CS won’t allow image size width in picas, depth in inches?

MK
Posted By
Mike_Kerr
Jan 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just installed Photoshop CS for PC and discovered when sizing an image I cannot set image width in picas and depth in inches as I always have done in previous versions of Photoshop. CS seems to only allow setting both dimensions in the same measurement, i.e, width and depth in picas only or width and depth in inches only, but no mixing the two. Is this controlled by a new preference or other setting that I have overlooked? In publishing, page designers frequently work in picas for width and inches for depth. Help!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 24, 2004
Well, Photoshop 7 won’t let you either.
You can change either dimension to picas, or mm, or inches, or whatever, but it defaults right back to whatever is set in prefs for both dimensions the next time you look there.
It uses whatever is set in rulers under Units and Rulers in Prefs.

Mac
MK
Mike_Kerr
Jan 24, 2004
Hmmm. I’d used Photoshop versions 3,4,5 and 6 and always set width in picas and depth in inches. But I skipped 7 and went directly to CS. This lack of versatility in setting image size seems a significant step backward. Anyone from Adobe have a comment about why this was done? Could it be fixed in a patch? Soon???
P
progress
Jan 24, 2004
doubt it…adobe cant understand why i would want rulers in CM, my dpi in inches, and my line thickness to stay in pixels all at the same time. So, you have my sympathy if you want to work in type units as well.

AI seems to do it…wonder why not PS?

(dev team doing other "important" things….?)
SB
Scott_Byer
Jan 26, 2004
You can. Just hold the shift key when switching one of the popups in New… to prevent it from changing the other popup in sync.

-Scott

Hmmm. I’d used Photoshop versions 3,4,5 and 6 and always set width in
picas and depth in inches. But I skipped 7 and went directly to CS. This lack of versatility in setting image size seems a significant step backward. Anyone from Adobe have a comment about why this was done? Could it be fixed in a patch? Soon???
MK
Mike_Kerr
Jan 26, 2004
Thanks, Scott, that works and solves my problem. Much obliged! — Mike

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections