FG
Posted By
Frank_G
Mar 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the optimum way to partition a drive and what % of the drive should be allocated to each, approximately:

Windows and all other programs & data files on one partion. Windows swap file/paging file on second partition.
PS on a third partion
Photoshop scratchdisk on a fourth.

Or, PS could be installed in the first partition

Or ?

Right now I have everything (incl Win98SE & PS7) in one partition and it’s a ‘smaller/older’ drrive (20G) – I am planning on upgrading to a larger drive and the newer PS – which I understand will also require an OS upgrade to Win2K or XP, and the HD will have to be prepared in NTFS rather than Fat32

thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

V
Voivod
Mar 3, 2004
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:15:25 -0500, "Frank_G"
scribbled:

What is the optimum way to partition a drive and what % of the drive should be allocated to each, approximately:

Windows and all other programs & data files on one partion. Windows swap file/paging file on second partition.
PS on a third partion

Or ?

Right now I have everything (incl Win98SE & PS7) in one partition and it’s a ‘smaller/older’ drrive (20G) – I am planning on upgrading to a larger drive and the newer PS – which I understand will also require an OS upgrade to Win2K or XP, and the HD will have to be prepared in NTFS rather than Fat32

Placing the scratch disk on a different partition in the same physical disk gives you next to no benefits at all.
S
Stephan
Mar 3, 2004
"Frank_G" wrote in message
What is the optimum way to partition a drive and what % of the drive
should
be allocated to each, approximately:

PS on a third partion

Or ?

Right now I have everything (incl Win98SE & PS7) in one partition and it’s
a
‘smaller/older’ drrive (20G) – I am planning on upgrading to a larger
drive
and the newer PS – which I understand will also require an OS upgrade to Win2K or XP, and the HD will have to be prepared in NTFS rather than
Fat32
thanks
Not quite sure why you want PS on a separate partition.
Having the scratch disk on the same drive but on it’s own partition is not going to give you noticeable speed increase.
What you need is a second drive on the other channel on your motherboard. Having Windows 98 or ME cohabiting with your work on a single drive is dangerous anyway.

Stephan
R
Roberto
Mar 3, 2004
As far as I can tell, you don’t achieve much by having scratch file on a separate partition of a single drive… If you would really like to see some improvement, you’d need to have it on a phisically separate drive.

should

PS on a third partion

Or ?

a
drive
and the newer PS – which I understand will also require an OS upgrade to Win2K or XP, and the HD will have to be prepared in NTFS rather than
Fat32
thanks

J
Jim
Mar 4, 2004
If you have only one drive, then the best partition is no partitioning.

Jim
should

PS on a third partion

Or ?

a
drive
Fat32
thanks

FG
Frank_G
Mar 4, 2004
ok – it seems from the replies that without a 2nd hard drive there isn’t a lot of performance increase. So I’ll get another – how would the two drives be best set up to optimize performance ? Considering PS & it’s scratch disk and Windows and it’s swap/paging file.

xx
should

PS on a third partion

Or ?

a
drive
Fat32
thanks

S
Stephan
Mar 4, 2004
ok – it seems from the replies that without a 2nd hard drive there isn’t a lot of performance increase. So I’ll get another – how would the two
drives
be best set up to optimize performance ? Considering PS & it’s scratch
disk
and Windows and it’s swap/paging file.

No, you want PS one one disk and the swap file on the other disk. And you need the other disk to be on another channel because your computer cannot access two drives on the same channel simultanuously. As for Window’s swap file I wouldn’t bother, 98 is a dog anyways, the best thing you can do with it is upgrade.
Get 2000 or XP, Windows 98 WILL crash and you’ll lose your files and a lot of time.
To increase performance what you really need is a lot of RAM, but then again, 98 doesn’t manage it properly.

Stephan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections