Banknote protection, Unauthorized? Uh, not according to the website.

CE
Posted By
Chris_Epler
Jan 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
So, I’m sure this has blown up on here but this is my first time on the forums and I wanted to raise an issue regarding the bank note protection.

According to Adobe when I try to edit a SPECIMEN image I’m being told that Adobe does not support the UNAUTHORIZED processing of banknote images then refers me nicely to a website which explains allowed uses of banknote images and prints.

So, quoting from the site for the United States of America:

I am allowed to edit/print etc this image provided that:

1) the illustration is of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of the item illustrated;

The size is arbitrary, I have not printed it so it cannot be considered 1:1, I doubt I could fool someone at the Quickee mart to take my monitor instead of a $20.

2) the illustration is one-sided; and

Yes, the illustration was a single sided image, no image of the back was in the image.

3) all negatives, plates, positives, digitized storage medium, graphic files, magnetic medium, optical storage devices, and any other thing used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof are destroyed and/or deleted or erased after their final use.

Well, since I cannot edit the image with Photoshop, and cannot complete the work on the image that I wanted to complete and thus have not reached the final use stage, I cannot delete the image and it’ll have to remain on my system forever until Adobe corrects this problem.

So, Adobe, why are you unfairly restricting my LEGAL usage of your product without notifying your users in the documentation, on the box or other means? There are fair and legal uses for scanning in currency and your blocking the usage of these images is a supression of freedom of speech.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 24, 2004
So, I’m sure this has blown up on here

Yes, it has. So please, since this is your first visit here, search the forum before posting something that’s been discussed to death already. And if you want to add your $0.02, which of course you’re free to do, please do it in an existing thread.

Thanks,

Bob
VS
Vernon_Stevens
Jan 24, 2004
Request a refund. Find an alternative product. But then, the newest versions of several other graphics editors have the same software in them too. Go back to an older version of PS if it bothers you that much.

As far as "freedom of speech", Adobe does not have to guarentee you that. What I assume you are referring to is the First Amendment which prevents the GOVERNMENT from suppressing free speech, not a corporation. All sorts of private (read non-government) institutions limit your "freedom of speech" and do so legally.

The only semi-legitimate issue I have seen regarding the anti-counterfeiting measures is one of prior disclosure that they are part of the package. It is for that reason I think you MIGHT not have difficulty getting a refund.

VES

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections