Posted By
Will
May 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS:
Is a RAW plugin now available for the Canon 350d?
Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
nomail
May 13, 2005
Will wrote:

Photoshop CS:
Thanks

No. Only for Photoshop CS2.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
H
Hecate
May 13, 2005
On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:51:02 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Will wrote:

Photoshop CS:
Thanks

And it’s about time they included it in the CS RAW.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
N
nomail
May 13, 2005
Hecate wrote:

Elzenga) wrote:

Will wrote:

Photoshop CS:
Thanks

Don’t hold your breath. Adobe has a very poor reputation when it concerns supporting older versions.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
H
Hecate
May 14, 2005
On Sat, 14 May 2005 01:14:42 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hecate wrote:

Elzenga) wrote:

Will wrote:

Photoshop CS:
Thanks

Don’t hold your breath. Adobe has a very poor reputation when it concerns supporting older versions.

No, I’m not. I’m looking at other software like RawShooter and Capture

I will upgrade, but when I want to. I’m not going to upgrade just to get ACR for the 350D. 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

BP
Barry Pearson
May 17, 2005
Will wrote:
Photoshop CS:

Download the free DNG Converter, version 3.1. Convert your 350D Raw files to DNG.

CS, with ACR 2.3 or 2.4, should then accept the DNGs. This should continue to work for future cameras too, until new camera technology requires a new version of DNG that ACR 2.3 or 2.4 can’t handle.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/main.html

Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
http://www.birdsandanimals.info/
H
Hecate
May 17, 2005
On 17 May 2005 04:41:47 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Will wrote:
Photoshop CS:

Download the free DNG Converter, version 3.1. Convert your 350D Raw files to DNG.

CS, with ACR 2.3 or 2.4, should then accept the DNGs. This should continue to work for future cameras too, until new camera technology requires a new version of DNG that ACR 2.3 or 2.4 can’t handle.
http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/main.html

Having played with it for a while now, use the Digital Photo Pro software that comes with the camera. Unlike most software made by hardware manufacturers this is actually pretty good (and the same software that comes with the 1Ds II).

Hecate – The Real One

BP
Barry Pearson
May 18, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]

[snip]
Having played with it for a while now, use the Digital Photo Pro software that comes with the camera. Unlike most software made by hardware manufacturers this is actually pretty good (and the same software that comes with the 1Ds II).

How does the image quality compare with the 350D > DNG > ACR 2.4 route?

How does the workflow compare with direct access to the DNGs from CS?

(Actually, that latter question isn’t very important. Where Raw workflow efficiency is important, I would expect someone to benefit from CS2 anyway, because CS’s Raw workflow can be a bit clunky).

Barry Pearson
H
Hecate
May 18, 2005
On 18 May 2005 06:58:07 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Hecate wrote:
[snip]

[snip]

How does the image quality compare with the 350D > DNG > ACR 2.4 route?

A helluva lot better given that ACR 2.4 doesn’t support the 350D 😉

How does the workflow compare with direct access to the DNGs from CS?

I don’t use DNG at any time so I wouldn’t know.

(Actually, that latter question isn’t very important. Where Raw workflow efficiency is important, I would expect someone to benefit from CS2 anyway, because CS’s Raw workflow can be a bit clunky).

<g> That’s good then 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

BP
Barry Pearson
May 19, 2005
Hecate wrote:
Hecate wrote:
[snip]
Download the free DNG Converter, version 3.1. Convert your 350D
Raw
files to DNG.

CS, with ACR 2.3 or 2.4, should then accept the DNGs. This should continue to work for future cameras too, until new camera
technology
requires a new version of DNG that ACR 2.3 or 2.4 can’t handle.

[snip]

How does the image quality compare with the 350D > DNG > ACR 2.4
route?

[snip]

I asked about "the 350D > DNG > ACR 2.4 route", which enables ACR 2.4 to support the 350D.

I wondered whether the OP would be better off continuing with ACR 2.4, or using DPP. But neither of us know, and it would be a subjective judgement anyway.

Barry Pearson
H
Hecate
May 19, 2005
On 19 May 2005 01:35:33 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Hecate wrote:
Hecate wrote:
[snip]
Download the free DNG Converter, version 3.1. Convert your 350D
Raw
files to DNG.

CS, with ACR 2.3 or 2.4, should then accept the DNGs. This should continue to work for future cameras too, until new camera
technology
requires a new version of DNG that ACR 2.3 or 2.4 can’t handle.

[snip]

How does the image quality compare with the 350D > DNG > ACR 2.4
route?

[snip]

I asked about "the 350D > DNG > ACR 2.4 route", which enables ACR 2.4 to support the 350D.

As I don’t trust DNG, I wouldn’t use that route and wouldn’t advise anyone else to either. YMMV.

I wondered whether the OP would be better off continuing with ACR 2.4, or using DPP. But neither of us know, and it would be a subjective judgement anyway.

Personally, I think using the Canon software is the best way to go at least/or until the OP upgrades to CS2. Even then, having used both ACR (different camera) and the Canon software, I’d prefer the Canon software probably (unless ACR has improved a helluva lot).

Hecate – The Real One

BP
Barry Pearson
May 20, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On 19 May 2005 01:35:33 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:
[snip]
I asked about "the 350D > DNG > ACR 2.4 route", which enables ACR

to support the 350D.

As I don’t trust DNG, I wouldn’t use that route and wouldn’t advise anyone else to either. YMMV.

I would advice everyone to investigate DNG, and make up their own mind about whether it suits them. In this particular case, I have used ACR
2.4 to process the DNG files generated from 350D and D2X Raw files by
the free 3.1 DNG Converter. I’m sure it will also work with the other cameras that are new in 3.1. It acts just like processing other Raw files that is supports directly.

I’ve been using DNG for over 7 months. I’ve subjected it to lots of scrutiny, and lots of tests. I haven’t hit a flaw yet. With every upgrade of ACR, with the upgrade of Photoshop, and with every upgrade of the DNG Converter, DNG gets better. Month by month more non-Adobe products support it, about 25 at the last count.

With my last shoot, I converted directly from the card, and once I had DNGs in 2 places and verified by ACR 3.1 under Bridge, I reformatted the cards and lost the original Raw files. The only downside I can see with this is that I can’t then use my camera’s own Raw processing software, but I don’t want to do that anyway. I run with the option to have ACR 3.1 write its setting into the DNG files, rather than use the database or separate sidecar files.

More cautious DNG-users would archive the original Raw files, before working with the DNGs. Or embed the original Raw files in the DNGs so that they could be extracted later if needed. (Adobe certainly recommend against doing what I do!)

The reason why DNGs generated from 350D and D2X Raw files works with ACR 2.4 is the same reason that DNG is a better archival format than original Raw files. Camera-specific information needed to understand the sensor data is written into the DNG, in this case by the DNG Converter. Therefore the Raw processor doesn’t need specific knowledge about the camera, it just needs to check whether it can handle the DNG version. (It is on its 2nd version). This "self contained" nature means that, in future, a Raw processor should be able to get images from DNG files even if no one can remember anything about the camera used for the original!

It also makes it easier to break into the Raw processing business, of course. You don’t need to handle 50 or 100 or 150 Raw formats, just DNG. Then your users can use the free DNG Converter first.

I wondered whether the OP would be better off continuing with ACR

or using DPP. But neither of us know, and it would be a subjective judgement anyway.

Personally, I think using the Canon software is the best way to go at least/or until the OP upgrades to CS2. Even then, having used both
ACR
(different camera) and the Canon software, I’d prefer the Canon software probably (unless ACR has improved a helluva lot).

Deciding whether to use ACR or the camera software really needs a side by side test of image quality and workflow, and decisions will be personal. ACR 3.1 is better in a number of ways than ACR 2.4, such as a curves panel, and non-destructive cropping and alignment. A few camera profiles have been updated, although not mine. But I ran my own calibration so that didn’t matter.

Arguments about ACR versus camera software (versus other Raw processors) will run and run! It is so subjective that even users of the same camera won’t agree.

Barry Pearson
H
Hecate
May 24, 2005
On 23 May 2005 15:54:49 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Please be specific:

"partially published": what is missing? You have to read TIFF 6.0 and TIFF/EP as well, but that is OK. It is right that it re-uses those where relevant. But the DNG specification is published, and about 25 non-Adobe products have been implemented to support it! What did they miss?

Adobe have published as much as they want to publish. I don’t assume for a moment that they have published the specs for *all the code they have developed*.

"free for now": given Adobe’s published worldwide licence to use it, how could they ever charge for it? What court in the world would take them seriously? And since DNG is worth more to Adobe while free than they ever get for it by charging for it, why would they ever want to charge?

I do like your trusting nature in the altruism of large corporations. "Why would they ever want to charge?" To make money of course. That’s what Adobe do and whilst they may employ individuals who are proud of writing good code, enhancing people’s abilities, and producing a nice graphical front end, Adobe exists only to make money. Once they have people hooked on DNG they can alter the spec at any time and then charge for it thorough licensing or whatever other way they can make money. Indeed as I said in the first part of my reply, I have no doubt that Adobe are retaining hidden code just for this purpose. After all, imagine the money to be made if you have the code that everyone uses? Ever heard of Microsoft? 🙂

"averagely engineered": what is wrong with the engineering? I am a qualified engineer with lots of experience of writing and reading such specifications, and I think it is well-engineered.

I’m not an engineer. However, my partner is. I can’t say precisely what she does but if I tell you it deals with lasers, imaging and GIS you can guess the rest. She wasn’t particularly impressed, but then she has to deal with rather more complex issues than DNG.

"a specification that you have to take on trust": what is there to take on trust? When it says "DNGPrivateData has a Tag = 50740", then it has that value! Trust has nothing to do with it.

Are we reading the same thing? I am reading the 50-page PDF file dng_spec.pdf:
Digital Negative (DNG) Specification
Version 1.1.0.0
February 2005

Again, you assume that Adobe has released the whole spec rather than just a simplified version which will do the job for now. Let’s see what happens if a majority of people ever end up using it and more importantly, come to depend on it.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
May 24, 2005
On 23 May 2005 16:18:34 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Hecate wrote:
On 23 May 2005 09:02:15 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Adobe surely won’t drop it for a decade or two, if then! They actually have 2 significant themes for DNG:
Adobe will support it until such times as they see whether enough people have bet their images on it by saving in DNG. If they do, then suddenly converting software will appear which uses hidden parts of the specification that no-one has seen.

What are you talking about? Lots of us have read it end to end! Where can those "hidden parts" be? So can you. It is a freely available specification that you don’t have to register for:

If they weren’t hidden you would be able to see them You can’t see them because Adobe doesn’t release them. I’m sure that when Adobe came up with the idea the first question asked was "how can we make money from it?" Adobe have released enough of a spec to make it work. That doesn’t mean they haven’t developed the idea a lot further and are not releasing that.

Adobe aren’t trying to make money directly from DNG! They make their money from selling Photoshop, etc. DNG will accelerate the growth of Raw shooting worldwide, hence more sales of Photoshop, etc.

Why does Adobe exist? Because it makes money. What are it’s aims? To make more money. See what I’ve said above and in my other replies.

Adobe could probably now no more stop supporting DNG than they could stop supporting TIFF 6.0 and PSD combined. It would be withdrawing support for millions of photographs of many thousands of photographers, many of them professionals, worldwide. Adobe would never recover from that loss of credibility. What would they do: announce "Photoshop CS4 will not support DNG"? And what effect would that have?
And since there about 25 non-Adobe products that support DNG, there are plenty of people waiting to pick up DNG-users! Several of those read DNG and output TIFF 6.0. Doesn’t that make DNG safe?
Firstly, can you open a fully layered CS2 file in PS 5?

Let’s see. Here’s a hypothetical. A lot of people start using DNG. A lot of people end up needing DNG. Adobe sidles up to say Nikon and Canon and says: "Look, we’ve got a lot more code where that came from. For a cross licensing deal and a share of the profits we can turn your proprietary camera out put into proprietary camera output we all own. Then we just pout this in PS as the new DNG (making the old format obsolete in the new and make a lot of money together. Any takers?"

And I can think of a fair number of others as well.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
May 24, 2005
On 24 May 2005 02:16:03 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Clyde wrote:
[snip]

This is not a direct response, but you may be interested.
The problems with the proliferation of unpublished Raw formats are now being addressed more vigorously. The lobby group OpenRAW, and Luminous Landscape, have jointly published "The Raw Flaw", to document the problem.

They are asking Raw-shooters to send a pro-forma letter/email to their camera manufacturers (and any other decision-makers) on the topic. The OpenRAW page contains lots of relevant addresses.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/raw-flaw.shtml

http://www.openraw.org/actnow/

They say: "There really is only one solution – the adoption by the camera industry of…

– Public documentation of RAW formats; past, present and future
– Adoption of a universal RAW format"

This topic is not about to go quiet!

And, as long as they make money from it any letters sent will go in the round filing cabinet.

Hecate – The Real One

BP
Barry Pearson
May 25, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]
What are you talking about? Lots of us have read it end to end! Where can those "hidden parts" be? So can you. It is a freely available specification that you don’t have to register for:

If they weren’t hidden you would be able to see them You can’t see them because Adobe doesn’t release them.
[snip]

Chuckle! Surreal.

"hidden parts of the specification that no-one has seen"… "If they weren’t hidden you would be able to see them. You can’t see them because Adobe doesn’t release them."

Specification means: "A detailed, exact statement of particulars, especially a statement prescribing materials, dimensions, and quality of work for something to be built, installed, or manufactured.

There is something strangely Zen-like about the concept of a detailed exact statement that has bits that haven’t been stated. Either a contradiction in terms, or a logical fallacy, or both.

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 25, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]
Adobe aren’t trying to make money directly from DNG! They make their money from selling Photoshop, etc. DNG will accelerate the growth of Raw shooting worldwide, hence more sales of Photoshop, etc.

Why does Adobe exist? Because it makes money. What are it’s aims? To make more money. See what I’ve said above and in my other replies.

[snip]

I’ll illustrate Adobe’s business objectives for DNG with another example, by other companies, with a published business case.

On the same day that Adobe launched DNG, the PASS Group, including Konica-Minolta, Fujifilm, and Kodak, launched PASS (Picture Archiving and Sharing Standard). PASS is about developing specifications for a "Digital Album" on physical media. (DNG and PASS do not overlap or conflict).

Their white paper, (available from the Konica-Minolta and Fujifilm websites), shows why companies make specifications and standards like this:

"The consumer digital imaging industry has the potential for substantial growth. Yet today, several factors are standing in the way, slowing the growth rate…. Today, many consumers are unaware of the full benefits of digital photography…. With the various products, software, and devices that handle or manage consumer images/content, comes increased uncertainty that the different components will work well together…. If the problems that consumers experience are not resolved, all industries will experience far less growth than there is potential.

"Many industry participants are aware of the consumer issues. By and large, each participant has been trying to single-handedly resolve these complex problems. A direct result is that one solution may be incompatible with the next, because it was built without a common standard. This, too, translates into slowed growth. Often, companies are required to invest in parts of the value chain that do not deliver direct consumer value or are not within the company’s core competences…. Perhaps worst of all, consumers are not well served. Ultimately, they experience barriers instead of choices.

"The consumer digital photography industry needs an environment that will foster growth. It needs conditions that will allow each business to focus on what it does best, delighting their customers, and partnering with businesses for other requirements of the value chain. It needs conditions that provide consumers with freedom of choice – and a wide variety of choices that cater to a variety of needs….

"PASS intends to provide such an environment…. The specification of PASS can be compared to the standards that have made the traditional consumer photography industry possible: Process C-41, standard filmstrip and cartridge configurations, paper formats, etc. Without these standards, photography would have been limited to hobbyists. With them, photography has grown into a large, highly successful, mainstream consumer industry. The specification of PASS promises to do much the same thing for digital photography."

Perhaps they exaggerate the problems, and hence the benefits of PASS. But the essence is there. Specifications of this sort exist to create or grow industries and marketplaces. Then the participants make their money selling products and services into that larger and growing marketplace. This is why so many companies put resources into the development of specifications and standards that they will never sell.

Adobe want accelerated growth of Raw shooting worldwide. They have products to sell for lots of money into that marketplace. Lots of the statements by the PASS Group also apply to Raw shooting. DNG is one of Adobe’s methods to help that growth. For DNG to help that growth, it needs large-scale take-up. And that needs free availability, no restrictions, no costs, etc. Hard-nosed business sense says that Adobe will not interfere with DNG’s role by trying to make revenue from the DNG specification itself. Adobe, of all companies, know the role of specifications in growing marketplaces.

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 25, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]
Adobe have published as much as they want to publish. I don’t assume for a moment that they have published the specs for *all the code they have developed*.
[snip]
Again, you assume that Adobe has released the whole spec rather than just a simplified version which will do the job for now.

[snip]

That confuses "specification" with "code".

Specification means: "A detailed, exact statement of particulars, especially a statement prescribing materials, dimensions, and quality of work for something to be built, installed, or manufactured".

DNG is *specification* – a "detailed, exact statement" of a file format. It is available for anyone to read. Anything not in that specification is not in DNG, *by definition*.

DNG is not *code*. There is no code that anyone can say "this is DNG". There is lots code that reads and/or writes DNG-conformant files. Most of the instances of that code has been written by people and companies other than Adobe. There are about 20 non-Adobe products that read DNG-conformant files, and a couple of non-Adobe products that write DNG-conformant files, all using code not written by Adobe.

DNG comes in versions. Once the specification of a version is published, Adobe can’t change the version. (Its specification is all over the world). Adobe can only bring out new versions. Any code will decide for itself what DNG versions it supports. Adobe can’t dictate it.

Adobe’s involvement with DNG is: It owns the trademark. It is the only company that can bring out new versions of DNG. And it too has products that can read and/or write DNG-conformant files.

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 25, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]
Quick question: How often do you use the last "standard" Adobe brought out? I.e. SVG.

Did Adobe bring it out?

My understanding is that SVG is a recommendation of W3C: http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/

Adobe’s IPR in SVG is identified by:
http://www.w3.org/2001/07/SVG10-IPR-statements

The history of SVG is described here:
http://www.perfectxml.com/apress/SVG/

Adobe provide technology, such as a reader. But they don’t "own" it, and they didn’t "bring it out", in the manner of EPS, PDF, TIFF 6.0, and DNG.

Barry Pearson
H
Hecate
May 25, 2005
On 25 May 2005 04:10:44 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Hecate wrote:
[snip]
[snip]
Again, you assume that Adobe has released the whole spec rather than just a simplified version which will do the job for now.

[snip]

That confuses "specification" with "code".

Specification means: "A detailed, exact statement of particulars, especially a statement prescribing materials, dimensions, and quality of work for something to be built, installed, or manufactured".

No, it doesn’t. You are making the assumption that the written specification will remain cast in stone.

Adobe’s involvement with DNG is: It owns the trademark. It is the only company that can bring out new versions of DNG. And it too has products that can read and/or write DNG-conformant files.

Yes. And if it changes the specification, doesn’t publish the changed specification and is the only company that can produce a DNG reader/writer?

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
May 25, 2005
On 25 May 2005 03:59:34 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Hecate wrote:
[snip]

If they weren’t hidden you would be able to see them You can’t see them because Adobe doesn’t release them.
[snip]

Chuckle! Surreal.

"hidden parts of the specification that no-one has seen"… "If they weren’t hidden you would be able to see them. You can’t see them because Adobe doesn’t release them."

Specification means: "A detailed, exact statement of particulars, especially a statement prescribing materials, dimensions, and quality of work for something to be built, installed, or manufactured.
There is something strangely Zen-like about the concept of a detailed exact statement that has bits that haven’t been stated. Either a contradiction in terms, or a logical fallacy, or both.

Not at all. Take for example an OS. Let’s call it Windows. Let’s say a company designs Windows, and allows developers to develop software for said OS. And gives them to work with an incomplete specification for said product so that there are features in said product which would only be accessible to the company that produced Windows. Would you call that a hidden spec? I certainly would. And it doesn’t matter whether the product is an operating system, a piece of hardware or an image file spec.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
May 25, 2005
On 25 May 2005 04:03:27 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Hecate wrote:
[snip]

[snip]

I’ll illustrate Adobe’s business objectives for DNG with another example, by other companies, with a published business case.
On the same day that Adobe launched DNG, the PASS Group, including Konica-Minolta, Fujifilm, and Kodak, launched PASS (Picture Archiving and Sharing Standard). PASS is about developing specifications for a "Digital Album" on physical media. (DNG and PASS do not overlap or conflict).

Their white paper, (available from the Konica-Minolta and Fujifilm websites), shows why companies make specifications and standards like this:
<snip long multinational promotion leaflet>
Perhaps they exaggerate the problems, and hence the benefits of PASS. But the essence is there. Specifications of this sort exist to create or grow industries and marketplaces. Then the participants make their money selling products and services into that larger and growing marketplace. This is why so many companies put resources into the development of specifications and standards that they will never sell.

Adobe want accelerated growth of Raw shooting worldwide. They have products to sell for lots of money into that marketplace. Lots of the statements by the PASS Group also apply to Raw shooting. DNG is one of Adobe’s methods to help that growth. For DNG to help that growth, it needs large-scale take-up. And that needs free availability, no restrictions, no costs, etc. Hard-nosed business sense says that Adobe will not interfere with DNG’s role by trying to make revenue from the DNG specification itself. Adobe, of all companies, know the role of specifications in growing marketplaces.

Adobe couldn’t care less about accelerated RAW growth except insofar as they can make money from it. That I will agree. After that, nothing is sacrosanct and no "standards" owned by a company are in any way "safe". So long as they can make money from it, they will continue with it. If they can write proprietary data into the "standard" which only they can make money from they will. The moment a better revenue stream suggests itself you’ll find yourself with yet another dead format.

Hecate – The Real One

N
nomail
May 25, 2005
Hecate wrote:

Yes. And if it changes the specification, doesn’t publish the changed specification and is the only company that can produce a DNG reader/writer?

Then Adobe would be the only company that can produce a reader/writer for this NEW version of DNG. If you have converted your propriety CR2 files to the OLD, published standard that everybody can read/write, what would you care? You can simply stop converting to DNG from that moment on, or you can keep using a converter that converts to the older version.

This is like saying "what if the JPEG group would change the JPEG specification and this new ‘JPEG 2005’ specification would not be published?". Well, then you simply wouldn’t use JPEG 2005, would you?

N
nomail
May 25, 2005
Hecate wrote:

Adobe couldn’t care less about accelerated RAW growth except insofar as they can make money from it. That I will agree. After that, nothing is sacrosanct and no "standards" owned by a company are in any way "safe". So long as they can make money from it, they will continue with it. If they can write proprietary data into the "standard" which only they can make money from they will. The moment a better revenue stream suggests itself you’ll find yourself with yet another dead format.

So be it. But what do you think will be dead sooner: DNG or CRW?

BP
Barry Pearson
May 26, 2005
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Hecate wrote:
[snip]

Then Adobe would be the only company that can produce a reader/writer for this NEW version of DNG. If you have converted your propriety CR2 files to the OLD, published standard that everybody can read/write, what would you care? You can simply stop converting to DNG from that moment on, or you can keep using a converter that converts to the older version.

This is like saying "what if the JPEG group would change the JPEG specification and this new ‘JPEG 2005’ specification would not be published?". Well, then you simply wouldn’t use JPEG 2005, would you?

Good response!

I’ll describe the DNG version system, although you may already know it. It becomes obvious that it is impossible for Adobe to play the sort of games that Hecate imagines.

Each DNG specification has a version number. The one published last September was version 1.0.0.0. The one published this January (I think) is 1.1.0.0 – it has small changes. Once published, that version of the specification is frozen – after all, I have version 1.1.0.0 on my PC, so Adobe can’t change it!

Any code that writes a DNG file puts 2 version numbers in it. These identify the range of DNG versions that this file is known to be compatible with. So I guess that my recent DNGs say "1.0.0.0 to
1.1.0.0". (Or they may say "1.1.0.0 to 1.1.0.0" – I don’t know).

Any code reading DNG files knows what versions it is capable of handling, and checks the compatibility range in the file. If it can handle the file – OK. If it can’t, then the code will tell the user, and perhaps suggest an upgrade. I doubt if that is a problem yet, because it is early days.

Suppose that a new camera has a very different sensor configuration, and so asks Adobe for a new version. (This is not a frequent need). So Adobe publishes version 2.0.0.0 of the DNG specification, with extra tags for this new type of sensor. We would expect the new version to be forward compatible.

Any DNG for this new camera will say "2.0.0.0 to 2.0.0.0". Only readers capable of understanding the new tags, and hence the new sensor configuration, can handle it. But any DNGs written for older cameras can say "1.0.0.0 to 2.0.0.0", or still say "1.0.0.0 to 1.1.0.0", or any others of the obvious variants. So both older and the latest readers can handle those files for older cameras.

This all means that DNG-writers, DNG-readers, and Adobe’s publications of new versions, are decoupled in a flexible yet safe way. Bayer-format cameras may continue to write "1.0.0.0 to 1.1.0.0" years into the future. The camera manufacturer can simply ignore new versions. Camera-specific software for that new camera may only accept 2.0.0.0, and reject both older and newer versions. And so on.

What it means is that, once Adobe has published a specification, Adobe is out of the loop. There are simply a set of openly published, free to use, specifications, with unique numbers. Any code is free to write which of these versions it wants, (not necessarily the latest ones). Or read any range of versions it wants, (which may or may not include the earliest ones, and may or may not include the latest ones).

What happens if a camera manufacturer asks for a change and Adobe refuses? Simple – the camera outputs its own variant with the necessary changes, calls it XYZ or whatever, and issues a press release to say why it had to stop using DNG. This would discredit Adobe & DNG – Adobe simply would not refuse to make such a change to DNG! But why would Adobe want to? It doesn’t make cameras, and has no reason to inhibit innovation.

What happens if the camera manufacturer asks for a change, gets it, but Adobe refuses to publish it? I guess the camera manufacturer will publish the change itself, and issue a press release to say why, because the camera manufacturer doesn’t want to be locked into Adobe. Adobe simply wouldn’t refuse to publish the change to DNG.

Why has Adobe devised a version scheme that prevents Adobe playing such games? Because Adobe has never had any intention of playing such games, and wants to present a well-engineered specification that everyone can have confidence in. DNG is intended, among other things, to give everyone concerned confidence in Raw shooting.

The more DNG is studied and scrutinised, the clearer it becomes that DNG is intended to open up the world of Raw shooting, and make it safer, easier, and more flexible. But why would anyone think otherwise? As Raw gets more popular, Adobe will be laughing all the way to the bank, because they have the products to sell into that market!

The only people with something to fear fom DNG are camera manufacturers who intend to coerce photographers into buying their software. They can’t afford this openess.

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 26, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]

Not at all. Take for example an OS.
[snip]

No! Let’s *not* take an OS. We are talking about a specification for a file format, *not* an interface specification for a piece of code. The concepts are totally different. It is important not to think about DNG as code, or even as a specification of code, because it simply isn’t.

Let’s invent DNF, a specification for a "Digital Name Format". Something like: "the file consists solely of an ASCII character string containing the name". (Pretty simple!)

Now suppose I publish that specification for DNF on my website, and suddenly everyone decides to use DNF. Some read it. Some write it. Some do both.

What traps can I put in? Read the specification – are there any traps? What about the hidden bits of the specification? Er … if it isn’t in the specification, by definition it isn’t in DNF. There can’t be hidden bits!

What about traps in software? Er … what software? It is a specification for a file format, not for software. All those people can use existing software (notepad, say). Or write their own code. Or pick up some open source code. Or … if I provide some software, and they trust me, they can use mine. But they don’t have to.

I am not in the loop. I’ve simply put some information into the world, and now it is running free.

That is the nature of DNG. (Well, it is a little bit more complicated than DNF, and you have to worry about big-endian and little-endian ordering, etc). It says nothing about code. It certainly says nothing about an OS. And there is nowhere to hide a trap.

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 26, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]

In what way would it be dead?

It already has about 25 non-Adobe products that can read and/or write it. They can continue whatever Adobe do.

If it became known that a new version of Photoshop didn’t support DNG, it would kill off sales of that upgrade, and probably destroy the credibility of Adobe and Photoshop.

Anyway, how could Adobe stop it working in Photoshop? Couldn’t someone else write a plug-in for it?

I suggest you study DNG instead of making bad guesses about it. You will see it is not the sort of thing you appear to think it is.

Barry Pearson
H
Hecate
May 26, 2005
On Thu, 26 May 2005 00:44:23 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hecate wrote:

And if the camera manufacturers decide to use the new version? After all it’s enhanced for your benefit, and it’ll only cost you more money won’t it? Really, we’re doing it for your benefit they will say as usual.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
May 26, 2005
On 25 May 2005 17:31:14 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Hecate wrote:
[snip]

Not at all. Take for example an OS.
[snip]

No! Let’s *not* take an OS. We are talking about a specification for a file format, *not* an interface specification for a piece of code. The concepts are totally different. It is important not to think about DNG as code, or even as a specification of code, because it simply isn’t.
Let’s invent DNF, a specification for a "Digital Name Format". Something like: "the file consists solely of an ASCII character string containing the name". (Pretty simple!)

Now suppose I publish that specification for DNF on my website, and suddenly everyone decides to use DNF. Some read it. Some write it. Some do both.
The suppose you change the specification so that it requires a specific piece of software to read the results of that specification. .. And suppose that you cross license that to the camera manufacturers so their cameras and your software (or software produced by them) are the only way to read that format if you use the required specification?

And don’t think they wouldn’t do something like that – Nikon have already started with their white blanche encryption.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
May 26, 2005
On Thu, 26 May 2005 01:06:46 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hecate wrote:

Depends whether Adobe can convince the camera manufacturers to use SDNG as a standard. A new D|NG of course, to which only the camera manufacturers and Adobe have access.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
May 26, 2005
On 25 May 2005 17:43:07 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Hecate wrote:
[snip]

In what way would it be dead?

It already has about 25 non-Adobe products that can read and/or write it. They can continue whatever Adobe do.

And that would be no use whatsoever if the cameras you use only use the new specification.

If it became known that a new version of Photoshop didn’t support DNG, it would kill off sales of that upgrade, and probably destroy the credibility of Adobe and Photoshop.

Not for me it wouldn’t and nor for any of the other professionals I know.

Anyway, how could Adobe stop it working in Photoshop? Couldn’t someone else write a plug-in for it?

Alter the specification by including in the specification other features which it doesn’t release. I don’t see the DNG spec as a complete spec you see. I believe it’s just a subset of a master specification held by Adobe, waiting to see if DNG will catch on and if they can make any monetary advantage from it.

I suggest you study DNG instead of making bad guesses about it. You will see it is not the sort of thing you appear to think it is.

If it’s not DNG it will be something else. The difference between you and me is that I don’t trust any of these companies further than I can shot putt a jumbo jet and believe me, that’s not very far at all.

Hecate – The Real One

J
johnboy
May 27, 2005
"Hecate"

Depends whether Adobe can convince the camera manufacturers to use SDNG as a standard. A new D|NG of course, to which only the camera manufacturers and Adobe have access.

Adobe created PostScript and the vendors followed because they knew that the marketplace wanted a level field where any consumer could use their product and the vendors could compete using whatever specific, real advantage they could make. I will bet a year’s salary that they will go the same way to make DNG happen.

Really, these proprietary digicam things are all looking to sell their products to the ordinary person who wanders by a generic counter of digital shit and the consumer doesn’t want to be bothered by thinking. Nor do many professionals.
BP
Barry Pearson
May 27, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]

The suppose you change the specification so that it requires a specific piece of software to read the results of that specification.

[snip]

How? There is no point in discussing things that can’t be done. Let’s stick to things that can be done!

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 27, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]

[snip]

Whether someone can benefit from DNG depends on the products they use and their workflow.

1. Someone who uses a Raw processor that won’t accept DNG will get little or no benefit from DNG. They may decide to archive a DNG version of their Raw files to increase the chance that they will be able to read the files years later. But they will have to work with the original Raw file. Users of the cameras’ own software (currently) come into this category.

2. Users of ACR 2.x under CS may get significant, or little, or no, benefit from DNG, depending on their workflow. I benefited, and someone with a camera only supported by ACR 3.1 / 3.1 DNG Converter can benefit a lot, as shown in this thread. But others may not benefit, or only a little.

3. Users of ACR 3.1 under CS2 are likely to get significant benefit from DNG. This is the release where its benefits have become much more obvious. Since upgrading, I have started to convert to DNG straight from the card without an embedded version of the original file. (Against the advice of Adobe). Being able to hold ACR 3.1 settings and adjustments within the DNG file in a non-destructive way makes file management easier. Obviously I get the benefits of the smaller file size.

The sort of people who write books about how to use Photoshop are writing about DNG in the CS2 versions their books. I think this will have a big influence on both amateurs and professionals. Examples:

– Martin Evening talks about DNG in his new "Photoshop CS2" book. (Until I buy it, I won’t know how far he "pushes" DNG).

– Bruce Fraser has a chapter about using DNG in your workflow in his new "Camera Raw" book, and I believe a lot of people base their workflow on his books. (I certainly did).

– Jeff Schewe is writing about how to build DNG into your workflow with ACR 3.1 and CS2:
http://photoshopnews.com/2005/05/23/dng-workflow-part-i/ http://photoshopnews.com/2005/05/25/dng-workflow-part-ii/

Earlier in this thread I said: "I would advice everyone to investigate DNG, and make up their own mind about whether it suits them". That is still my advice. It doesn’t (yet) suit you, although whether that is because it really wouldn’t improve your workflow, or simply because you don’t trust it, I can’t judge. But there is no doubt that many will benefit, and as those people increasingly use it, it will become clear that Adobe could not simply remove it from a future version of Photoshop. (Although no one is giving credible reasons why they would want to).

Barry Pearson
LI
Lorem Ipsum
May 27, 2005
"Hecate" wrote in message

DNG converter is also a stand-alone.
The specification is public.
Vendors other than Adobe can write conversion applications. There will be no license fees associated.
End of subject?

If it’s not DNG it will be something else. The difference between you and me is that I don’t trust any of these companies further than I can shot putt a jumbo jet and believe me, that’s not very far at all.

Look to the history of PostScript.
H
Hecate
May 28, 2005
On 27 May 2005 02:55:29 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Hecate wrote:
[snip]

The suppose you change the specification so that it requires a specific piece of software to read the results of that specification.

[snip]

How? There is no point in discussing things that can’t be done. Let’s stick to things that can be done!

Adding file encryption as a prerequisite in the spec.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
May 28, 2005
On 27 May 2005 03:26:50 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Earlier in this thread I said: "I would advice everyone to investigate DNG, and make up their own mind about whether it suits them". That is still my advice. It doesn’t (yet) suit you, although whether that is because it really wouldn’t improve your workflow, or simply because you don’t trust it, I can’t judge. But there is no doubt that many will benefit, and as those people increasingly use it, it will become clear that Adobe could not simply remove it from a future version of Photoshop. (Although no one is giving credible reasons why they would want to).

I agree except for the last sentence. I’ve never talked about removing – simply changing the specification.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
May 28, 2005
On Fri, 27 May 2005 11:45:58 -0500, "Lorem Ipsum" wrote:

DNG converter is also a stand-alone.
The specification is public.
Vendors other than Adobe can write conversion applications. There will be no license fees associated.
End of subject?

Only if you believe that they’ll never change the specification and that they’ll always release the new specification for free.

Look to the history of PostScript.
Makes no difference. You can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that a licence fee is paid to use it? Even if there isn’t citing an apple when the issue is oranges doesn’t make a difference.

It’s simple for me – I look at a politician and I think "Why is that bast**d lying to me." I look at a corporate and I think "What are those bast**ds trying to do to screw me out of more money".

Hecate – The Real One

BP
Barry Pearson
May 28, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On 27 May 2005 02:55:29 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:
[snip]

[snip]

Adding file encryption as a prerequisite in the spec.

(Why would encryption require a "specific piece of software"?)

That would have to be done in a new version. Let’s say DNG version

Anyone writing DNG files could choose to ignore version 2.0.0.0. (DNG files identify what versions they conform to). Anyone reading DNG files could choose not to read version 2.0.0.0. The world would then continue without anyone (except Adobe) bothering with version 2.0.0.0, or being constrained by it.

Once a DNG version has been published, Adobe is not in the loop. That version (and we currently have 1.0.0.0 and 1.1.0.0) may be in active use for decades, if it is suitable for the products using it.

I believe all your fears about DNG arise from your lack of detailed knowledge of it. It simply isn’t what you appear to think it is.

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 28, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2005 00:44:23 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:
Hecate wrote:
[snip]

And if the camera manufacturers decide to use the new version? After all it’s enhanced for your benefit, and it’ll only cost you more money won’t it? Really, we’re doing it for your benefit they will say as usual.

If it isn’t published as a DNG version, it is pointless to think of it as DNG at all! So it has nothing to do with this discussion.

If Adobe managed to agree some private Raw format with camera manufacturers, that would be no different from any other Raw processor company doing the same. The camera manufacturers would be stupid to do it, because they would lose the ability for their users to use the tools of their choice, which might give better results than ACR. And this would simply be a far worse version of the Nikon WB encryption fiasco! Instead of trying to lock in their users to Nikon Capture, which proved to be a public relations nightmare, they would be locking them in to something lots more expensive.

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 28, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On 27 May 2005 03:26:50 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

I agree except for the last sentence. I’ve never talked about removing – simply changing the specification.

They can’t change the specification. (How can anyone change a specification that vast numbers of people have?) They add new versions of the specification. All the previous versions still exist in the field.

If they continue to support all the previous versions, what is the problem? If they don’t, then what I said applies.

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 28, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]
Only if you believe that they’ll never change the specification and that they’ll always release the new specification for free.

[snip]

(Aren’t "never change the specification" and "always release the new specification" contradictory?)

"DNG Specification" means any version of the Adobe Digital Negative (DNG) Specification made publicly available by Adobe. (So if it isn’t made public, for legal purposes it isn’t a DNG specification).

Adobe grants all individuals and organizations the worldwide, royalty-free, non-transferable, non-exclusive right under all Essential Claims to make, have made, use, sell, import and distribute Compliant Implementations of DNG.

No court will take Adobe seriously if they try to change that and then sue a company that built their business on that!

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/license.html

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 28, 2005
Hecate wrote:
[snip]

They say: "There really is only one solution – the adoption by the camera industry of…

And, as long as they make money from it any letters sent will go in the round filing cabinet.

Who is "they"?

What is "it"?

How can "they make money from it"?

Barry Pearson
N
nomail
May 28, 2005
Hecate wrote:

ROTFL. Do you see Nikon starting to use a proprietary version of Adobe DNG in their cameras? Yeah right, that will be the day! A version with double encrypted WB, no doubt!

Besides, who’s holding a knife at your throat forcing you to buy that camera?

N
nomail
May 28, 2005
Hecate wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2005 01:06:46 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hecate wrote:

Don’t hold your breath So far, Adobe can’t even convince them to use DNG
1.0. It wouldn’t make sense at all. Why would Nikon or Canon share some
proprietary RAW format with Adobe? They already have their own format they do not have to share with anyone.

H
Hecate
May 28, 2005
On 28 May 2005 11:51:01 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Hecate wrote:
[snip]

Who is "they"?

What is "it"?

If you read the post I replied to you’d know.

This is pointless. You obviously think that a trademarked format (yes it is, the specification describes, essentially, a file format), which Adobe can do whatever it wants with, whenever it wants, is worth betting your life on. So, go ahead and do it.

Hecate – The Real One

CC
Chris Cox
May 29, 2005
In article , Hecate
wrote:

On 23 May 2005 03:36:41 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

It is best to think of it as an openly published, freely licensed, well-engineered, specification.

I prefer to think of it as partially published, free for now, averagely engineered, with a specification that you have to take on trust.

Try: fully publicly documented, free and promised to keep it free, well engineered, and with an open specification that anybody can judge.

You really should see someone about your paranoia.

Chris
BP
Barry Pearson
May 29, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On 28 May 2005 11:51:01 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:
Hecate wrote:
[snip]

Who is "they"?

What is "it"?

If you read the post I replied to you’d know.

This is pointless. You obviously think that a trademarked format (yes it is, the specification describes, essentially, a file format), which Adobe can do whatever it wants with, whenever it wants, is worth betting your life on. So, go ahead and do it.

As far as I can tell, this bit of the thread is not about Adobe! (Read the post you replied to).

My guess is that your "they" meant the camera manufacturers? After all, that is who the OpenRAW lobbying is directed towards.

That suggests that your "it" meant "non-publication of Raw formats"? After all, that is what OpenRAW is trying to change. Or perhaps your "it" meant "proliferation of Raw formats"?

But how much money are the camera manufacturers making from non-publication of Raw formats? Sure it costs money to publish specifications, but not a strategic amount for the company. And if they used DNG instead, someone else would have incurred that cost. And I doubt if they make money from the proliferation of Raw formats!

Nikon appear to be trying to make money from non-publication, although in reality they were trying it with encryption rather than non-publication. They were trying to force people to buy Nikon Capture. So, yes, they may resist publication on those grounds.

But what about the other manufacturers? What money are they making from it? I think it is more likely that the engineers in those companies haven’t thought things through, and the marketing people haven’t realised the potential benefits to their companies of opening up Raw shooting.

It isn’t that these companies can’t get this message. After all, they have options to output according to published specications such as TIFF
6.0 and JPEG. I suspect that the groups concerned with Raw haven’t yet
realised that Raw is no different in principle from the other cases. Or perhaps they have realised, but no one wants to be the first in the company, while perhaps being willing to be the second.

If "OpenRAW" causes all of those people to realise the nature of the digital photography value chain, it will have done a good job for all Raw shooters.

Barry Pearson
H
Hecate
May 29, 2005
On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:50:50 GMT, Chris Cox
wrote:

In article , Hecate
wrote:

It is best to think of it as an openly published, freely licensed, well-engineered, specification.

I prefer to think of it as partially published, free for now, averagely engineered, with a specification that you have to take on trust.

Try: fully publicly documented, free and promised to keep it free, well engineered, and with an open specification that anybody can judge.
Chris, whilst I have a lot of respect for the work the developers do on Photoshop, whist it far and away the best of breed as far as I’m concerned, you work for the company so "he would say that wouldn’t he". I have seen enough companies and their so-called "promises" be shunted into a dead end because the company has decided it can make more money doing something else.

I’m sure you believe it, and I’m sure the bean counters at Adobe believe it. The difference is the bean counters believe it until a better money-making idea comes along. Adobe isn’t in business for the benefit of it’s customers except insofar as any benefit to it’s customers makes them money. Making money, as much as possible and as fast as possible is the raison d’etre of any commercial company and say "it ain’t so" doesn’t change that fact.

I’m sure it gives you a nice warm fuzzy feeling believing your company isn’t like all the others, so I’m sorry to disabuse you of that notion.

Hecate – The Real One

BP
Barry Pearson
May 30, 2005
Hecate wrote:
wrote:
In article , Hecate
wrote:

Chris, whilst I have a lot of respect for the work the developers do on Photoshop, whist it far and away the best of breed as far as I’m concerned, you work for the company so "he would say that wouldn’t he". I have seen enough companies and their so-called "promises" be shunted into a dead end because the company has decided it can make more money doing something else.
[snip]

I don’t work for Adobe, I simply buy licences to use their products, so that argument doesn’t apply to me. The reason Chris and I agree with one another about this, and disagree with you, is very simple:

– Chris and I are engineers, and you are not. And DNG really is an openly published, freely licensed, well-engineered, specification.

I scrutinised it and tested it before putting so much faith in it. I don’t lightly trust my photographs to anything. I am particularly concerned about "single point of failure" problems. In my judgement, DNG is probably the least problematic part of my entire Raw processing system. After all, there are already about 25 non-Adobe products that read and/or write DNG.

I am far more concerned with other components of my Raw processing system. We have seen the Canon press release about firmware problems in some Canon cameras, and firmware problems in some Lexar cards, causing images to be lost from Canon cameras in some rare circumstances. What risks am I running with the Pentax firmware? One of my cards is such a Lexar. Does that firmware problem affect its use in the Pentax too? I know I run a risk that I may not be able to read my archival CDs back in a few years time, so I am currently keeping one copy on an external hard drive as well. Am I doing enough?

DNG was clearly designed for openness and longevity. The published licence for free use would not lightly be overturned by a court. The version numbering scheme gives readers and writings of current DNG versions independence of Adobe’s development of new versions. Whatever Adobe do, my version 1.1.0.0 DNG files will be safe for decades. (I consider the version scheme to be an aspect of the engineering, and it is as good as I’ve seen for a specification of this sort).

I don’t have to trust Adobe. I know enough about DNG to know that they *can’t* do the sort of things that you imagine they will do. And I have enough understanding about why businesses invest in publishing specifications, and standards work, to know that it is not in Adobe’s interests to do what you imagine they will do. It just isn’t how they make money from the existence of such specifications.

Barry Pearson
K
KatWoman
May 30, 2005
whew, what a thread, eyes bleeding, brain all a jumble….

"Barry Pearson" wrote in message
Hecate wrote:
wrote:
In article , Hecate
wrote:

[snip]

I don’t work for Adobe, I simply buy licences to use their products, so that argument doesn’t apply to me. The reason Chris and I agree with one another about this, and disagree with you, is very simple:
– Chris and I are engineers, and you are not. And DNG really is an openly published, freely licensed, well-engineered, specification.
I scrutinised it and tested it before putting so much faith in it. I don’t lightly trust my photographs to anything. I am particularly concerned about "single point of failure" problems. In my judgement, DNG is probably the least problematic part of my entire Raw processing system. After all, there are already about 25 non-Adobe products that read and/or write DNG.

I am far more concerned with other components of my Raw processing system. We have seen the Canon press release about firmware problems in some Canon cameras, and firmware problems in some Lexar cards, causing images to be lost from Canon cameras in some rare circumstances. What risks am I running with the Pentax firmware? One of my cards is such a Lexar. Does that firmware problem affect its use in the Pentax too? I know I run a risk that I may not be able to read my archival CDs back in a few years time, so I am currently keeping one copy on an external hard drive as well. Am I doing enough?

DNG was clearly designed for openness and longevity. The published licence for free use would not lightly be overturned by a court. The version numbering scheme gives readers and writings of current DNG versions independence of Adobe’s development of new versions. Whatever Adobe do, my version 1.1.0.0 DNG files will be safe for decades. (I consider the version scheme to be an aspect of the engineering, and it is as good as I’ve seen for a specification of this sort).
I don’t have to trust Adobe. I know enough about DNG to know that they *can’t* do the sort of things that you imagine they will do. And I have enough understanding about why businesses invest in publishing specifications, and standards work, to know that it is not in Adobe’s interests to do what you imagine they will do. It just isn’t how they make money from the existence of such specifications.

Barry Pearson
H
Hecate
May 30, 2005
On 30 May 2005 01:29:41 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

[snip]

I may not be an engineer, however my partner is and she was in no way as impressed as you seem to be. However, this may be due to her being involved with high end imaging.

I scrutinised it and tested it before putting so much faith in it. I

<snip>

I will take you at face value and assume that you are telling me the truth. However, the fact that you are an engineer gives you no particular insight into business practice (or malpractice). Unless, of course, you run your own company, however small, as I do.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
May 30, 2005
On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:15:27 -0400, "KatWoman" wrote:

LOL! But it’s been fun to see the "Adobe can do no wrong" arguments.

Hecate – The Real One

BP
Barry Pearson
May 31, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On 30 May 2005 01:29:41 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:
[snip]

I will take you at face value and assume that you are telling me the truth. However, the fact that you are an engineer gives you no particular insight into business practice (or malpractice). Unless, of course, you run your own company, however small, as I do.

It tends to be the big companies, not the small ones, that "invest in publishing specifications, and standards work". Your own experience may not be applicable.

Barry Pearson
BP
Barry Pearson
May 31, 2005
KatWoman wrote:

[snip]

Chuckle!

It is worth remembering why this thread is the size it is. It started with a query:

– "Photoshop CS: Is a RAW plugin now available for the Canon 350d?"

It continued at first in a rather discouraging way:

– "No. Only for Photoshop CS2"

– "And it’s about time they included it in the CS RAW"

– "Don’t hold your breath. Adobe has a very poor reputation when it concerns supporting older versions"

– "No, I’m not. I’m looking at other software like RawShooter and Capture 1. I will upgrade, but when I want to. I’m not going to upgrade just to get ACR for the 350D. 🙂 "

In the past, it might have stopped there. But now there is something new in Raw shooting that changes some of the rules. Many Raw shooters hadn’t caught up. The thread continued:

– "Download the free DNG Converter, version 3.1. Convert your 350D Raw files to DNG. CS, with ACR 2.3 or 2.4, should then accept the DNGs. This should continue to work for future cameras too, until new camera technology requires a new version of DNG that ACR 2.3 or 2.4 can’t handle."

You can now use software that was written before your cameras existed to process its Raw images.

The basis for this was established 8 months ago, when DNG was launched. But it was easy to view DNG as something for a distant future when all the camera manufacturers supported it. I suspect that early adopters, who realised that DNG was already useful even before cameras used it, were in a small minority.

For the next 7 months, DNG steadily got better. More cameras were supported by ACR 2.4. Each DNG Converter had more features as well as more cameras. The licence granting free use was published. Month by month, more non-Adobe products supported it. But none of these was enough by itself to trigger much discussion. Then, about a month ago, 2 things happened that gave us another glimpse into the potential future of Raw shooting.

One was the launch of the OpenRAW lobby group and website. Although this is intended to cause manufacturers to publish their Raw formats, the way of solving things in future will obviously be to stop proliferating Raw formats in new cameras. That needs a common Raw format, and currently DNG is the only game in town. So OpenRAW will change the climate, and DNG will be available as part of the solution.

The second was the release of CS2 and ACR 3.1. This was the first sight of the power of DNG to enable Raw processors to be written without specific knowledge of cameras. The 350D, D2X, EVOLT E-300, and C-7070 Wide Zoom, could all be processed by CS / ACR 2.4, written long before. This release also showed how DNG can improve your workflow, by holding all the Raw processing settings in the DNG file itself, in a non-destructive way. Obviously, this is being talked about in new books and tutorials for CS2.

I expect DNG to continue like this. A trickle of small changes month by month, and the occasional bigger leap. In 5 years time, I would expect most Raw shooters to be using DNG at some part of their workflow, without worrying about it. Some people may not find a use for it, or may distrust it, for the next few years. But I expect that, eventually, avoiding DNG will be a bit like avoiding TIFF and JPEG – a self inflicted problem.

Barry Pearson
N
nomail
May 31, 2005
Hecate wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:15:27 -0400, "KatWoman" wrote:

LOL! But it’s been fun to see the "Adobe can do no wrong" arguments.

Funny, I’ve mainly seen a lot of ‘Adobe can’t do right’ arguments, only based on wild speculations and assumptions, never on facts. Are we talking about the same thread?

H
Hecate
May 31, 2005
On 31 May 2005 00:15:04 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

It tends to be the big companies, not the small ones, that "invest in publishing specifications, and standards work". Your own experience may not be applicable.

Do you mean mine or my partner’s? She’s the Deputy Head of an engineering department for a multinational so I’ve seen both sides of the argument. I take it from your answer then that you’re just an employee.

And it’s the big companies with which you should, if they shake you by the hand, make damn sure you count your fingers afterwards.

Hecate – The Real One

BP
Barry Pearson
Jun 1, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On 31 May 2005 00:15:04 -0700, "Barry Pearson" wrote:

Do you mean mine or my partner’s? She’s the Deputy Head of an engineering department for a multinational so I’ve seen both sides of the argument. I take it from your answer then that you’re just an employee.
[snip]

No – a false assumption. (I used to be).

I meant YOUR experience, because you are the one writing here, and I cannot judge how well you have communicated with anyone else on this topic. (For all I know, you have let your own views colour what you ask that person, or how you interpret what that person says).

The key here is to understand why big companies "invest in publishing specifications, and standards work". That understanding reveals how companies make money by having published specifications and standards, or often simply by contributing to them.

I’ve described this at length elsewhere in this thread.

Barry Pearson
H
Hecate
Jun 3, 2005
On 1 Jun 2005 00:46:24 -0700, "Barry Pearson"
wrote:

No – a false assumption. (I used to be).

I meant YOUR experience, because you are the one writing here, and I cannot judge how well you have communicated with anyone else on this topic. (For all I know, you have let your own views colour what you ask that person, or how you interpret what that person says).
The key here is to understand why big companies "invest in publishing specifications, and standards work". That understanding reveals how companies make money by having published specifications and standards, or often simply by contributing to them.

That’s easy – for the same reason they do anything else – to make as much money as possible, pad the bottom line as much as possible and keep the shareholders happy whilst awarding themselves as many fat options as they can get away with.

You seem to have missed the bit about motivation.

Hecate – The Real One

BP
Barry Pearson
Jun 4, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On 1 Jun 2005 00:46:24 -0700, "Barry Pearson"
wrote:
[snip]

That’s easy – for the same reason they do anything else – to make as much money as possible, pad the bottom line as much as possible and keep the shareholders happy whilst awarding themselves as many fat options as they can get away with.

Yes, we all agree that they are in it for the money! But it is necessary to understand the mechanism they use to make that money. Until you understand the mechanism, you will remain suspicious.

The primary mechanism by which companies that put effort into standards of various sorts make money from it is to accelerate the growth of the industry/market. Then they sell products into that market. You can tell where this is the mechanism they are using, because they either never own the standard, or make it free to use (as DNG).

You seem to have missed the bit about motivation.

Not true. I’ve mentioned the motivation to make money a number of times. What matters is "how will Adobe make money from DNG?" And I’ve explained that too. Until you look at HOW Adobe makes money from digital photography, you are likely to miss the point that DNG is intended to make things better for photographers and users of photographs. Because that will expand the market for Raw shooting, and enable them to sell more product, such as variants of Photoshop.

Oh well, your problem, not mine! I’ve found it useful in the (nearly) 8 months that I’ve been using it. I expect that many (not all) people who don’t currently use it could also benefit, if they are not put off by unjustified fear, uncertainty, doubt.

Barry Pearson
N
nomail
Jun 4, 2005
Barry Pearson wrote:

Yes, we all agree that they are in it for the money! But it is necessary to understand the mechanism they use to make that money. Until you understand the mechanism, you will remain suspicious.

Being suspicious is not a bad thing, being paranoid is. In another thread, Hectate accused Nikon of encrypting the WB in NEF files so that companies like Adobe couldn’t get to that information. This was, of course, to keep Adobe from attracting Nikon users to ACR.

But in this thread Hectate suddenly thinks that the camera companies (i.e. Nikon, among others!) will happily give up their proprietary RAW format just to jump into bed with Adobe to jointly create another proprietary format! Why Nikon would suddenly and freely give Adobe a piece of their profits is beyond me, but I’m sure this contradiction makes sense to Hectate somehow.

BP
Barry Pearson
Jun 4, 2005
Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Barry Pearson wrote:

Being suspicious is not a bad thing, being paranoid is.
[snip]

Be vigilant, and expect the unexpected!

Kung Fu, "The Tide" (February 1, 1973)
http://www.dm.net/~karen/kungfu/kungfu1.html

Young Caine and Ho Fong are sent to town to buy food for the temple. An old man steers them towards bandits, who rob and beat them. The two boys come back to the temple with only their underclothes. Master Kahn asks them what they have learned.

Ho Fong says that he has learned, "Never trust a stranger."

Young Caine says the he has learned, "Expect the unexpected."

At this point, Master Kahn sends Ho Fong away from the temple, forever.

Barry Pearson
H
Hecate
Jun 4, 2005
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:49:03 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

Being suspicious is not a bad thing, being paranoid is. In another thread, Hectate accused Nikon of encrypting the WB in NEF files so that companies like Adobe couldn’t get to that information. This was, of course, to keep Adobe from attracting Nikon users to ACR.

And you asked me for proof and I gave you lots of URLs. Funny you didn’t comment any longer when you had the proof as to what Nikon was doing.

But in this thread Hectate suddenly thinks that the camera companies (i.e. Nikon, among others!) will happily give up their proprietary RAW format just to jump into bed with Adobe to jointly create another proprietary format! Why Nikon would suddenly and freely give Adobe a piece of their profits is beyond me, but I’m sure this contradiction makes sense to Hectate somehow.

Well John (I’ll spell your name correctly when you spell mine correctly) if you had read what I said you would have seen that I created a specific set of circumstances in which it would benefit both companies, using cross-licensing. But then,. you don’t seem to be very good at reading all the way through recently…

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
Jun 4, 2005
On 4 Jun 2005 10:32:49 -0700, "Barry Pearson"
wrote:

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Barry Pearson wrote:

Being suspicious is not a bad thing, being paranoid is.
[snip]

Be vigilant, and expect the unexpected!

Kung Fu, "The Tide" (February 1, 1973)
http://www.dm.net/~karen/kungfu/kungfu1.html

Young Caine and Ho Fong are sent to town to buy food for the temple. An old man steers them towards bandits, who rob and beat them. The two boys come back to the temple with only their underclothes. Master Kahn asks them what they have learned.

Ho Fong says that he has learned, "Never trust a stranger."
Young Caine says the he has learned, "Expect the unexpected."
At this point, Master Kahn sends Ho Fong away from the temple, forever.

The Young Caine was sent out to buy a camera. He came back with a simple point and shoot made by a company no-one had ever heard of.

Master Kahn said the camera was useless and why did he buy it.

Young Caine said that the advert said it was good and that he could always trust the company.

At this point, Master Kahn sends Young Caine away from the temple, forever.

Which all goes to show you can fool some of the people all of the time…

Hecate – The Real One

N
nomail
Jun 4, 2005
Hecate wrote:

Well John (I’ll spell your name correctly when you spell mine correctly) if you had read what I said you would have seen that I created a specific set of circumstances in which it would benefit both companies, using cross-licensing. But then,. you don’t seem to be very good at reading all the way through recently…

Maybe that’s it. So enlighten me one more time, please. Why would Nikon give up its proprietary NEF file for a new proprietary DNG file it has to share with Adobe? Why would Canon do the same?

N
nomail
Jun 4, 2005
Hecate wrote:

And you asked me for proof and I gave you lots of URLs. Funny you didn’t comment any longer when you had the proof as to what Nikon was doing.

I don’t remember you giving me any URL’s that PROVED anything, but I do remember the last three messages, which went like this:

So what does ‘including white balance’ means if it doesn’t mean including white balance?

What it doesn’t mean is that you can decrypt the WB from the file and get at the data. Who knows what Nikon means? Weasel words as usual from them.

I’d be interested to know how you can be so sure. Are you a software developer who applied for the SDK? Do you work at Adobe?

I don’t remember getting an answer on this question, though. But quite frankly I have little desire to start this thread all over again.

J
johnboy
Jun 4, 2005
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message

Maybe that’s it. So enlighten me one more time, please. Why would Nikon give up its proprietary NEF file for a new proprietary DNG file it has to share with Adobe? Why would Canon do the same?

You were not writing to me, Johan, but my bet is that a high-ender like Nikon is betting that a significant part of their market doesn’t have Photoshop so hooking customers into a proprietary thing works for them. Or perhaps they are holding out for a deal from Adobe so they can bundle CS into their camera package before they go to an open standard.

It might surprise us that a lot of customers for their top line are poseurs without a clue. Leica had that for many years.
N
nomail
Jun 4, 2005
johnboy wrote:

You were not writing to me, Johan, but my bet is that a high-ender like Nikon is betting that a significant part of their market doesn’t have Photoshop so hooking customers into a proprietary thing works for them.

I’m not saying that it doesn’t, on the contrary. I’m saying that Nikon doesn’t need Adobe for that. Nikon already have their own proprietary NEF format, and if they don’t want anybody else to have access to it, all they have to do is encrypt the sensor data rather than just the WB data. That would force all Nikon users to buy Nikon Capture.

Or perhaps they are holding out for a deal from Adobe so they can bundle CS into their camera package before they go to an open standard.

Nobody has ever bundled CS into a package, and I doubt that will ever happen. Photoshop Elements, yes, but bundling CS would be far too expensive. And again: WHY? Nikon has Nikon Capture, for which they charge you. If they bundle their cameras with PS CS or PSE, they effectively kill their own software. It just doesn’t make sense from a business point of view.

J
johnboy
Jun 5, 2005

Nobody has ever bundled CS into a package, and I doubt that will ever happen.

Sorry, but that’s not true. You have to go back a way.
N
nomail
Jun 5, 2005
johnboy wrote:

Well? Who was it? Don’t keep me in suspense!

BP
Barry Pearson
Jun 5, 2005
johnboy wrote:

Are you sure that was CS?

I think I got Photoshop LE (Limited Edition) with a scanner in 2001, but that was a cut-down version of Photoshop for the purpose of bundling. (It did the trick – I got hooked on Photoshop!)

It disappeared when Elements arrived, and I suspect that the similarity between "LE" and "Elements" is not a complete coincidence. Since then I have had Elements 2.0 bundled with things.

Barry Pearson
J
johnboy
Jun 5, 2005
johnboy wrote:

J
johnboy
Jun 5, 2005
johnboy wrote:

thanks for the nudge. my bad. it was Photoshop LT that was bundled, and now I can’t remember with what.
J
johnboy
Jun 5, 2005
"Barry Pearson" wrote

I think I got Photoshop LE (Limited Edition) with a scanner in 2001,

LE, yes that seems to be right. I shouldn’t have brought it up. Sorry, all.
H
Hecate
Jun 5, 2005
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 01:08:26 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

It makes sense if it has a stake in the processing software and earns money from it, whilst at the same time promoting use of it’s cameras. Now, whilst they have a proprietary file type, and especially with their use of encryption, they discourage people who are non-Nikon users from purchasing Nikon. Similarly, if Canon were to do the same thing. Given that in the UK, for example, Nikon have stated that they are aiming for 40% of the market, and Canon have stated that they are aiming for 60% both companies would benefit from making it easier for people to use their files, if they could make an extra profit from it.

Encrypting their files, but cross-licensing with Adobe and DNG ( say a version 2.0) which is also encrypted, and having only the camera makers software or Adobe able to read the files, would both push up the market for Adobe products and earn the camera makers fees from the licensing whilst at the same time making money for Adobe through increased sales.

I’m sure that anyone who has been involved in creating "market opportunities" will be able to think of other ways to use such products to generate turnover and profit.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
Jun 5, 2005
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 01:47:40 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

johnboy wrote:

You were not writing to me, Johan, but my bet is that a high-ender like Nikon is betting that a significant part of their market doesn’t have Photoshop so hooking customers into a proprietary thing works for them.

I’m not saying that it doesn’t, on the contrary. I’m saying that Nikon doesn’t need Adobe for that. Nikon already have their own proprietary NEF format, and if they don’t want anybody else to have access to it, all they have to do is encrypt the sensor data rather than just the WB data. That would force all Nikon users to buy Nikon Capture.
But may well decrease sales of their cameras. However, a joint effort with Adobe, who are now the second largest software company after Microsoft, would generate far more income.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
Jun 5, 2005
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 01:16:13 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hecate wrote:

I don’t remember you giving me any URL’s that PROVED anything, but I do remember the last three messages, which went like this:

So what does ‘including white balance’ means if it doesn’t mean including white balance?

What it doesn’t mean is that you can decrypt the WB from the file and get at the data. Who knows what Nikon means? Weasel words as usual from them.

I’d be interested to know how you can be so sure. Are you a software developer who applied for the SDK? Do you work at Adobe?

I don’t remember getting an answer on this question, though. But quite frankly I have little desire to start this thread all over again.

That’s funny as you always seem to be there to jump in when you dislike what I’m saying but never seem to hang around for the answers. So, just for your benefit, here’s a copy of the reply from May 14th:

News reports. In the New York Times (David Pogue’s column). On the net – Google for Nikon RAW encryption. The latest issue of PC Pro in the UK which devotes a whole page to how Nikon are preventing you from fully accessing your images.

Thomas Knoll, one of the originators of Photoshop as well as the creator of the program’s RAW format support, has publicly described D2X WB data as being encrypted inside the NEF file.

Because it’s encrypted, says Knoll, Adobe isn’t prepared to accept the legal risk of decrypting this data within the Camera Raw plug-in for Photoshop CS2 (though D2X NEF files will still be supported in Camera Raw 3.1 for CS2, which is to be released in May 2005, shortly after CS2 itself is widely available).

I hope that’s Adobe enough for you.

Then there’s this link:

http://digitalcameras.engadget.com/entry/1234000877041132

The Dave Coffin interview here:

http://radar.oreilly.com/marc/

The if you look here:

http://digitalcameras.engadget.com/entry/1234000480042494/

You’ll see an article headlined: "Nikon and Adobe in talks to resolve RAW encryption issue" which, of course, wouldn’t be needed if there wasn’t a problem.

If that’s not enough I can get you pages more.

Hope that helps…

Hecate – The Real One

N
nomail
Jun 6, 2005
Hecate wrote:

But may well decrease sales of their cameras.

Agreed.

However, a joint effort with Adobe, who are now the second largest software company after Microsoft, would generate far more income.

Why? How?

N
nomail
Jun 6, 2005
Hecate wrote:

It makes sense if it has a stake in the processing software and earns money from it, whilst at the same time promoting use of it’s cameras.

That’s exactly what is already happening. Nikon sells cameras and then it sells Nikon Capture software.

Now, whilst they have a proprietary file type, and especially with their use of encryption, they discourage people who are non-Nikon users from purchasing Nikon.

Agreed. But that would mean it’s better for Nikon to start using DNG. Not a proprietary ‘2.0’ version, but the open standard. An encrypted ‘DNG 2.0’ would discourage just the same as WB encrypted NEF does. For a user, ‘DNG 2.0’ would actually be much worse: Today _any_ RAW converter can open NEF, despite the WB encryption. ‘DNG 2.0’ would be a step back in this respect, and so it would certainly not encourage people to buy a Nikon camera. On the contrary!

Similarly, if Canon were to do the same thing. Given that in the UK, for example, Nikon have stated that they are aiming for 40% of the market, and Canon have stated that they are aiming for 60% both companies would benefit from making it easier for people to use their files, if they could make an extra profit from it.

But using ‘DNG 2.0’ wouldn’t make it easier! It would make it much more restricted. Not everyone can afford Photoshop, so users of Paint Shop Pro, RAWShooter Essentials, CaptureOne, etc. would be left in the cold. You’ve seen the outcry when Nikon encrypted the WB data. What do you think would be the reaction of the market on ‘Encrypted DNG 2.0’?!!

Encrypting their files, but cross-licensing with Adobe and DNG ( say a version 2.0) which is also encrypted, and having only the camera makers software or Adobe able to read the files, would both push up the market for Adobe products and earn the camera makers fees from the licensing whilst at the same time making money for Adobe through increased sales.

I don’t follow that at all. First, you say that using encryption will discourage Nikon camera sales (and I agree). Then you say exactly the opposite, namely that using an encrypted ‘DNG 2.0’ will push up sales. I don’t see how NOT being able to use CaptureOne, RAWShooter Essentials, Paint Shop Pro, etc would encourage people to buy more cameras. It would not.

N
nomail
Jun 6, 2005
Hecate wrote:

That’s funny as you always seem to be there to jump in when you dislike what I’m saying but never seem to hang around for the answers.

You make it sound like it’s some kind of personal thing. It is not. Most of the time when we participate in the same threads, we agree fully. Just not always, and this is one example where we don’t agree.

So, just for your benefit, here’s a copy of the reply from May 14th:

<snip>

All those URL’s talk about the fact that Nikon encrypts its WB data, but that was not the issue in our discussion. The discussion was about WHY Nikon does that and especially _IF USING THE SDK_ would give to access to those data. You were absolutely certain that it didn’t, I wasn’t so sure.

In one of the URL’s you gave me, it is actually CONFIRMED that the SDK gives you access to data. At least that is the way I read it. I quote: "Nikon responded with a retort that didn’t really appease anyone, because although they technically offer an SDK to software developers, it doesn’t really give them much flexibility to add extra controls."

OK, they may not be completely happy with it (and that is what Nikon and Adobe apparently are discussing right now), but it does ‘technically’ give them access.

BP
Barry Pearson
Jun 6, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 01:08:26 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:
[snip]
[snip]

That sounds like the worst imaginable tactic for a camera manufacturer! Let’s have a look at some scenarios:

1. "Photographer who currently uses Nikon Capture because of the WB problem, then uses Photoshop": this tactic appears to remove the WB problem, because Adobe will also be able to decrypt the Raw file. So Nikon loses its sale of Nikon Capture.

2. "Photographer who uses Adobe Camera Raw then Photoshop, not worrying about the WB problem": no change.

3. "Photographer who doesn’t currently use Photoshop": don’t buy that Nikon camera!

4. "Photographer who puts the Raw photographs into an asset management system": don’t buy that Nikon camera!

5. "Photographer who sells Raw images, to people who may not want to be forced to use either of those products in order to publish the photographs": don’t buy that Nikon camera!

6. "Photographer who is thinking about moving from shooting JPEG to shooting RAW": stay with JPEG. (And so not see that camera at its best).

It sounds like a pretty bad tactic for Adobe, too:

How many Nikon Raw shooters don’t use Adobe products anyway, so how many extra sales would there be? Remember that Nikon would be likely to lose sales, so wouldn’t Adobe sell less rather than more to Nikon users? (My reading of Adobe is that they would always prefer to sell to (say) half or two-thirds of a very large market, than all of a small market). So what benefit would it be to Adobe to pay Nikon to do this?

Photographers would not be as likely to switch from shooting JPEG to shooting RAW, and so would not have as much motivation to buy Adobe rather than using a photo-processing service

If Adobe wants to do a deal with camera manufacturers to help sell its products, especially full Photoshop, it would make more sense to bundle Elements (say) with the camera, via proper DNG. The camera manufacturer wouldn’t be restricted to Adobe-users, and could save money on software development. Adobe wouldn’t pay real money, but provide software at much less cost than that. (I started with Photoshop LE bundled with a scanner, then progressed to full Photoshop. I suspect that many others did likewise).

Although you said "DNG", in fact you aren’t talking about DNG, which simply doesn’t have that characteristic. After all, there is a published world-wide license for anyone to read and/or write DNG files. You are really talking about some non-DNG format that any camera manufacturer and any Raw processor supplier could devise and agree to use. But only if the camera manufacturer was willing to reduce its marketplace!

Your futile theorising about a conspiracy is blinding you to the most plausible explanation. That what Adobe wants to do is accelerate the growth of Raw shooting world-wide, so that it can sell into that larger market.

Barry Pearson
H
Hecate
Jun 6, 2005
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:42:29 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

OK, they may not be completely happy with it (and that is what Nikon and Adobe apparently are discussing right now), but it does ‘technically’ give them access.

Johann, it DOES NOT give them access to the RAW data, it only gives them access to the settings. I.e. it tells them it was set on say, AWB. It doesn’t allow them to access the actual information.

Hecate – The Real One

N
nomail
Jun 7, 2005
Hecate wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:42:29 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Johann, it DOES NOT give them access to the RAW data, it only gives them access to the settings. I.e. it tells them it was set on say, AWB. It doesn’t allow them to access the actual information.

Of course it gives them access to the RAW data. The RAW data are not encrypted. I suppose you mean the WB data, i.e. the actual color temperature setting. Maybe that is so, but I haven’t found that in the URLs you gave.

But now we are starting this discussion all over again, and that’s exactly what I want to avoid. That thread was long enough, if you ask me.

L
leopr
Jun 7, 2005
Hello I am a beginer in PHOTOGRAPHY and my uncle send my from USA a NIKON D70 Digital camera to make some jobs here in Cuba and try in the future be a Profesional Photographer.

RAW vs JPEG Files

is Raw better? diferens?

Please HELP
H
Hecate
Jun 7, 2005
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:04:43 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

But now we are starting this discussion all over again, and that’s exactly what I want to avoid. That thread was long enough, if you ask me.

Agreed.

Hecate – The Real One

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 7, 2005
leopr wrote:
Hello I am a beginer in PHOTOGRAPHY and my uncle send my from USA a NIKON D70 Digital camera to make some jobs here in Cuba and try in the future be a Profesional Photographer.

RAW vs JPEG Files

is Raw better? diferens?

Please HELP

The customer won’t care whether you used raw or not. RAW is an advanced technique that gives only a minor improvement in quality compared to other things you can do in Photoshop.

So I would work on other things for the time being , like taking pictures.

Study camera and lens technique, composiiton, being in the right place at the right time and figuring out how to get paid for your work are more important. Take some good images and get them on the web, or in your local newspaoer. If you want maximum quality, save as TIFF.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
BV
Bart van der Wolf
Jun 8, 2005
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
SNIP
RAW vs JPEG Files

is Raw better? diferens?

Please HELP

The customer won’t care whether you used raw or not. RAW is an advanced
technique that gives only a minor improvement in quality compared to other
things you can do in Photoshop.

I wouldn’t call the ability to recover blown highlights, and get a few stops of additional Dynamic Range, a minor improvement. Also, postprocessing (this is a Photoshop group 😉 ) JPEG images is not a very good approach towards professional results.

However, while getting acquainted with photography and the camera specifics themselves, JPEG may suffice for a while.

Bart

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections