F
Posted By
Flycaster
Mar 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know if the scratch file in CS is still limited to 2GB per instance using WinXP? (someone asked me this and it *seems* to me it still would be, given XP’s RAM allocation limitations, but I just thought I’d ask)

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EG
Eric Gill
Mar 5, 2004
"Flycaster" wrote in
news:4047737a$:

Does anyone know if the scratch file in CS is still limited to 2GB per instance using WinXP? (someone asked me this and it *seems* to me it still would be, given XP’s RAM allocation limitations, but I just thought I’d ask)

Scratch file shouldn’t be limited by RAM but by the file system it’s on.

I’d imagine the capacity has increased with the new jumbo-sized file limits.
F
Flycaster
Mar 5, 2004
"Eric Gill" wrote in message
"Flycaster" wrote in

You’re probably right. I was just thinking that the 2GB OS instance might be a limiting factor. If it isn’t limited though, I wonder why they still offer multiple scratch disk options in the prefs – maybe it’s just a legacy thing, since 2GB HD’s haven’t been available for a looong time.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
EG
Eric Gill
Mar 5, 2004
"Flycaster" wrote in
news:4047d319$:

"Flycaster" wrote in

You’re probably right. I was just thinking that the 2GB OS instance might be a limiting factor. If it isn’t limited though, I wonder why they still offer multiple scratch disk options in the prefs – maybe it’s just a legacy thing, since 2GB HD’s haven’t been available for a looong time.

OTOH, why delete functionality that’s already there.

I dunno. Maybe Mr. Cox will chime in here.
H
Hecate
Mar 5, 2004
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:47:45 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

"Flycaster" wrote in

I’d be interested to know because I have a spare 30Gb hard drive and I was going to create 4 x 2Gb partitions on it for PS…..

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
EG
Eric Gill
Mar 5, 2004
Hecate wrote in
news::

wrote:

"Flycaster" wrote in

I’d be interested to know because I have a spare 30Gb hard drive and I was going to create 4 x 2Gb partitions on it for PS…..

Well, theoretically, there is no OS reason why not. I’ve got a 7GB file sitting on one of my NTFS partitions right now. But PS was born in the dark days before real computers and, IIRC, uses a scheme of it’s own, which would presumably have to be re-written. Be nice to see a technical note on the subject.
DD
Duncan Donald
Mar 5, 2004
Sometimes I begin to wonder at the questions people ask or more precisely the people who ask the questions. It took me exactly 20 seconds to find the answer from the ‘help’ of Photoshop CS… Not as long as it takes to type the question!!!

"You can assign up to four scratch disks of any size your file system supports. Photoshop lets you create up to 200 GB of scratch disk space using those scratch disks."

Douglas

Hecate wrote in
news::

wrote:

"Flycaster" wrote in

Well, theoretically, there is no OS reason why not. I’ve got a 7GB file sitting on one of my NTFS partitions right now. But PS was born in the
dark
days before real computers and, IIRC, uses a scheme of it’s own, which would presumably have to be re-written. Be nice to see a technical note on the subject.
EG
Eric Gill
Mar 5, 2004
"Douglas MacDonald" wrote in
news:5UV1c.87773$:

Sometimes I begin to wonder at the questions people ask or more precisely the people who ask the questions. It took me exactly 20 seconds to find the answer from the ‘help’ of Photoshop CS… Not as long as it takes to type the question!!!

Douglas, that presupposes you have CS installed. I do not. Possibly Flycaster does not and was simply curious.

However, point taken and mea culpa. The same entry is in the PS7 help file. Apparently the limit has been larger for longer than I’ve been paying attention.

"You can assign up to four scratch disks of any size your file system supports. Photoshop lets you create up to 200 GB of scratch disk space using those scratch disks."
F
Flycaster
Mar 5, 2004
"Douglas MacDonald" wrote in message
Sometimes I begin to wonder at the questions people ask or more precisely the people who ask the questions. It took me exactly 20 seconds to find
the
answer from the ‘help’ of Photoshop CS… Not as long as it takes to type the question!!!

"You can assign up to four scratch disks of any size your file system supports. Photoshop lets you create up to 200 GB of scratch disk space
using
those scratch disks."

Mea culpa as well, I did not see it buried near the bottom of the page. I’ve been through that manual so many times, it’s just a blur. Nonetheless, I wouldn’t waste valuable time wondering – it was just a question, one that all 3 of us did not know the answer to.

DD
Duncan Donald
Mar 5, 2004
True, I had not the slightest idea of the answer myself. It does however demonstrate that all too many of us (I’m not excluded either) who consider we have good Photoshop knowledge… Sometimes miss the basics we chastise other for not using. I feel like such a better person now!!

Douglas
————–
"Flycaster" wrote in message

Mea culpa as well, I did not see it buried near the bottom of the page. I’ve been through that manual so many times, it’s just a blur.
Nonetheless,
I wouldn’t waste valuable time wondering – it was just a question, one
that
all 3 of us did not know the answer to.

H
Hecate
Mar 6, 2004
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:21:08 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

"Douglas MacDonald" wrote in
news:5UV1c.87773$:

Douglas, that presupposes you have CS installed. I do not. Possibly Flycaster does not and was simply curious.

However, point taken and mea culpa. The same entry is in the PS7 help file. Apparently the limit has been larger for longer than I’ve been paying attention.

Me too, both times. 🙂

Anyway, nice. I’ll install the 30 Gb drive and give it all to PS.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
S
Stephan
Mar 7, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message
wrote:

"Flycaster" wrote in

What would be the benefit of making 4 partitions versus just letting PS to use that disk as it is?
I don’t get it.

Stephan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections