AL
Posted By
Alfred_Loeb
Jan 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Somehow I saved a file from Photoshop CS which turned out to be 2GB in size. It cannot be opened, deleted or renamed by any application or the XP operating system routines. It is on my 120GB data drive and I have an exact duplicate image of this drive on my server. The only way I can see of getting rid of this file is by reformatting the drive and rebuilding it from the server. Has anyone else experienced this? The original file from which this file was derived is 112 MB. The file in question may have been layered when it was saved and was 16 bit.

Error messages on delete: File in use by antheer program. (No other programs are running.)

Error messag on attempt to open in PS/CS: Disk error. (I ran CHKDSK and defrag.)

Al Loeb

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
JohnSWhite
Jan 18, 2004
Don’t reformat the drive Al, I used to get these undeletable files with XP. I’m afraid I cannot tell you what the cure was except that it involved deselecting something in the registry and then it went away. Not very helpful but I just hoped to avoid you going to all that trouble. Perhaps it was on Microsoft that I found the instruction or a PC nerd site somewhere. Keep looking.
John
SG
shecky_greene
Jan 19, 2004
Try starting your computer without loading XP – command prompt only – then delete the file.

DEL C:\foldername\subfoldername\filename.tif
R
Rabid
Jan 19, 2004
wrote in message
Somehow I saved a file from Photoshop CS which turned out to be 2GB in
size. It cannot be opened, deleted or renamed by any application or the XP operating system routines. It is on my 120GB data drive and I have an exact duplicate image of this drive on my server. The only way I can see of getting rid of this file is by reformatting the drive and rebuilding it from the server. Has anyone else experienced this? The original file from which this file was derived is 112 MB. The file in question may have been layered when it was saved and was 16 bit.
Error messages on delete: File in use by antheer program. (No other
programs are running.)
Error messag on attempt to open in PS/CS: Disk error. (I ran CHKDSK and
defrag.)
Al Loeb

Open a command prompt, navigate to the folder where the file is. Ctrl/Alt/Del to task manager
Kill explorer.exe under Processes – that is what’s most probably holding the file
Go back to the command prompt, del your file
Restart the PC.
Bingo.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 20, 2004
If it can’t be touched by the OS – then something is very wrong with your OS or disk.

It may be in use because XP is trying to render a thumbnail/preview (and can’t deal with 2 Gig TIFF files).
W
Waldo
Jan 20, 2004
If it can’t be touched by the OS – then something is very wrong with your
OS or disk.

OS is indeed wrong, Windows eXPerimental 😉

It may be in use because XP is trying to render a thumbnail/preview (and
can’t deal with 2 Gig TIFF files).

Your file system might not be able to handle 2 GB files, are you using FAT32 or NTFS?

Waldo
HQ
Hal_Queen
Jan 25, 2004
Question: After saving a cs file, I can’t see it with the OS XP. The thumbnail is black.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections