RC
Posted By
robby_carpenter
Jan 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought a new PC and am reinstalling photoshop 4.0 on a Dell 2.0GHZ PC with 256 MB of ram and XP as the operating system. When I try to start photoshop, I get a message "There is not enough memory (ram) to launch photoshop"

I have deleted the photoshop4.ini file, adjusted the virtual memory, changed the colors and uninstalled and reinstalled and more that I don’t remember.

Can anyone tell me if they have been to get photoshop version 4.0 to run on XP???

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
Jan 16, 2004
Robby,

That can refer to free disk space. How much room do you have on your C:\ drive? Until you have opened PS and set the scratch drive(s) it will use the C:\ drive as its scratch. If there isn’t enough free space there, you will see that error.
RC
robby_carpenter
Jan 16, 2004
The hard drive has a minimum of 20GB free. Thanks.
I
ID._Awe
Jan 16, 2004
You cannot run PS4 on XP. Time to upgrade!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 16, 2004
sure you can.
I
ID._Awe
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah Dave. How?
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 16, 2004
many people here have said they’re running it. most say they need the 4.01 update. do a forum search.
I
ID._Awe
Jan 16, 2004
Well if that works, then the problem will be getting the updater if he doesn’t have it. They have a Spanish updater, but not an English one.
ME
mike.engles
Jan 16, 2004
Hello

You do need 4.01, but you must also set your Windows pagesys file to min 256 and max 1536, or something like that, depending on how much RAM you have. I use that setting with 1GB of RAM.

Mike Engles
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 16, 2004
then the problem will be getting the updater if he doesn’t have it

true. i’ve seen users offer to mail it to other users. someone was hosting it for a while there, but i forget who…
SV
Steve_Vierra
Jan 17, 2004
Hi! I’m a newbie to the forum and PhotoShop. My wife uses it *extensively* on a Mac for business, and I’ve started using 4.0 on my Wintel machine. Like Robby, I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP Pro, and I’m getting the same error message. Did a Google search of the web (including Warez sites) and updater files are either no longer there or German or Spanish. Can I get some help on the English 4.01 updater files?

Thanks in advance!
ME
mike.engles
Jan 17, 2004
Hello

Here it is.http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/ps401udt.zip Also contains a MMXcore.

My setting for the Windows page file.sys is
Initial size 256 MB and Max 1534. I have 1 GB of ram.
If it does not work, you will have to experiment.

To find the page file
Rightclick on My Computer/properties/advanced/performance/advanced/virtual memory. It is best to have the page file on its own drive,separate fro Photoshops.

Mike Engles
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 17, 2004
you’re a good man mike! 🙂
RC
robby_carpenter
Jan 21, 2004
I loaded 4.0.1 and the new mmxcore and it’s working. Thank you for all your help.

rob
BR
ben_rr
Jan 22, 2004
Cheers to you Mike! Well Done!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 22, 2004
glad to hear rob! most excellent mike!
EB
eddie_booth
Jan 30, 2004
I have Photoshop 4.0.1 on XP with 2 monitors (matrox550 card, 1g ram, 2.6 p4)

My question is I can move the photoshop window and working picture onto screen 2 but none of the pallets. (Painter 5.5 has similar prob) The only advice I can get is that if its a MS DOS prog then it cannot utilise the two screens.

Because PS4 is a Win 95 program and the fact half of it does display over two screens I’m trying to confirm that this is a problem only corrected by an upgrade to XP compatable software?

please tell me there is a patch or something!
Cheers, Ed.
JS
John_Slate
Jan 30, 2004
Hey Eddie:
RW
Ray_Walters
Apr 28, 2004
Very similar situation with my new HP Media Center. Installed your update and installed the MMX Core… AWESOME fix. I was so afraid I was going to have to spend the $600 for PS 7.

THANK YOU!
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 28, 2004
I was so afraid I was going to have to spend the $600 for PS 7

Why? The upgrade [to PS CS] is more like $150.
RA
Robert_Anglim
Jun 12, 2004
Same problem, and the fix worked for me too. Thank you. Long time satisfied PS 4 customer.
RW
Ray_Walters
Jun 16, 2004
RC,
Try the following fix below. I had the same problem that you are experiencing. I downloaded the zip file and replaced the MMXcore file and now have my Photoshop 4 back (well, I was able to upgrade to 5 after the fix)

============================================================ ========= <<SNIP>>

Here it is.http://www.btinternet.com/~mike.engles/mike/ps401udt.zip Also contains a MMXcore.

My setting for the Windows page file.sys is
Initial size 256 MB and Max 1534. I have 1 GB of ram.
If it does not work, you will have to experiment.

To find the page file
Rightclick on My Computer/properties/advanced/performance/advanced/virtual memory. It is best to have the page file on its own drive,separate fro Photoshops.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections