MM
Posted By
Mac McDougald
Jun 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As far as images are concerned, you really can’t.
Unless you keep everything smaller than 640×480 to accomodate anyone still running in that mode. And remember that even someone running 640×480 needs images smaller than that to keep from scrolling because of browser overhead (menus, status bars, etc).

Images have x by x pixel dimensions, simple as that.
The higher the screen rez folks are running, the smaller the image will appear on screen.

As far as text, it will naturally wrap or you can limit screen size by using tables with % calls; or use CSS (beyond me).
You should generally avoid making images of text wherever possible.

Mac

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mac McDougald
Jun 26, 2003
As far as images are concerned, you really can’t.
Unless you keep everything smaller than 640×480 to accomodate anyone still running in that mode. And remember that even someone running 640×480 needs images smaller than that to keep from scrolling because of browser overhead (menus, status bars, etc).

Images have x by x pixel dimensions, simple as that.
The higher the screen rez folks are running, the smaller the image will appear on screen.

As far as text, it will naturally wrap or you can limit screen size by using tables with % calls; or use CSS (beyond me).
You should generally avoid making images of text wherever possible.

Mac
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 26, 2003
It would be wonderful, IMHO, if you could define a Web page with all the layout set the way you and have that scale in size according to the resolution and window size of the client.

But you can’t, as HTML doesn’t work like that.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 26, 2003
It would be wonderful, IMHO, if you could define a Web page with all the layout set the way you and have that scale in size according to the resolution and window size of the client.

But you can’t, as HTML doesn’t work like that.
HD
hot_denim
Jun 26, 2003
Colin

IE 6 has a Zoom object. you can display e.g. buttons at a maginified size etc.. Maybe you can zoom the BODY object (and thus its containing contents) to a certain size dependent on screen dimentions (via script).
HD
hot_denim
Jun 26, 2003
Colin

IE 6 has a Zoom object. you can display e.g. buttons at a maginified size etc.. Maybe you can zoom the BODY object (and thus its containing contents) to a certain size dependent on screen dimentions (via script).
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 26, 2003
h_d: Yes IE6 can do a zoom-to-fit on images, but that’s all. Text layout is still inflexible. Also, the zoom is switchable, so you can’t assume that it will be there. However, a browser could be designed that did scaling.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 26, 2003
h_d: Yes IE6 can do a zoom-to-fit on images, but that’s all. Text layout is still inflexible. Also, the zoom is switchable, so you can’t assume that it will be there. However, a browser could be designed that did scaling.
HD
hot_denim
Jun 26, 2003
James

You cannot; You can however create a page that is ‘compatible’ with all screen resoulutions etc..

I would say the 800×600 is the standard web resouluion. (640×480..let them have to scroll the browser window..) There fore design for this resolution

Create pages by using invisible column/rows via creating a TABLE with 0 width border/padding/cell spacing.. thus making it invisible. Then Creating cell within it of certain diemtions as your prefreed layout.

Now also set hte TABLE to be centered in the page. Thus it will be centered at all resolutions. Ooptionally make it 100% width, instead of 800 (pixel) width. This it will grow in eidth for all resoulutions and things will space out evenly…..
HD
hot_denim
Jun 26, 2003
James

You cannot; You can however create a page that is ‘compatible’ with all screen resoulutions etc..

I would say the 800×600 is the standard web resouluion. (640×480..let them have to scroll the browser window..) There fore design for this resolution

Create pages by using invisible column/rows via creating a TABLE with 0 width border/padding/cell spacing.. thus making it invisible. Then Creating cell within it of certain diemtions as your prefreed layout.

Now also set hte TABLE to be centered in the page. Thus it will be centered at all resolutions. Ooptionally make it 100% width, instead of 800 (pixel) width. This it will grow in eidth for all resoulutions and things will space out evenly…..
SM
Seth Meranda
Jun 26, 2003
Photoshop is mainly for graphic creations. Invest in Dreamweaver, Frontpage, or GoLive (the former being the best, IMHO) to get the most out of creating for the web. Photoshop can still be used to create your images and graphics.

Seth Meranda

"James Hungerford" wrote in message
Im new to using photoshop as a webdesign tool, so I need to have a few questions answered. How do I format my web page so it will be compatable with all resolutions and browser window size?
SM
Seth Meranda
Jun 26, 2003
Photoshop is mainly for graphic creations. Invest in Dreamweaver, Frontpage, or GoLive (the former being the best, IMHO) to get the most out of creating for the web. Photoshop can still be used to create your images and graphics.

Seth Meranda

"James Hungerford" wrote in message
Im new to using photoshop as a webdesign tool, so I need to have a few questions answered. How do I format my web page so it will be compatable with all resolutions and browser window size?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections