AJ
Posted By
Allen_Jackson
Jan 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hope this is not to dumb of a question but is there a way to create an action to open and close different actions sets?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RB
Robert_Barnett
Jan 21, 2004
Don’t know. You would just have to try it. If you can do it by recording the actions. Try using the Insert Menu Item option on the actions palette flyout menu. This may allow you to add that command to an action. My feeling is this isn’t going to work as it would make it easy to create an action that could make a mess of someones computer. Kind of like a virus, just not as destructive. I don’t know what could be done, harm wise loading up the actions palette with a couple thousand actions.

Robert
DR
Danny_Raphael
Jan 21, 2004
Allen:

If you mean can you record an action that plays another action, then "Yes, this is doable."

If you mean literally open and close an action set to reveal or hide the actions within an action set, those commands cannot be recorded in an action.

Just out of curiosity what are you hoping to accomplish? It’s not a dumb question at all.

~Danny~
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 22, 2004
It’s not a dumb question at all.

It’s actually quite interesting, although I’m straining to find a use for it.
AJ
Allen_Jackson
Mar 1, 2004
The use I have for it is I have two different canvas templates that I use for my work. I have certain actions for each canvas. I was seeking an Action that would open other existing Actions from an Action Button
Y
YrbkMgr
Mar 1, 2004
Well, I must be a bit dense, so forgive me. Why not have the actions you want to use already loaded in your action palette?

Having a button to load actions would functionally, add them to your palette, and then, well, they’d be there. It’s not like they would Unload when you quit photoshop.

Am I missing something?

Unless you mean to call or run other actions that are already loaded. In that case, it’s not only do-able, but I routinely "nest" actions this way.

If you could clarify exactly what you’re wanting, it may help.

Peace,
Tony
DR
Danny_Raphael
Mar 2, 2004
Allen:

This might be a terminology misunderstanding…

Say you have two canvas templates, Template-A and Template-B, and suppose you have template-specific actions in action sets as follows:

Template A actions
* Template-A-action-1
* Template-A-action-2

Template B actions
* Template-B-action-1
* Template-B-action-2

If you have an A template open, is playing all actions (regardless of how many there are) in the A action set what you’re trying to accomplish?

If so, what Tony said will accomplish your objective. It’s possible to record an action that plays other actions in whatever sequence you like.

Your question isn’t dumb by any means. Fact is sometimes the forum method of describing and trying to solve problems gets a little messy when there’s not a clear understanding of the intended goal. Not anyone’s fault, just a known limitation of written communication.

I’ve offered many elegant (and useless) solutions in the past because I didn’t understand a problem. This may be another one to add to the list!

Don’t give up on us. Keep us posted and keep asking/clarifying until we get it.

~Danny~

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections