LE
Posted By
Leonard Evens
May 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed Photoshop CS2 on a Dell using an ATI Radeon X300 video card. The Adobe Gamma Utility doesn’t appear to work. When I move the slider, it has no effect on the two gray squares, one in side the other. I believe that I have managed to adjust my monitor gamma to 2.2 using the Radeon driver software, but I am puzzled as to why the Adobe utility doesn’t work.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LI
Lorem Ipsum
May 16, 2005
"Leonard Evens" wrote in message
I just installed Photoshop CS2 on a Dell using an ATI Radeon X300 video card. The Adobe Gamma Utility doesn’t appear to work. When I move the slider, it has no effect on the two gray squares, one in side the other. I believe that I have managed to adjust my monitor gamma to 2.2 using the Radeon driver software, but I am puzzled as to why the Adobe utility doesn’t work.

Can you turn down the Radeon’s acceleration? Try that and see if it works.
K
KatWoman
May 16, 2005
I have the same vid card and comp let me know what you find out. I have CS and Illy on here all is well.
I forced the gamma in the monitor settings though not the ATI driver.

A
AlexR
May 16, 2005
Same thing happened to me a long time ago after I upgraded the video card driver. Somehow the system kept the old driver and just added the new one. Removing both drivers and then reinstalling the new one fixed the problem.

AlexR.

KatWoman wrote:
I have the same vid card and comp let me know what you find out. I have CS and Illy on here all is well.
I forced the gamma in the monitor settings though not the ATI driver.

AM
Andrew Morton
May 25, 2005
I find the gamma correction utility in the latest Forceware drivers better than Adobe’s. Easier to use and more
accurate results.

I doubt that it’s better than GretagMacBeths Eye-One Match 3.

I bet it’s cheaper by exactly the cost of a GretagMacBeths Eye-One Match 3.

For those users who don’t need genuinly calibrated monitors, anyway.

Andrew
M
Me
Oct 11, 2005
and create a profile. http://www.xrite.com/home.aspx has the $300 tool that will create the industry standard profile. I was also told by Photo teacher that CRT’s are better than the thin screen for acuracy. I bought the "EZcolor Suite" consisting of EZcikir + IPTIX that will calibrate the monitor, printer, and scanner. Hope this ends the frustration that I also endured. Yea, a lot a bucks, but, if ya want the acuracy, ya gotta buy the tools.
MR
Mike Russell
Oct 11, 2005
"I.P. Daily" wrote in message
and create a profile. http://www.xrite.com/home.aspx has the $300 tool that will create the industry standard profile. I was also told by Photo teacher that CRT’s are better than the thin screen for acuracy. I bought the "EZcolor Suite" consisting of EZcikir + IPTIX that will calibrate the monitor, printer, and scanner. Hope this ends the frustration that I also endured. Yea, a lot a bucks, but, if ya want the acuracy, ya gotta buy the tools.

If you’re getting better results, more power to you. It’s also true that excellent results were being achieved with Photoshop for many years, using Adobe Gamma before such devices were available to the general public. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
K
KatWoman
Oct 11, 2005

On my gaming forum I heard the latest ATI drivers have some issues, maybe try an older version?

I am using radeon 300 with a Dell 8400, but I took of all their programs and started with clean install of XP Pro SP2.
I am using CS too not CS 2.
the driver I have installed is Catalyst 4.12 and Adobe gamma works fine.

check your startup menu and make sure it’s in there and in the control panel
look on your color management tab and see what profile is there
R
Roberto
Oct 12, 2005
I just installed Photoshop CS2 on a Dell using an ATI Radeon X300 video card. The Adobe Gamma Utility doesn’t appear to work.

Leonard, try turning down the Radeon’s hardware acceleration. You may have to even turn it off. If that makes a difference, then… well, it’s probably the driver.

(Did you give up on the Gimp?)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections