PE
Posted By
phoney.email
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just started playing around with 16-bit images. Now, I knew "Apply Image", for example, doesn’t work in this mode, but what about:

1. Are layers possible in 16-bit mode?

2. Why are colors in the Color palette still shown as 8-bit? I expected 16-bit color.

Thanks.

Don.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Roberto
Mar 1, 2004
You have to remember that while CS is a big step forward in 16-bit support it is no where near complete. We just have to hope that the next version of Photoshop completes the process. As for 16-bit color palette I don’t see the point.

Jerry

"Don" wrote in message
I just started playing around with 16-bit images. Now, I knew "Apply Image", for example, doesn’t work in this mode, but what about:

2. Why are colors in the Color palette still shown as 8-bit? I expected 16-bit color.

Thanks.

Don.
N
nomail
Mar 1, 2004
Don wrote:

That depends which version of Photoshop you use. In Photoshop CS you can use layers in 16 bits color. In any earlier version you can not.

Photoshop’s 16 bits color support is not complete. Do you really need the ability to choose between a few trillion colors instead of "only" a few million colors?

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
PE
phoney.email
Mar 2, 2004
I only have version 6 here, so that means the answer is no

The point of 16-bit color palette is that color data is more than 8 bits and to have it reduced back to 8 bits sort of defies the whole purpose of editing in 16-bit mode. Granted, some hardware may only produce 10 or 12 bits of color data but that’s still more than 8 bits.

Don.

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:10:21 GMT, "nospam" wrote:

You have to remember that while CS is a big step forward in 16-bit support it is no where near complete. We just have to hope that the next version of Photoshop completes the process. As for 16-bit color palette I don’t see the point.

Jerry

"Don" wrote in message

Thanks.

Don.

PE
phoney.email
Mar 2, 2004
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:24:02 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Don wrote:

That depends which version of Photoshop you use. In Photoshop CS you can use layers in 16 bits color. In any earlier version you can not.

Version 6 here so that’s a "no".

Photoshop’s 16 bits color support is not complete. Do you really need the ability to choose between a few trillion colors instead of "only" a few million colors?

What’s the point of using 16-bit mode if colors are reduced to 8 bit?

I know filters work in 16-bit mode but even if I just want to inspect a color it’s reduced to 8 bits and that’s contradictory.

Don.
N
nomail
Mar 2, 2004
Don wrote:

They aren’t. Only the COLOR PICKER is still 8 bits, so you cannot manually select all trillion colors. But they are there nevertheless.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
PE
phoney.email
Mar 2, 2004
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:40:54 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Don wrote:

They aren’t. Only the COLOR PICKER is still 8 bits, so you cannot manually select all trillion colors. But they are there nevertheless.

That’s what I meant. What’s the point if you can only pick 8 bit color?

Don.
N
nomail
Mar 2, 2004
Don wrote:

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:40:54 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Don wrote:

Color and desity corrections can be done without degrading the image. That’s the point. Whether or not you can individually select all the trillions of colors has nothing to do with that.

PE
phoney.email
Mar 3, 2004
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:05:57 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Color and desity corrections can be done without degrading the image. That’s the point. Whether or not you can individually select all the trillions of colors has nothing to do with that.

When I’m working in 16-bit mode I expect to be able to, for example, inspect colors as 16-bit values, not as 8-bit values.

Obviously we have different priorities so we’ll just have to agree to disagree agreeably. 🙂

Don.
G
Greg
Mar 3, 2004
"Don" wrote in message
When I’m working in 16-bit mode I expect to be able to, for example, inspect colors as 16-bit values, not as 8-bit values.

I haven’t been following this thread, but Picture Window (Pro) allows one to inspect the full 16bit-per-channel pixel values.

Greg.
PE
phoney.email
Mar 4, 2004
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:52:30 +1100, "Greg"
wrote:

"Don" wrote in message

I haven’t been following this thread, but Picture Window (Pro) allows one to inspect the full 16bit-per-channel pixel values.

Greg.

Thanks Greg!

But I don’t really feel like getting another program just to do that. I was simply surprised that PS 6 didn’t display 16-bit colors in 16-bit mode.

Don.
G
Greg
Mar 4, 2004
"Don" wrote in message
I was simply surprised that PS 6 didn’t display 16-bit colors in 16-bit mode.

Me too.

Greg.
p.s I haven’t bought PWP either. I may have given it more serious consideration if it could
use Photoshop plugins. I haven’t explored much of PWP, but it seems to be pretty
good value, especially as it has full colour management, in the sense that it allows arbitrary
working spaces, rather than just sRGB.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections