S
Posted By
salt
Apr 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
you currently have photoshop’s primary scratch and windows’ primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced perfomance. It’s recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop’s primary scratch volume to be on a differeeent volume, preferably on a different physical drive.

Can someone interpret this message for me in English Please?? What is it that I am suppose to do? I don’t know what it means.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

K
KatWoman
Apr 7, 2005
It is preferable to use PS on a comp with more than one harddrive. Go to EDIT>preferences and tell PS what the letters of your drives are and how much RAM you want PS to use.
The more space you allocate the faster PS will run. If you are not getting any memory crashes or you don’t work on large size files you may not need extra drive space but it is preferable.

"salt" <@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
you currently have photoshop’s primary scratch and windows’ primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced perfomance. It’s recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop’s primary scratch volume to be on a differeeent volume, preferably on a different physical drive.
Can someone interpret this message for me in English Please?? What is it that I am suppose to do? I don’t know what it means.
R
Roy
Apr 7, 2005

Hi there.

Plain English, I will do my best but I come from that much more civilised country, which is just to the North of England.

This jargon means that photoshop will run better if your Computer has 2 hard drives.

Windows Primary Paging File, is where Windows runs its Programs, in this case Photoshop. That will be on your Main Hard Drive (or Boot Drive), usually called "C".

If you fit another Hard Drive into your machine it will get allocated another letter, perhaps "E" or "F".

If you have 2 Hard Drives. In Ps go to Edit > Preferences > Memory & Scratch Discs.
For First Scratch Disc select the Letter for the extra hard Drive, "E" or "F" or whatever it has been allocated..
For Second Scratch Disc select the letter for your Main Hard Drive, usually "C".

The reason, (very uncorrect terminology), is that Ps is a very heavy user of RAM, and when your actual RAM is full, it makes a Temporary File, where it writes and reads data as it does its calculations. It can work quicker if that Temporary File is the only File on a Hard Drive, simply because no other data will be travelling along the same route.

Putting more RAM into your machine will speed up Ps more than fitting another Hard Drive. The minimum amount of RAM needed by Ps is usually taken to be 5 times the size of the largest image you will be working on, but the more RAM the better.

Roy G
R
Roy
Apr 7, 2005

Follow up, after re-reading my reply.

I should have explained that "Scratch Disc" is just a descriptive term for where the Temporary File will be kept.

Roy G
T
Tacit
Apr 8, 2005
In article <4ge5e.460$>, "salt" <@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

In English:

"Microsoft Windows uses space on your computer’s hard disk drive to act as virtual memory. Photoshop also uses space on your computer’s hard disk drive to act as virtual memory. If you only have one hard drive, Photoshop and Windows must compete for access to the hard disk. This makes Photoshop slower. If you buy a second hard disk drive and install it in your computer, Photoshop will run faster."

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
J
jjs
Apr 8, 2005
"tacit" wrote in message

In English:

"[…] you buy a second hard disk drive and install it in your computer, Photoshop will run faster."

And if you get three more fixed disks (on the main bus) it will be even better!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections