Posted By
Neil Hindry
Apr 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wonder if you can help me.

I am fairly new to Photoshop (I have Photoshop 7) and I am have a problem.

I am trying to draw a triangle that I can then fill in with the gradient tool. I tried using the Custom Shape tool but the triangle was not the type I wanted and when I tried to use the gradient tool it filled the whole window rather than just the triangle.
I actually require 2 triangles. The triangles I require are :- 1 with the base at the bottom and the point at the top and another with the base at the top and the point at the bottom.

Could someone please tell me the best way to create a triangle (as outlined above) with a gradient fill?
Please do not be too technical as I do not know all the correct terminology.

I hope you can help.

I appreciate any help or information received.

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

E
edjh
Apr 3, 2005
Neil Hindry wrote:

I am trying to draw a triangle that I can then fill in with the gradient tool. I tried using the Custom Shape tool but the triangle was not the type I wanted and when I tried to use the gradient tool it filled the whole window rather than just the triangle.
I actually require 2 triangles. The triangles I require are :- 1 with the base at the bottom and the point at the top and another with the base at the top and the point at the bottom.

Could someone please tell me the best way to create a triangle (as outlined above) with a gradient fill?
Please do not be too technical as I do not know all the correct terminology.
I hope you can help.

I appreciate any help or information received.

Thanks!
Polygon Tool (which is what I bet you tried, not Custom Shape). Hold down Shift and drag straight UP to get the point at the top; straight DOWN to get the point at the bottom.

One way to fill it with a gradient is to make a Gradient Fill layer and select the triangle path and go to Layer>Make Vector Mask> Current Path.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
J
jjs
Apr 3, 2005
"Neil Hindry" wrote in message

I am trying to draw a triangle that I can then fill in with the gradient tool. I tried using the Custom Shape tool but the triangle was not the type I wanted […]

If the custom triangle isn’t right (possibly too klutzy looking), then choose the line tool and draw one side. Then layer-new layer by copy. Then image-transform-flip horizontal. Drag that second size so that the point meets the other. Draw the bottom (hold down the Shift key to keep it horizontal.) You can also make perfect 45 degree sides by holding the Shift key as you draw a side. Link them and merge them. To make the opposite, just copy the triangle to another layer and image-transform-rotate 180 degrees.

The mistake you made when filling the triangle shape is another matter. The easy way to handle that is to rasterize the layer, select the inside, then draw the gradient.
H
harrylimey
Apr 3, 2005
"edjh" wrote in message news:%GY3e.778
Polygon Tool (which is what I bet you tried, not Custom Shape). Hold down Shift and drag straight UP to get the point at the top; straight DOWN to get the point at the bottom.

edjh

I tried the Polygon tool and got a five sided figure!! how do you turn it into a triangle?

Ed

I suggest you use the custom shape tool (choose one of the triangles from the menu) having drawn it, select it with the Direct selection tool so that the points change to black, you can then reshape it, apply the new shape, (If you alternate click and drag – you can duplicate it) find the path in the paths menu and load it as a selection and fill it as you wish.

Harry
E
edjh
Apr 4, 2005
Harry Limey wrote:
"edjh" wrote in message news:%GY3e.778

edjh

I tried the Polygon tool and got a five sided figure!! how do you turn it into a triangle?

Ed

I suggest you use the custom shape tool (choose one of the triangles from the menu) having drawn it, select it with the Direct selection tool so that the points change to black, you can then reshape it, apply the new shape, (If you alternate click and drag – you can duplicate it) find the path in the paths menu and load it as a selection and fill it as you wish.
Harry
All the Shapes work that way, even the Polygons. To make a triangle type 3 in the Sides field on the Options Bar.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections