JW
Posted By
JP White
Mar 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just got a second spindle (120GB) and placed the photoshop scratch disk on this. It just occurred to me that I put the second drive on the same controller as the boot drive.

Is there any appreciable advantage of putting the second disk on the secondary controller for a Wintel machine? Or is all the advantage in just having the second disk drive?

JP

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

F
Flycaster
Mar 2, 2004
"JP White" wrote in message
I just got a second spindle (120GB) and placed the photoshop scratch disk on this. It just occurred to me that I put the second drive on the same controller as the boot drive.

Is there any appreciable advantage of putting the second disk on the secondary controller for a Wintel machine? Or is all the advantage in just having the second disk drive?

Unless you’re using a late model SCSI controller, both HD’s on the same controller negate much of the advantage of splitting up the Windows paging file and the PS scratch disk since you’re effectively limited to one IO at a time. In essence, the second HD just becomes another partition, albeit a physical one.

If you have another controller on the MB, split ’em up. You can also throw in another PCI controller card for cheap these days if you have to…

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
EG
Eric Gill
Mar 2, 2004
JP White wrote in news:02T0c.1851$Tn.165
@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

Then you are sharing bandwidth with the other device, and since it’s your boot drive and likely contains your swapfile, that’s a big conflict. Further, you are using the lowest IDE standard on the chain.

Is there any appreciable advantage of putting the second disk on the secondary controller for a Wintel machine?

Or of any machine using IDE.

Or is all the advantage in
just having the second disk drive?

Good god, no.

Move the drive to the second chain as the master. Or third chain, if you have it.
S
supchaka
Mar 2, 2004
JP White wrote:
*I just got a second spindle (120GB) and placed the photosho scratch
disk on this. It just occurred to me that I put the second drive o the
same controller as the boot drive.

Is there any appreciable advantage of putting the second disk on the secondary controller for a Wintel machine? Or is all the advantag in
just having the second disk drive?

JP *

I’ll just take a wild guess that your primary drive is substantiall smaller and most likely slower. You’d be better off making the ne drive your primary and reloading your OS to it. Depending on the spee of the older drive it may also behoove you to not use that disk for scratch at all. Just my two cents

supchak
———————————————————— ———– Posted via http://www.forum4designers.co
———————————————————— ———– View this thread: http://www.forum4designers.com/message52721.htm
JW
JP White
Mar 2, 2004
supchaka wrote:
I’ll just take a wild guess that your primary drive is substantially smaller and most likely slower.

Nice try, but not the case.

I looked at 120GB drives at office depot for $120, they came with $60 of rebates making the effective price $60. So I got two and eliminated the older 60GB drive altogether.

JP
S
Stephan
Mar 3, 2004
supchaka wrote:
I’ll just take a wild guess that your primary drive is substantially smaller and most likely slower.

Nice try, but not the case.

I looked at 120GB drives at office depot for $120, they came with $60 of rebates making the effective price $60. So I got two and eliminated the older 60GB drive altogether.
Beware of rebates, Western Digital just screwed me be letting believe I would get a $50 rebate.
Last time I buy a WD product and last time I do the mail-in rebate thing!

Stephan
JW
JP White
Mar 3, 2004
Stephan wrote:

Beware of rebates, Western Digital just screwed me be letting believe I would get a $50 rebate.
Last time I buy a WD product and last time I do the mail-in rebate thing!
Stephan

The only company to have ripped me off on a ‘large’ rebate was Canon. I bitched and moaned until they paid up the $50 they owed me. A few rebates have bounced because I didn’t follow their requirements ‘to the letter’. There is a certain skill in getting rebates redeemed these days. I agree that you can’t bank on the rebates coming.

The rebates in this case included a Maxtor rebate and an Office depot rebate for $30 each. I would expect Office depot to play fair, I’ll post here if Maxtor don’t pay up by May.

JP
J
Jimmy
Mar 3, 2004
Stephan wrote:

The rebates in this case included a Maxtor rebate and an Office depot rebate for $30 each. I would expect Office depot to play fair, I’ll post here if Maxtor don’t pay up by May.

JP

On the Office Depot rebate, file a complaint with your local district attorney. In this state we have ‘sales’ laws that these companies have been circumventing by offering company rebates from their own retail outlets. Then as you mention, they do their best to void for any reason. When I contacted the DA’s office regarding a OD rebate problem, they already had a stack and were looking into taking legal action. Manufacturer rebates are one thing, but store rebates for retail stores are in a class(less) of their own.

Another suggestion is to take the problem directly to the store’s manager. Let him/her know in no uncertain terms you do not appreciate such BS from them, that you want your rebate, and that you will discourage others from shopping there again. I did this and received my rebate + sales tax.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections