B
Posted By
BruceMHerman
Jan 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just upgraded from PS v6.01 to PS CS. I have a number of plug-ins under v6.01 that I would like to continue using, specifically Silverfast from my Microtek scanner and my ColorVision plug-ins. I would prefer not to reinstall these.

When I identify my PS 6 plug-in folder as an additional plug-in folder, I get a number of apparently non-fatal errors concerning .ddl files that cannot be located. I say "apparently non-fatal" because I have not done enough in PS CS to know that something is not amiss.

If I select just the Import file beneath the PS 6 plug-in directory as my additional plug-in file, I am able to use Silverfast, but not my ColorVision software. I would prefer not to have to respecify these each time I enter PS CS.

Note that I would also like to maintain PS 6 during the transition to PS CS.

What do you recommend? Re-installing the relevant plug-ins, uninstall PS 6, live with the error messages until I uninstall PS 6 or…?

Thanks,
Bruce

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jan 20, 2004
Bruce,

Some plug-ins do not require reinstallation, while others do. It’s usually a matter of trial-and-error to find out which may need reinstallation.

The first thing you want to avoid, is pointing the secondary plug-in path of PS CS to the Plug-ins path of PS6, as that will also allow PS CS to see the native PS6 plug-ins. That is likely the cause of the non-fatal errors. Not knowing whether the ColorVision software is in the Import directory along with Silverfast or not, I can’t offer too much as to why ColorVision isn’t also seen.

Regardless, one safe approach to take is to create a separate directory for your 3rd-party plugins and place it above the Plug-ins directory. I typically create such a folder at the Adobe root directory level. Then, put all 3rd-party plug-ins you have into that folder, even rebuilding the folder nesting structure if you like (Import, Adobe Photoshop Only, etc.). Finally, point the secondary plug-in path for both versions of PS to that location and try out starting up each version to see if all plugins appear to load properly. If so, great. If not, you may have some plugins that are version-specific to Photoshop or else they require being in the Photoshop Plug-ins folder for some other reason.

Hope that helps,

Daryl

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections