD. Even if you made it yourself.

There is a program that will do what you want. It’s called PowerDVD; you
can
find it online by doing a Google search. PowerDVD is technically not legal
to
import into the United States, as it violates one of the provisions of the DMCA, but it has not yet appeared on the MPAA’s radar (and it’s quite
popular
here in the States). You should have no problem etting it into the UK,
even
though the UK is in the process of adopting laws that are almost
word-for-word
copies of the American DMCA.

So now you know.

B
Brian
Nov 18, 2003
I’m using a Radeon 9700 pro with WiMP 9 and ATI’s DVD codec and use HyperSnap-DX 5.3 using the DirectX/GLide capture. Works like a dream. Whole reason I paid for it was the DVD screen-capture feature.

Stuart wrote in news::

If you are using an ATI card it has its own dvd playback program bundled with the card and I think it may still capture still images, I know mine does but it is not the latest card or software though.
B
Brian
Nov 18, 2003
Tacit wrote:

The MPAA and another association, the RIAA 9Recording Industry Association of America), spent tens of millions of dollars to pass a law in the United States called the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act," or DMCA. Under the DMCA, it is a Federal crime for any person to write a software program that can take screen shots, samples, or any other content from any protected digital recording, including a DVD. It is also a Federal crime to own, distribute, talk about, or traffic in any software program that can do that.

I don’t think it’s illegal to take a standard screenshot from a DVD – if I’m not mistaken you can do this easily using only OS X and Apple’s DVD player. (And I know you can do it with Snapz Pro – I’ve done it myself numerous times).

Brian
B
Brian
Nov 18, 2003
Oh, but don’t get me wrong: the DMCA is still an evil piece of legislation. Please visit www.digitalconsumer.org for some activism information to fight the DMCA and similar attemptsq to subvert our fair-use freedoms in the digital age.
T
tacitr
Nov 18, 2003
I don’t think it’s illegal to take a standard screenshot from a DVD – if I’m not mistaken you can do this easily using only OS X and Apple’s DVD player.

I haven’t tried it recently; I know that in X.0 it didn’t work (you got a blank window in the capture).

There was some discussion on one of the mac fora, possibly MacFixIt, about Apple’s contract with the MPAA specifically prohibiting screen caps of a DVD movie. It was quite some time ago, though.

I
imaginuity
Nov 19, 2003
I have to say I LOVE the fact that my pal has bought a plasma TV – I just go over and pause/click as many times as I want

🙂

but lemme say that until they get it right I will not buy a Plasma …… give me a high end regular TV or the new LG 16:9 rear pro any day

He likes it though 🙂 …… at 10 grand he ougtha!

Steve

"Graham Hobster" wrote in message

Can anyone help PLEASE

Thanks in advance,

Graham

TS
Tim Smith
Nov 19, 2003
I just got a All In Wonder 9600 Pro video card, takes GREAT stills from DVD and you can buy a software called X-copy to make a backup of YOUR dvd, works great……………

"Brian" wrote in message
Tacit wrote:

The MPAA and another association, the RIAA 9Recording Industry
Association of
America), spent tens of millions of dollars to pass a law in the United
States
called the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act," or DMCA. Under the DMCA,
it is a
Federal crime for any person to write a software program that can take
screen
shots, samples, or any other content from any protected digital
recording,
including a DVD. It is also a Federal crime to own, distribute, talk
about, or
traffic in any software program that can do that.

I don’t think it’s illegal to take a standard screenshot from a DVD – if I’m not mistaken you can do this easily using only OS X and Apple’s DVD player. (And I know you can do it with Snapz Pro – I’ve done it myself numerous times).

Brian
S
Stuart
Nov 19, 2003
Funnily enough if you put DMCA into google the top of the find list are anti-DMCA sites, ironic eh?

Stuart

Tacit wrote:

The information on a DVD id encrypted via an encryption technology called CSS, or "content scrambling system." Companies wishing to write DVD player software or create DVD hardware must have a key in order to decrypt the DVD.
In the US, the standard contract between a software vendor and the DVD CCA, the arm of the MPAA which handles DVD-related legal and licensing issues, requires that the licensee put specific features into the DVD player software. One of these is that the DVD player software must implement reasonable measures to prevent screen capture or video or audio extraction.

Not all people who write DVD player software license the media keys from the DVD CCA; the CSS encryption standard was cracked years ago. Any company not licensing keys from the DVD CCA does not, of course, have to enter into a contract.

Microsoft’s keys, embedded within Windows Media Player, are licensed. The terms of this license forbid extraction or image capture.

I suggest you spend a few minutes on Google. It’d save you from crying "bullshit" when you can, in fact, easily verify everything I’ve written.
T
tacitr
Nov 19, 2003
I just got a All In Wonder 9600 Pro video card, takes GREAT stills from DVD and you can buy a software called X-copy to make a backup of YOUR dvd, works great……………

That’s actually quite encouraging; it shows that no matter how much they try, pigopolies like the MPAA can’t stop technology with legislation.

Adapt or die, I say. The DMCA aside, if a technology comes along that requires an organization to change the way it does business, then it should change the way it does business. There’s still plenty of money to be made in music and movies, in spite of MP3s and DeCSS; the MPAA and RIAA just don’t want to change, that’s all.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections