Posted By
ergobob
May 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Everyone,

I am copying several photos from the Web and pasting them into a new website.

I have found that the jpg format seems to be best in terms of quality, permits use of filters in PS, and the file size is rather small.

When I use gif or bmp, I find the quality is not as good, the options in PS are limited, and/or the file size is larger.

Does jpg format seem like the best choice for copy and paste on the Web in terms of quality and size?

Thanks a lot,

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TT
Tom Thomas
May 25, 2005
"ergobob" <[REMOVE].net> wrote:

I am copying several photos from the Web and pasting them into a new website.

I certainly hope the images belong to you, or you have permission.

I have found that the jpg format seems to be best in terms of quality, permits use of filters in PS, and the file size is rather small.

File size of JPG images is a function of the amount of compression applied and the image content. It’s a tradeoff between size and quality. You can use Photoshop filters because JPG is in RGB color mode.

When I use gif or bmp, I find the quality is not as good, the options in PS are limited, and/or the file size is larger.

GIF is indexed color, and BMP can be indexed color as well. That limits the options in Photoshop. They can be changed to RBG for editing if you need to.

Does jpg format seem like the best choice for copy and paste on the Web in terms of quality and size?

The best choice depends on the image quality and usage. GIF is usually best for images containing large flat areas of color like logos, whereas JPG is usually a better choice for photographic images. JPG does not support transparancy while GIF does.

File sizes can be larger or smaller for either of the two, depending on image content, compression, number of colors (in indexed color images), etc. Try a 4-up comparison in "Save for Web" to see how different options affect the quality and file sizes.
——————
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
OR
Owen Ransen
May 25, 2005
On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:50:07 GMT, "ergobob"
<[REMOVE].net> wrote:

Bob

This 1-page explanation may help you

http://www.ransen.com/Articles/Formats/Image-Formats.htm
CF
Craig Flory
May 25, 2005
My only question is … do you have permission from the owner of the web site ??? If the images are copyrighted there is a $10,000.00 federal copyright law fine when caught. If you have written permission, you are ok. I’m a member of the copyright team from Professional Photographers of America and we check these things out. So make sure you have permission first.

Craig Flory
LI
Lorem Ipsum
May 25, 2005
"Craig Flory" wrote in message
My only question is … do you have permission from the owner of the web site ??? If the images are copyrighted there is a $10,000.00 federal copyright law fine […]

Craig, don’t you folks in Pennsylvania have any clean water? http://www.mindspring.com/~floryphotog/beta/flory/images/mai n/pics/f_001.jpg
CF
Craig Flory
May 25, 2005
The "pond’ is actually just a depression where rain water collects. I guess you thought it would be
fun to grab a copyrighted image. The fines are not a joke. Professional photos are copyrighted and
the fines are as steep as illegally copying a VCR tape or a DVD. I was just trying to point out to the
guy why he should make sure first before grabbing something copyrighted.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections