BN
Posted By
bigal_nz
Apr 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone tell me why their is no Move or Copy option in the file browser?

Does anyone have a plugin that will do this?

I have leaving CS just to move the files off the mem stick!!

-Al

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jscheimpflug
Apr 25, 2005
"Al" wrote in message

Is it too much trouble to use the OS interface for that?
EG
Eric Gill
Apr 25, 2005
"jjs" wrote in news:116pmi8kskvp2c4
@news.supernews.com:

"Al" wrote in message

Can you tell me why you think there isn’t?

If you want to keep the already-generated thumbnails and user-entered notes, it would be completely impossible from the desktop.
J
jscheimpflug
Apr 25, 2005
"Eric Gill" wrote in message
@news.supernews.com:

If you want to keep the already-generated thumbnails and user-entered notes, it would be completely impossible from the desktop.

You have a very good point concerning the notes. Where are they kept? I never looked. For that I use the CS file metadata which stays with the files when moved.
EG
Eric Gill
Apr 25, 2005
"jjs" wrote in
news::

@news.supernews.com:

You have a very good point concerning the notes. Where are they kept?

In one of the CS databases, presumably.

I never looked. For that I use the CS file metadata which stays with the files when moved.

I move in the browser for the thumbnails, as my file/folder naming system carries all the info I need, but I’ve noticed a lot of people using it as a full-blown pic database. Apparently Bridge greatly adds to this functionality.
J
jjs
Apr 25, 2005
"jjs" wrote in

I’ve just arrived at work and checked. You won’t lose a thing by moving V8 (cs v1) files using the OS.

The Browser "Keywords" are stored in the physical file – in the Metadata under ‘Description’, ‘Keywords’. Annotations (notes) are also stored in the physical file but I haven’t check their exact location – it’s not in the metadata I can see. Therefore moving the image files using the OS (or FTP, etc) has no effect upon moving keyworded or annoted files to other locations.

That’s a good thing.
EG
Eric Gill
Apr 25, 2005
"jjs" wrote in news::

"jjs" wrote in

I’ve just arrived at work and checked. You won’t lose a thing by moving V8 (cs v1) files using the OS.

The Browser "Keywords" are stored in the physical file – in the Metadata under ‘Description’, ‘Keywords’. Annotations (notes) are also stored in the physical file but I haven’t check their exact location – it’s not in the metadata I can see. Therefore moving the image files using the OS (or FTP, etc) has no effect upon moving keyworded or annoted files to other locations.

Does this hold true for (camera) RAW files?

That’s a good thing.

Well, maybe. I’m not wild about my originals being modified for any reason.
J
jjs
Apr 25, 2005
"jjs" wrote in news::

Does this hold true for (camera) RAW files?

Yes. Information is held in the metadata area of your photoshop image.

That’s a good thing.

Well, maybe. I’m not wild about my originals being modified for any reason.

Well, it’s been happening all the time and you haven’t noticed yet. Look into the File – File Info dialog some time. I have optional XMP definitions, but you should have at least "Description", "Origin" and Advanced. Under Advanced is where you are likely to find things, including the EXIF data. Not to worry if you work in RAW you can always copy your RAW files directly to disc.
BN
bigal_nz
Apr 25, 2005
"jjs" …
"Al" wrote in message

Well, put it this way, when I plug in my memory stick it would be great to just launch the one App to do everything.

As it stands at the moment I suppose I could create a holding folder where I could transfer everything in file browser and then go in with CS and do all the batch renaming and touching up before putting in folders – but again would it be that hard to Add a copy/move function? I mean they do have rename and delete functions…..

-Al
J
jjs
Apr 25, 2005
"Al" wrote in message
"jjs" wrote in message
news:…
"Al" wrote in message

Well, put it this way, when I plug in my memory stick it would be great to just launch the one App to do everything.

As it stands at the moment I suppose I could create a holding folder where I could transfer everything in file browser and then go in with CS and do all the batch renaming and touching up before putting in folders – but again would it be that hard to Add a copy/move function? I mean they do have rename and delete functions…..

I understand now, Al. Yes, CS Browser lets you copy/rename. There’s an option to rename to a different folder, different drive. It leaves the content that’s on your stick untouched – a good thing. 🙂

Order the files in the browser the way you want them sequenced, set your renaming options (I just use a 4-digit prefix + "a_meaningful_name" + extension) and let it rip!

Is that closer?
BN
bigal_nz
Apr 26, 2005
"jjs" …
"Al" wrote in message
"jjs" wrote in message
"Al" wrote in message

I understand now, Al. Yes, CS Browser lets you copy/rename. There’s an option to rename to a different folder, different drive. It leaves the content that’s on your stick untouched – a good thing. 🙂
Order the files in the browser the way you want them sequenced, set your renaming options (I just use a 4-digit prefix + "a_meaningful_name" + extension) and let it rip!

Is that closer?

Ohhhhh, so their is an option to copy via rename? I will have to try that.

Then just delete from the memory stick?

-Al
J
jjs
Apr 26, 2005
"Al" wrote in message
"jjs" wrote in message

Ohhhhh, so their is an option to copy via rename? I will have to try that.
Then just delete from the memory stick?

Yes. Your dialog box should look something like this:
http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/tmp.gif
R
Roberto
Apr 26, 2005
Al wrote:
Can anyone tell me why their is no Move or Copy option in the file
browser?

The CS file browser does have move and copy function: Have both folders and preview (thumbnails) palettes displayed in the browser. Select the files to move or copy in the preview area then drag them into target folder to move them or alt-drag (otion-drag) into target folder to copy. Described in the Photoshop user guide on page 82.

Bob Shomler
BN
bigal_nz
Apr 27, 2005
"Roberto" …
Al wrote:
Can anyone tell me why their is no Move or Copy option in the file
browser?

The CS file browser does have move and copy function: Have both folders and preview (thumbnails) palettes displayed in the browser. Select the files to move or copy in the preview area then drag them into target folder to move them or alt-drag (otion-drag) into target folder to copy. Described in the Photoshop user guide on page 82.
Bob Shomler

Brilliant – Thanks.

-AL

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections