Posted By
dave milbut
Jun 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
check out this FAQ:

LenHewitt "Double-Clicking JPG’s doesn’t work in PS7" 5/7/02 12:42am </cgi-bin/webx?50>

I believe you have the %1 in the reg key, but it need to be surrounded by quotes like this: "%1".

The quotes keep the filename from being translated to 8.3.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave milbut
Jul 12, 2003
I don’t understand either of the responses to your question

are you reading from a news reader or the web charles? if the web, click on the link i provided to read the frequently asked questions topic i pointed out in post #2. (i know the links are hard to see, they’re dark blue now and blend in w/the web page! it’s a recent change.)

if you’re in a news reader, log on to the faq forum (it’s seperate from the photoshop.win forum) and search for a topic w/ the name given)
CW
Charles Winn
Jul 12, 2003
The web, and I still don`t understand!
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 12, 2003
Dave is saying that you need to read this whole thread, and there is a link that should help you solve it in Post #2
CW
Charles Winn
Jul 23, 2003
Try as I might, I can find no link or advice that makes sense to me on this topic. The link referred to in Post #2 is related to Photoshop 7.0 and opening files . Dere Cindy`s problem and mine, is completely different. I am getting truncated file names ad hoc, not consistently, all of a sudden, and I can`t figure out why. In my folders, the names appear correctly, but when I open them in Photoshop 5.5. they now, sometimes, appear trunacted to 8 characters. WHY?
DM
dave milbut
Jul 23, 2003
charles,

Try as I might, I can find no link or advice that makes sense to me on this topic.

Dere Cindy`s problem and mine, is completely different.

no it’s not.

ok. the %1 referred to in that post is a variable name that’s in the registry and ps uses that key to assign the name when opening a file. without the double quotes around it – "%1" – windows will truncate a long file name to the old 8.3 standard. you need to edit the registry key (listed in the FAQ topic link also provided in post #2) to have the %1 in the key changed to "%1" with the quotes.

that said…. I’m not 100% sure ps 5.5 itself can handle long file names. If it can, that’s the cure. If not, you need to upgrade if you want to use long file names. You seem to indicate that it does support the long names since you said it used to work, so the fix refrenced in post #2 WILL work.

finally, if it still doesn’t make sense, i don’t recommend doing this yourself… get a computer (windows) literate friend to help you out. you can really mess up your system if you make a mistake while modifying the system registry.

hope this helps,
dave
V
viol8ion
Jul 23, 2003
that said…. I’m not 100% sure ps 5.5 itself can handle long file names.

It can.
DM
dave milbut
Jul 23, 2003
cool beaners. 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections