CA
Posted By
Colin Ackerman
May 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have setup a Custom Proof Setup for my Epson 2100 printer. When I select Gamut Warning I see in gray those areas of the image that do not come within the gamut of the printer profile. I want to desaturate just these areas so I went into View, Color Range and selcted the Out Of Gamut option on the dropdown. I expected the gray areas on my image to be selected but that is not what happens. The areas selected seem to bear no relationship to the Out Of Gamut gray areas. Am I doing something wrong or is it that I am misunderstanding something. Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards Colin Ackerman
Check out my Web site at www.aboveusthewaves.com
It is NOW available, my Dive Trip report to St Vincent – September 2004 On this trip some rare and unusual marine life was captured on film.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Bill Hilton
May 25, 2005
Colin Ackerman asks …

I want to desaturate just these (Epson 2100 color) areas so I went into View, Color Range and selcted the Out Of Gamut option on the dropdown. I expected the gray areas on my image to be selected but that is not what happens. The areas selected seem to bear no relationship to the Out Of Gamut gray areas. Am I doing something wrong or is it that I am misunderstanding something.

The OOG option with View > Color Range shows the out of gamut colors ONLY for the current CMYK option you’ve made in the basic color settings, not the current soft profile profile or any other ICC profile, so you can’t do what you’re trying to do with that tool. I tried the same thing a few years back and learned this the hard way.

Bill
BH
Bill Hilton
May 30, 2005
Uwe writes …

Want to "select/activate" the "gamut" areas, do this:

Look at Edit > Color Settings > Working Spaces: CMYK to see what your default CMYK space is.

When you do the steps you describe with Color Range then the ‘out of gamut’ colors that are shown are for that CMYK color space. Colin doesn’t want that … he is soft-proofing with an Epson 2100 ICC profile and wants to select the out of gamut colors for THAT profile, which are different than the CMYK oog colors.

So what you are describing is true but doesn’t allow you to select the out of gamut colors for anything other than the default CMYK working space, not for a soft proof.

Bill

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections