J
Posted By
jbach55
Jan 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an image where I tried to "up" the blue, by using a darker shade of blue, then painting it on at a certain opacity. The image looked fine on my screen, but when I had it printed, there were definite brush marks on it; you could see someone (me) painted it darker. They stuck out like a sore thumb.

When I went back to my computer, I still couldn’t see the marks. I had to look really hard and use the hardcopy print to locate them. Do you know a way to alter the image temporarily, to where it would make any paint marks really stand out? Then I could correct them while I see them, then put the image back to the correct color/density/contrast, etc. I’ve already tried to up the contrast, but that didn’t work. I’m sure there’s a way to make brush strokes to really show up.

Thanks,

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JB
Jonathan_Balza
Jan 23, 2004
In a case like this, seeing the image (or even just a portion of it) would help dramatically.

< obvious>
Did you paint the strokes on a separate layer?
< /obvious>
J
JasonSmith
Jan 23, 2004
try an new levels adjustment layer, then slide the top left slider to the right until your paint strokes show up.
RW
Rene_Walling
Jan 23, 2004
And maybe try an adjustment layer to correct the blue, rather than trying to paint the right shade in.
J
JasonSmith
Jan 23, 2004
Also, depending on how/where it is printed, you may want to view with the appropriate profile installed.

View>Proof Setup>????
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 23, 2004
You can also duplicate the background layer and then apply image: red channel: darken to uppermost layer. Then set uppermost layer to "luminosity".
LS
Loren_Smith
Jan 25, 2004
Jeff,

Just an idea, are you viewing the image in PS at 100 percent? Not all details are visable at lower magnifications.

Loren
J
jbach55
Jan 27, 2004
Thanks for the info. Going up to 100% did help. This file is huge, about 60mb, so 100% is like … huge. But it did help to spot the brush marks.

Thanks,

jeff
J
jbach55
Jan 27, 2004
Thanks for the info. I guess painting the strokes on another layer might have helped. What I did, was darken the bland light blue sky with a big brush with blue. It looked nice on screen. But when it got printed, it showed brush marks like crazy.

Next time, I see where I should do it on a different layer.

Thanks,

jeff

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections