B
Posted By
Brian
Jun 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been playing with the dual hue/saturation adjustment layer technique for simulating the use of color filters when converting color images to black and white.

The only problem is that besides viewing how the image changes with each hue adjustment and estimating what filter I might be simulating, I have no idea how to tell what color filter I am actually simulating.

For example, if I set the hue to around -150 (a number that seems to be about right for simulating an orange filter) how do I know it’s actually simulating an orange filter.

I guess my problem is more with figuring out how it works…

If this didn’t make any sense, I apologize 🙂

Brian

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

K
KatWoman
Jun 30, 2005
"Brian" wrote in message
I’ve been playing with the dual hue/saturation adjustment layer technique for simulating the use of color filters when converting color images to black and white.

The only problem is that besides viewing how the image changes with each hue adjustment and estimating what filter I might be simulating, I have no idea how to tell what color filter I am actually simulating.
For example, if I set the hue to around -150 (a number that seems to be about right for simulating an orange filter) how do I know it’s actually simulating an orange filter.

I guess my problem is more with figuring out how it works…
If this didn’t make any sense, I apologize 🙂

Brian

In CS there are photo filters similar to the ones on a lens (81 a&b, etc) of course you can adjust them to other strengths unlike real filters. On the PS site there is a real good tutorial for changing color images to B&W, far superior to the method you describe. It goes beyond desaturate in that you can control how each color is changed separately.

http://studio.adobe.com/us/tips/tip.jsp?p=1&id=519&x ml=phs8colorbw

Do you need to know ‘how" it works to be able to use it? NO. I can’t build or repair a car but I can drive one.
LI
Lorem Ipsum
Jun 30, 2005
"KatWoman" wrote in message

Do you need to know ‘how" it works to be able to use it? NO. I can’t build or repair a car but I can drive one.

🙁 I can build a heck of a car, and have…. but driving? Sheesh! I gotta drive it, too?
K
KatWoman
Jun 30, 2005
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message
"KatWoman" wrote in message

🙁 I can build a heck of a car, and have…. but driving? Sheesh! I gotta drive it, too?
that’s why I am so thankful some people love to create wonderful software like PS,
I sure couldn’t build that but I LOVE using it.
N
nomail
Jul 1, 2005
Brian wrote:

Just temporarily switch off the other adjustment layer, then you know what you are doing.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections