Posted By
Lunaray
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I just shot my first roll of 6×7 film (Ektachrome 200) and because it was of my daughter’s wedding I wanted it back in a hurry, so I took it to a local place and they sent it out to their lab (got it back in two days). I’m sure that this lab isn’t accustomed to doing 6 x7 film and the color balance was way off! I scanned the film and I was able to fix the color balance very easily in Photoshop by using the "Auto Color" adjustment, but my question is: isn’t the film processing pretty straight forward for transparency film? I can understand how color balance could easily be off with negative film because of the need to add the correct filtration for printing the negatives, but with transparency film it should be a pretty straight-forward process, with no filtration variables involved. Any thoughts on this? I don’t think I’ll take my film there anymore 🙂

Thanks!

Ray
www.rayspace.com/gallery.html
——————————————-
"I’d rather wake up in the middle of nowhere,
than in any city on earth" – Steve McQueen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
Martijn
Feb 22, 2004
I just shot my first roll of 6×7 film (Ektachrome 200) and because it was
of
my daughter’s wedding I wanted it back in a hurry, so I took it to a local place and they sent it out to their lab (got it back in two days). I’m
sure
that this lab isn’t accustomed to doing 6 x7 film and the color balance
was
way off! I scanned the film and I was able to fix the color balance very easily in Photoshop by using the "Auto Color" adjustment, but my question is: isn’t the film processing pretty straight forward for transparency film? I can understand how color balance could easily be off with
negative
film because of the need to add the correct filtration for printing the negatives, but with transparency film it should be a pretty
straight-forward
process, with no filtration variables involved. Any thoughts on this? I don’t think I’ll take my film there anymore 🙂
M
Martijn
Feb 22, 2004
I’m sure
that this lab isn’t accustomed to doing 6 x7 film and the color balance
was
way off! I scanned the film and I was able to fix the color balance very easily in Photoshop by using the "Auto Color" adjustment, but my question is: isn’t the film processing pretty straight forward for transparency film?

Maybe they did the same "correction" they would do on normal film 😉

Martijn
http://www.sereneconcepts.nl
RF
Robert Feinman
Feb 22, 2004
In article ,
says…
Hello,

I just shot my first roll of 6×7 film (Ektachrome 200) and because it was of my daughter’s wedding I wanted it back in a hurry, so I took it to a local place and they sent it out to their lab (got it back in two days). I’m sure that this lab isn’t accustomed to doing 6 x7 film and the color balance was way off! I scanned the film and I was able to fix the color balance very easily in Photoshop by using the "Auto Color" adjustment, but my question is: isn’t the film processing pretty straight forward for transparency film? I can understand how color balance could easily be off with negative film because of the need to add the correct filtration for printing the negatives, but with transparency film it should be a pretty straight-forward process, with no filtration variables involved. Any thoughts on this? I don’t think I’ll take my film there anymore 🙂

Thanks!
All Ektachrome and compatible E6 films are processed the same way. The only way the color balance can be off is if the photofinisher didn’t use fresh chemicals or failed to keep to the specified processing temperature and time.
Good labs run test strips through their machines frequently to ensure that everything is within spec. The fact that your film was 6×7 is not the factor.
Probably the place the film was sent to does not get enough E6 to warrant good processing control. So, you are right, take your film elsewhere. Also, for the future, shoot a test roll before important pictures and make sure the camera, film and processing are correct. Another possibility is that you used outdated or improperly stored film.

Robert D Feinman

Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramas and Photoshop Tips
http://robertdfeinman.com
JC
James Connell
Feb 22, 2004
Lunaray wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!

i’m curious – just how was the balance off? to blue? to red? what?
S
Stephan
Feb 23, 2004
"Lunaray" wrote in message
Hello,

snip<
but my question
is: isn’t the film processing pretty straight forward for transparency film? I can understand how color balance could easily be off with
negative
film because of the need to add the correct filtration for printing the negatives, but with transparency film it should be a pretty
straight-forward
process, with no filtration variables involved. Any thoughts on this? snip<

E6 requires much more exactitude in both exposing and processing. As R.Feinman said you need to run clips,or a roll for your format, before you dip a whole production.
So many things can go wrong: mechanical failure, bad emulsion, sloppy lab and even Champagne saturated photographers.

Stephan
L
Lunaray
Feb 23, 2004
As usual, the the photographer is the last person to taste the champagne, even if it’s your own daughter; so a "champagne-saturated-photographer" wasn’t the problem, DARN! 🙂

———————————————————— —————- —————————————-

"Stephan" wrote in message
"Lunaray" wrote in message
Hello,

snip<
but my question
is: isn’t the film processing pretty straight forward for transparency film? I can understand how color balance could easily be off with
negative
straight-forward
process, with no filtration variables involved. Any thoughts on this? snip<

E6 requires much more exactitude in both exposing and processing. As R.Feinman said you need to run clips,or a roll for your format, before you dip a whole production.
So many things can go wrong: mechanical failure, bad emulsion, sloppy lab and even Champagne saturated photographers.

Stephan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections