Posted By
jysimon
Jul 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

Since I am buying a new computer, I also want to replace my 7 years old CRT monitor that has served me well.
Since it seems that LCD monitors have outcome the CRT monitors, I have my eyes set on an LCD monitor. My usage of a monito is a mix of different things, but I would like to get more in graphical editors. What are the parameters I need to
look for LCD ? I always heard that for graphic work, a CRT is much better as the color are better, is this still true with current LCD technology ? FWIW, is a monitor with a
constrast of 500:1 is enough ? should I go higher like
1000:1 ? What is also the number 250cd/m2. It seems that have all this number as part of their feature. Right now, mitsubishi and eizo are the nicest ones to my eyes.

Thanks for any information.

Jean SIMON

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

H
Hecate
Jul 7, 2005
On 7 Jul 2005 02:25:36 GMT,
(Jean-Yves Simon) wrote:

I always heard that for graphic work, a CRT
is much better as the color are better, is this still true with current LCD technology ?

Yes. Unless you are willing to spend enough money to buy something like an Eizo, you are going to get better colour repro with a CRT.

FWIW, is a monitor with a
1000:1 ?

The higher the better. It matters far more than the refresh rate.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
J
jysimon
Jul 8, 2005
Hecate () wrote:
Yes. Unless you are willing to spend enough money to buy something like an Eizo, you are going to get better colour repro with a CRT.

Thanks, I’ll continue my search this week-end. Here in Japan, in main stores, clearly the choice is now LCD. Last time I went, there was one 17inch CRT among 20 or so LCD monitor.

The eizo are the nicest ones, but also expensive.o
Thanks,
Jean Simon.
B
baldycotton
Jul 8, 2005
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:01:13 +0100, Hecate wrote:

WIW, is a monitor with a

I can’t say if CRT is better tahn LCD, but I just bought a 19" Rosewill LCD from newegg.com it’s 600:1 contrast and I love it.

It was less than $300 including shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app/SearchProductResult.asp ?DEPA=0
H
Hecate
Jul 8, 2005
On 8 Jul 2005 06:05:06 GMT,
(Jean-Yves Simon) wrote:

Hecate () wrote:

Thanks, I’ll continue my search this week-end. Here in Japan, in main stores, clearly the choice is now LCD. Last time I went, there was one 17inch CRT among 20 or so LCD monitor.

The eizo are the nicest ones, but also expensive.o
Thanks,
Jean Simon.
Most manufacturers are ceasing production this summer. If you need to spend less money you may still find the LaCie Electron Blue 22" or the Iiyama VisionMaster 19" and 22" available. But you may have to order online to get them.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections