CM
Posted By
cadman_meg
Jan 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know of any good software that will work with adjustment, setting, etc… ICC profile for color management for negative scanner, monitor, PS 7, and printer? Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jan 17, 2004
GretagMacbeth-EyeOne Photo System. Pantone Color Spyder with OptiCal, Monaco EZ Color with Optik etc…None are really cheap however, plan to spend at least $300.00
CM
cadman_meg
Jan 17, 2004
Is this software or hardware? I notice a lot of things out there are hardware that you actually hook up. Have any of you ever used software called "Embed This!"?
wrote in message
GretagMacbeth-EyeOne Photo System. Pantone Color Spyder with OptiCal, Monaco EZ Color with Optik etc…None are really cheap however, plan to
spend at least $300.00
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jan 17, 2004
Do you mean < http://www.colorgrinder.com/Products/Embed_This/embed_this.h tml> ? All this seems to do according to the very sparse description, is to assign profiles to an image and copy it to a directory, which you can easily do with Photoshop.

You need a combination of software and hardware to do it. The lower end systems use your scanner to calibrate your printer, but you still need a seperate device to calibrate the monitor.

Higher end systems use a spectrophotometer. After reading the book Real World Colr Management I was all fired up to get one, but even with a used one, adding the cost of the software brought the total to well over two thousand dollars, or even three grand.

A popular, more affordable solution is Monaco EZcolor, <http://www.monacosys.com/monacoezcolor.html> , but as Christine says, expect to shell out a few hundred dollars.
CM
cadman_meg
Jan 18, 2004
I am not interested in anything that expensive or complex. Maybe I should simplify this especially since any large or professional prints would be done in a lab anyhow. With that said, there has to be an easy and yet affordable way to manage and match the color profiles between my scanner, PS 7, and my monitor without to much work. Could you folks recommend something more suited to that listing all available options? Really appreciate the input thus far and look forward to finding a solution. Thanks. wrote in message
Do you mean
< http://www.colorgrinder.com/Products/Embed_This/embed_this.h tml> ?
All this seems to do according to the very sparse description, is to
assign profiles to an image and copy it to a directory, which you can easily do with Photoshop.
You need a combination of software and hardware to do it. The lower end
systems use your scanner to calibrate your printer, but you still need a seperate device to calibrate the monitor.
Higher end systems use a spectrophotometer. After reading the book Real
World Colr Management I was all fired up to get one, but even with a used one, adding the cost of the software brought the total to well over two thousand dollars, or even three grand.
A popular, more affordable solution is Monaco EZcolor,
<http://www.monacosys.com/monacoezcolor.html> , but as Christine says, expect to shell out a few hundred dollars.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 18, 2004
The "without much work" and "inexpensive" option is to use Adobe Gamma Utility to calibrate and Profile your display ( <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> ) , and Photoshop to assign the scanner manufacturers ICC to the image . Then convert the image to your Photoshop working color space of choice.

The issue is that there are better profiling and calibration systems than the one’s which are "free" , but only you can judge the adequacy of your final output and whether you want to spend the extra money, time and effort to get better results.

Many people get by without buying any additional solutions , your choice .

🙂

Brent
H
harrillj
Jan 19, 2004
I have used Monaco EZColor for some time and had inconsitent results, meaning sometimes I got great monitor to print matching, and then other times I get not so-good results. For the most aprt, it is an acceptable product. It requires a scanner to create the printer profiles and it sells for around $300+.

Then I purchased the "Eye-One Photo" from Gretag Macbeth. This cost about $1,400. They also offer "Eye-One Display" for about $300 but that ONLY creates monitor profiles, NOT printer profiles. The Eye-One Photo uses a hand-held spectro to scan in your printed targets to create RGB printer profiles. No scanner needed. I went through hell for two months with absolutely hideous results with the unit. After weeks of tech support help, and they do help, I got nowhere. I even sent them printed targets from my printer and they created printer profiles for me and sent them back to me, and still, extremely poor results. So I then got Gretag to come to my home, which they did for about 4 hours last week. It was a good session, he confirmed I was doing everything correctly; settings, lighting, monitor profile, soft proofing, etc, but in the end, we got nowhere. We even used their Eye-One spectro instead of mine thinking maybe mine was faulty. They took files, prints, and other things away and were going to work on it. He thought perhaps it was that the spectro can’t read Epson Premium Luster paper correctly, so after he left I created printer profiles with Tetenal, Legion, and Pictorico paper and got equally poor results. I am going to give them about a week and then work hard for a refund.

So… I went back to the Monaco EZColor and I am getting again, most of the time, good results, just not all the time.
JB
John_Blaustein
Jan 19, 2004
harrillj,

What a nightmare! Reminds me of what I went through a while ago with ProfileCity.com in a weeks-long, failed effort at good printer profiles. Now, I’m having all sort of trouble with OptiCAL — see thread "Which monitor to buy? High end 19" LCD, or Sony Artisan CRT" if you are in the misery likes company mood.

John

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections