CW
Posted By
C Wright
May 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A technique that I typically use to replace a washed out sky in an image with a more dramatic one is to select the sky portion of the image then do a ‘paste-into’ with a sky from one of my stock shots. This typically works well. However, I am now trying to do this with an image that has a *lot* of bare tree branches that extend to the top of the photo. No matter how long I try to select (or select similar) I seem to wind up with dozens of unselected gaps between the many inter-tangled branches. Does anyone have a technique for replacing a sky while at the same time insuring that something like hundreds of tree branches remain in the foreground?
Chuck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

K
KatWoman
May 2, 2005
you just need a better selection.
Have you tried SELECT>color range?
do you have the contiguous box checked on your wand tool? un check it. a better way is to make a mask and put the pasted sky into a new layer. I usually use gradients to enhance the existing sky instead of trying to paste in a new one.

"C Wright" wrote in message
A technique that I typically use to replace a washed out sky in an image with a more dramatic one is to select the sky portion of the image then do a
‘paste-into’ with a sky from one of my stock shots. This typically works well. However, I am now trying to do this with an image that has a *lot* of
bare tree branches that extend to the top of the photo. No matter how long
I try to select (or select similar) I seem to wind up with dozens of unselected gaps between the many inter-tangled branches. Does anyone have a technique for replacing a sky while at the same time insuring that something like hundreds of tree branches remain in the foreground?
Chuck
CA
callme annie
May 3, 2005
On Mon, 02 May 2005 17:28:49 GMT, C Wright wrote:

A technique that I typically use to replace a washed out sky in an image with a more dramatic one is to select the sky portion of the image then do a ‘paste-into’ with a sky from one of my stock shots. This typically works well. However, I am now trying to do this with an image that has a *lot* of bare tree branches that extend to the top of the photo. No matter how long I try to select (or select similar) I seem to wind up with dozens of unselected gaps between the many inter-tangled branches. Does anyone have a technique for replacing a sky while at the same time insuring that something like hundreds of tree branches remain in the foreground?
Chuck

have you tried layer masks?
CW
C Wright
May 3, 2005
On 5/2/05 10:35 PM, in article ,
"callme annie" wrote:

On Mon, 02 May 2005 17:28:49 GMT, C Wright
wrote:

Chuck

have you tried layer masks?

Yes, without much success on all those tiny branches!
J
jenelisepasceci
May 3, 2005
C Wright wrote:

Chuck

Use the blue channel for your selection. The contrast between the tree branches and the sky should be maximal in this channel. By the way, did you ever try to simply set the mode of the fake sky layer to "darken"?

Peter
CW
C Wright
May 3, 2005
On 5/3/05 1:07 AM, in article , "Peter Wollenberg" wrote:

C Wright wrote:

Chuck

Use the blue channel for your selection. The contrast between the tree branches and the sky should be maximal in this channel.
By the way, did you ever try to simply set the mode of the fake sky layer to "darken"?

Peter
Thanks, using the blue channel gets me a lot closer to the kind of selection that I am looking for!
Chuck
T
Tacit
May 3, 2005
In article <BE9BCD81.24FDE%>,
C Wright wrote:

A technique that I typically use to replace a washed out sky in an image with a more dramatic one is to select the sky portion of the image then do a ‘paste-into’ with a sky from one of my stock shots. This typically works well. However, I am now trying to do this with an image that has a *lot* of bare tree branches that extend to the top of the photo. No matter how long I try to select (or select similar) I seem to wind up with dozens of unselected gaps between the many inter-tangled branches.

Yep.

That’s what Select->Color Range is for. 🙂

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections