RC
Posted By
richard canever
Apr 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
At present I am running Photoshop CS and Illustrator 10 on a PC. was planning to replace my PC with a Mac. on which I would like to install CS2 versions of these programs. Will this be possible at the upgrade price or will I have to start again with full versions?
This would be so expensive as to make me think again about the switch to Apple Mac.
Can anyone advise me please.

Richard

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LO
Lee Oswald Ving
Apr 10, 2005
"richard canever" wrote in
news::

At present I am running Photoshop CS and Illustrator 10 on a PC. was planning to replace my PC with a Mac. on which I would like to install CS2 versions of these programs. Will this be possible at the upgrade price or will I have to start again with full versions?

I do believe this would be a good question…for Adobe.

This would be so expensive as to make me think again about the switch to Apple Mac.

If expense is a real concern, you might want to rethink your switching plans.

DA
Duncan Allan
Apr 10, 2005
Adobe are very good at offering upgrades and crossgrades.

The upgrade to MAC from PC would only cost the same as the upgrade from platform to same platform. That’s what I have been informed. CS2 is available from ANY previous version so I’m pleased about that too.

MACs are better suited to this type of work having used both.

Duncan

"Lee Oswald Ving" wrote in message

CW
C Wright
Apr 10, 2005
On 4/10/05 1:03 AM, in article ,
"richard canever" wrote:

Richard
Adobe, at least in the recent past, has been very good about this. I switched all of my image work from a PC to a Mac about a year ago. In exchange for a signed statement that I was switching platforms they sent me the full Mac version at no cost. Since your situation is slightly different in that you are looking to upgrade at the same time I would give Adobe a call.
Chuck
C
Clyde
Apr 10, 2005
Duncan Allan wrote:
The upgrade to MAC from PC would only cost the same as the upgrade from platform to same platform. That’s what I have been informed. CS2 is available from ANY previous version so I’m pleased about that too.
Duncan

"Lee Oswald Ving" wrote in message

Having used both, I don’t see any significant difference in using Photoshop. However, I finally had my last Mac die and am all PC now. The hardware flexibility and upgradability is so much better on PCs. The price per MFLOP is better too.

Clyde
J
jjs
Apr 10, 2005
"Clyde" wrote in message

Having used both, I don’t see any significant difference in using Photoshop. However, I finally had my last Mac die and am all PC now. The hardware flexibility and upgradability is so much better on PCs. The price per MFLOP is better too.

I use both every day (A local publications department sends me CDROMs that can’t be read on a PC. I don’t even know how they manage that.)

On the Mac, the missing right mouse button is enough to drive me just nutz. I’ll be taking it over full-time soon and will remedy that – quick.
EG
Eric Gill
Apr 10, 2005
"jjs" wrote in

"Clyde" wrote in message

I use both every day (A local publications department sends me CDROMs that can’t be read on a PC. I don’t even know how they manage that.)

Using the damned CD-writer tripe built into OS9.

What the hell kind of disfunction does it take to have a Mac but not use Toast, one of the few real advantages over Windows?

On the Mac, the missing right mouse button is enough to drive me just nutz. I’ll be taking it over full-time soon and will remedy that – quick.

Well, a new mouse is cheap enough. And Apple seems to have finally gotten the message – check the Apple store.
EG
Eric Gill
Apr 10, 2005
"Duncan Allan" wrote in news:d3b2tv$ip9$1$8302bc10 @news.demon.co.uk:

I hope you’re right, but it would be good to see a reference.

Having both, I rather disagree. Completely.
J
jjs
Apr 10, 2005
"Eric Gill" wrote

What the hell kind of disfunction does it take to have a Mac but not use Toast, one of the few real advantages over Windows?

People manage to send me CDROMs cut with Toast that can’t be read on XP. Maybe they need new defaults, but it’s a mess regardless.
EG
Eric Gill
Apr 10, 2005
"jjs" wrote in

"Eric Gill" wrote

People manage to send me CDROMs cut with Toast that can’t be read on XP. Maybe they need new defaults, but it’s a mess regardless.

Interesting.

I’m assuming you trust these people to actually investigate the issue and not simply insist that they were using Toast?

I’ve never been able to duplicate problems with Toast with yours truly in front of problem clients’ machines, whereas the built-in shite causes as many problems as the damned packet writer in XP.

And I’ll probably get cranky if it’s confirmed. ;-}
J
jjs
Apr 11, 2005
"Eric Gill" wrote in message
I’m assuming you trust these people to actually investigate the issue and not simply insist that they were using Toast?

Actually, I will take it a notch higher. One was a brother who was harried so he just fired out a toasted CDROM – and I couldn’t even read it on a Mac under OS-9. But as I said, he was busy. (If you are interested in his work, among other things he’s done http://www.understandingduchamp.com/ (which is an earlier version) and http://www.ubu.com/aspen/aspen.html which speaks to his tenacity. :)) More sites of other work are available. He’s a Mac kinda guy.
C
Clyde
Apr 11, 2005
jjs wrote:
"Clyde" wrote in message

I don’t know why people complain about that. Buy a mouse that has a 2nd or 3rd button and plug it into your Mac. Yes, it will need its own driver, but it works.

Clyde
H
Hecate
Apr 11, 2005
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:05:11 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

Only completely? SO that still means you prefer
Macs, right?

<grinning, ducking and running>

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
EG
Eric Gill
Apr 11, 2005
Hecate wrote in

wrote:

Macs, right?

M’lady is saucy today. Does this mean we’ve discovered the joys of the Three Martini Lunch or is there some other sauce involved?
N
nospam
Apr 12, 2005
In article , Clyde
wrote:

I don’t know why people complain about that. Buy a mouse that has a 2nd or 3rd button and plug it into your Mac. Yes, it will need its own driver, but it works.

actually, it doesn’t need a driver. most mice ‘just work.’ custom drivers might provide addtional functionality, however.
H
Hecate
Apr 12, 2005
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:13:16 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

Hecate wrote in

wrote:

Macs, right?

M’lady is saucy today. Does this mean we’ve discovered the joys of the Three Martini Lunch or is there some other sauce involved?

Actually, it’s the Tia Maria in the coffee…

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
RC
richard canever
Apr 13, 2005
Thanks to all who helped. I have now had a reply from Adobe.

They will do cross-platform orders, involving current version and one version back, as follows:-
Same version for shipping cost only
Upgrading at same time for upgrade price,etc.

They wll require a signed letter of previous software destruction.

Richard

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections