GH
Posted By
Gary_Hallenbeck
Jan 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a problem with a very pronounced color shift when printing from PS 7 in Windows XP Pro. I have calibrated my monitor(Diamond Pro 2060U) profile with Colorvision Optical and the image displayed in PS is VERY close to the original. I have tried different profiles in the driver for my EPSON Stylus 7600(currently Bill Atkinson’s). However when I go to print there is a strong shift toward magenta. This shows up in the Print Preview Window (Print is a close match of the Preview). I get the same effect on my HP printer. If I print the same images directly from Windows I don’t have the same problem. (I tried some photos from My Nikon without going through PS)I am using PS 1998 as my RGB work space and have tried all the combinations I can think of with little to no effect on the output. Nothing I do seems to have an effect. Any suggestions?(Computer is a P4 2.53ghz,1gig ram,NVIDIA Geforce 4 with 128meg ram.)
Thanks
Gary H.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 23, 2004
If I print the same images directly from Windows I don’t have the same problem.

Just a guess, but it sounds like your print space. You might want to check out Ian Lyons’ site < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac.htm>, but what print space are you printing to? Try Printer Color Mangement, if you’re not already. From there you may find the "sweet spot" of settings for your printer.
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 23, 2004
wrote:
I am having a problem with a very pronounced color shift when printing from PS 7 in Windows XP Pro. I have calibrated my monitor(Diamond Pro 2060U) profile with Colorvision Optical and the image displayed in PS is VERY close to the original. I have tried different profiles in the driver for my EPSON Stylus 7600(currently Bill Atkinson’s). However when I go to print there is a strong shift toward magenta. This shows up in the Print Preview Window (Print is a close match of the Preview). I get the same effect on my HP printer. If I print the same images directly from Windows I don’t have the same problem. (I tried some photos from My Nikon without going through PS)I am using PS 1998 as my RGB work space and have tried all the combinations I can think of with little to no effect on the output. Nothing I do seems to have an effect. Any
suggestions?(Computer is a P4 2.53ghz,1gig ram,NVIDIA Geforce 4 with 128meg ram.) Thanks
Gary H.

My first guess is you are printing to the Epson profile from within photoshop, and the result is double profiling.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
RH
Ronald_Hirsch
Jan 23, 2004
Gary,

I started using Qimage a while back, and I find it to be a far better way to do all my color printing. The workflow is very simple, and the flexibility that QImage offers re resizing, and putting different images and sizes on one sheet is spectacular.

I have a carefully calibrated SONY 24" monitor, using the Colorvision Spyder, and I’ve calibrated my various color printers and papers combos, and my results are excellent using QImage.

People tend to feel that they have to print from Photoshop, as it is indeed the premier image editing program – which it certainly is for sure. But, for printing, I’ve always felt that it is not the best or easiest path to take. Just as I feel that Photoshop is without peer for editing/retouching. et al, Qimage is without peer for printing.

If you’re not familiar with QImage, check it out at www.ddisoftware.com

Update are free for life, and you can download it for a free trial. Read the manual though – it has tremendous capabilities and features.

Ron Hirsch

++++++++++++++++++

wrote in message
I am having a problem with a very pronounced color shift when printing
from PS 7 in Windows XP Pro. I have calibrated my monitor(Diamond Pro 2060U) profile with Colorvision Optical and the image displayed in PS is VERY close to the original. I have tried different profiles in the driver for my EPSON Stylus 7600(currently Bill Atkinson’s). However when I go to print there is a strong shift toward magenta. This shows up in the Print Preview Window (Print is a close match of the Preview). I get the same effect on my HP printer. If I print the same images directly from Windows I don’t have the same problem. (I tried some photos from My Nikon without going through PS)I am using PS 1998 as my RGB work space and have tried all the combinations I can think of with little to no effect on the output. Nothing I do seems to have an effect. Any suggestions?(Computer is a P4 2.53ghz,1gig ram,NVIDIA Geforce 4 with 128meg ram.)
Thanks
Gary H.
RH
Ronald_Hirsch
Jan 23, 2004
Sorry – I forgot to remove your message in my reply. So I’ll apologize quickly before I get slapped on the wrist. 🙂

Ron
L
LenHewitt
Jan 23, 2004
Removed the Quote for you, Ron
KR
Kirk_Reynolds
Jan 27, 2004
If you are using profiles, you should NOT get what you see in the Epson preview (which is not color managed). That you do, along with the "magenta shift", are the two hallmarks of the dreaded "double color management."

Either use PS or the driver to control color, but not both.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections