Posted By
Clifford
May 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Group

I have a constant problem with image size adjustments/ (Using CS with an Epson 750 Photo Stylus printer and a Mac G4)

When the error message comes saying that ‘clipping will occur’ does this apply to the canvas the image or both. Why can’t I put in a measurement that is under 210 x 297 (8.3 x 11. 7 A4) and produce a print to that size?

I am sure this will be a simple thing but it sure confuses me!

Thanks for your help as always

Cheers

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

A
arrooke
May 16, 2005
Hi Group

I have a constant problem with image size adjustments/ (Using CS with an Epson 750 Photo Stylus printer and a Mac G4)

When the error message comes saying that ‘clipping will occur’ does this apply to the canvas the image or both. Why can’t I put in a measurement
that
is under 210 x 297 (8.3 x 11. 7 A4) and produce a print to that size?
I am sure this will be a simple thing but it sure confuses me!
Thanks for your help as always
Cheers
The Canvas is also image area, regardless of the fact that to you it is a page size. Every part of a Photoshop image/canvas is made of pixels. You are thinking of it as a blank page, whereas they are white pixels. So when you get that warning, it is correct, you will be cutting out pixels. However since to you this white area is blank page, this won’t matter. So when you get your error message, it is safe for you to proceed and all will be well. Unless of course your ‘actual’ image is outside the margin area of your printer. Photoshop centers images by default.

You can avoid this by using the Print With Preview, or Page Set-up dialog. That way you can pre-select a paper size that is larger than the canvas size.

Ever wondered why Photoshop calls it Canvas and Illustrator, InDesign etc. calls it a Page? Now you know.

Keith
T
Tacit
May 16, 2005
In article <BEAE22A6.7202%>,
Clifford wrote:

When the error message comes saying that ‘clipping will occur’ does this apply to the canvas the image or both. Why can’t I put in a measurement that is under 210 x 297 (8.3 x 11. 7 A4) and produce a print to that size?

"Clipping will occur" means "part of your image will be cut off."

What, exactly, are you doing? Arte you using the Canvas Size command? If so, what is the original size of the image, and what is the size after you use Canvas Size?

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
C
Clifford
May 17, 2005
Hi

I am using image size. My objective is to produce a image slightly smaller than A4 (210x290cm).
I guess I am seeking a ‘mugs’ guide!

Thanks for you interest.

On 16/5/05 4:34 pm, in article
, "Tacit"
wrote:

In article <BEAE22A6.7202%>,
Clifford wrote:

"Clipping will occur" means "part of your image will be cut off."
What, exactly, are you doing? Arte you using the Canvas Size command? If so, what is the original size of the image, and what is the size after you use Canvas Size?
BH
Bill Hilton
May 17, 2005
Using CS with an Epson 750 Photo Stylus printer …
Why can’t I put in a measurement that is under
210 x 297 (8.3 x 11. 7 A4) and produce a print to that
size?

The printer needs a bit of room to grab the paper in the long direction for feeding, and it apparently can’t print all the way to the edges in the short direction. Check the manual and it will tell you the maximum size image you can place on A4 paper … typically they need 12-14 mm margin on the long side for the feeder to grab it, for example.

The 750 is pretty old so not sure if this applies, but in newer Epson’s there’s an option in the driver to "maximize print area" or similar, which typically gives you a few extra mm with a warning that print quality may go down in the extra area.
T
Tacit
May 18, 2005
In article <BEAFDA3A.7248%>,
Clifford wrote:

I am using image size. My objective is to produce a image slightly smaller than A4 (210x290cm).
I guess I am seeking a ‘mugs’ guide!

When you get the message saying some clipping will occur, what are you doing? Do you see that message when you use the Canvas Size command, or when you use the Print command?

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections