almost ready to smash something: WHY is this happening???

X
Posted By
xerj
Feb 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I save a file in PS as a JPG at 300dpi (downsampled). It comes up as being around 360k when viewed in explorer. I go to make a PDF of it, and when it makes the PDF for some god knows reason it makes it about 3 MEG!!!!

What is happening??? It has only happened with a batch of pictures I have just done. For instance, if I make a PDF of a picture with the exact same Distiller settings on a pic I did three days ago, it is fine!

Where are these extra megs coming from???

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EG
Eric Gill
Feb 18, 2004
"xerj" wrote in
news:7mHYb.64886$:

I save a file in PS as a JPG at 300dpi (downsampled). It comes up as being around 360k when viewed in explorer. I go to make a PDF of it, and when it makes the PDF for some god knows reason it makes it about 3 MEG!!!!

So you don’t have the same compression settings applied to the acrobat file (if any) as you do the jpeg file. Where’s the confusion?

What is happening??? It has only happened with a batch of pictures I have just done. For instance, if I make a PDF of a picture with the exact same Distiller settings on a pic I did three days ago, it is fine!

Are you kidding?

I think maybe you need to smash your *computer*.
N
niknik1971
Feb 18, 2004
It depends on the settings you have for the PDF file creator.

NIK

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
"xerj" wrote in
news:7mHYb.64886$:

So you don’t have the same compression settings applied to the acrobat
file
(if any) as you do the jpeg file. Where’s the confusion?

Are you kidding?

I think maybe you need to smash your *computer*.
X
xerj
Feb 18, 2004
No that is NOT it.

Here’s some more info:-

OK, using 7, this very weird thing is happening.

I do this:-

1) resize a pic
2) downsample it to 300 dpi

then, because I want a thick black border around a thinner white border surrounding the pic, I do this:-

3) with a white background, increase canvas size (relative) by 2 points
4) with a black bacground, increase canvas size (relative) by 4 points.

This results in a file of around 650k when viewed in a file explorer window.

HOWEVER, when I make a PDF of this file, it somehow balloons to 4.5 MEG.

I have tried doing it to only step 3) (i.e. only adding the one canvas size increase), and it makes a correct size PDF. When I do it to step 4), though, suddenly it rockets to 4.5M.

Anyone have ANY thoughts about what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
DD
Duncan Donald
Feb 18, 2004
How much do you want for your computer?
I presume you’d rather sell it than smash it!
Douglas
————–
"xerj" wrote in message
No that is NOT it.

1) resize a pic

then, because I want a thick black border around a thinner white border surrounding the pic, I do this:-

This results in a file of around 650k when viewed in a file explorer
window.
I have tried doing it to only step 3) (i.e. only adding the one canvas
size
increase), and it makes a correct size PDF. When I do it to step 4),
though,
suddenly it rockets to 4.5M.

Thanks in advance.

EG
Eric Gill
Feb 19, 2004
"xerj" wrote in
news:GwQYb.65488$:

No that is NOT it.

It’s not?

How do you know? You haven’t said a damned thing about the raw file size yet, just complained that the compressed file size is different using two different methodologies of compression. One would imagine you aren’t paying attention.

<snip>
N
newsgroup
Feb 19, 2004
"xerj" wrote in message
No that is NOT it.

1) resize a pic

This results in a file of around 650k when viewed in a file explorer
window.
I have tried doing it to only step 3) (i.e. only adding the one canvas
size
increase), and it makes a correct size PDF. When I do it to step 4),
though,
suddenly it rockets to 4.5M.

Thanks in advance.
I’d suggest just applying the border a different way but you seem pretty stoked about this so…
My best guess is that you’ve missed something so obvious that the ‘something’ you’ll smash is your palm to your forehead, or it’s an overlooked setting issue. If you tell us all the particulars (software versions, file sizes, formats used etc.) step by step, someone with the same setup as you might try to recreate it and perhaps spot what’s wrong. Good luck ~Doc
X
xerj
Feb 19, 2004
How do you know?

Because, as I have detailed, it only happens when I apply a canvas resizing for the second time.

It doesn’t happen after the first canvas resizing. If I stop at that point and make a PDF, the compression stays. However, if I do a second canvas resizing, then the compression seems to vanish when I use the EXACT SAME settings to make the PDF as the one cut from the image using only one canvas resizing. I haven’t changed a thing, except for the fact that I have canvas resized twice.

~That~ is how I know.

One would imagine you aren’t paying
attention.

Not that you are duty bound to answer my question, but I could say the same thing to you.

In the message you have responded to I have said the same thing as above.

I realise that it must be something to do with compression, I just don’t know why it vanishes when the canvas is resized twice.

Understood?
X
xerj
Feb 19, 2004
I’d suggest just applying the border a different way but you seem pretty
stoked about this so…

I’d love a better way of applying the same border (thick black outside, thin white inside). Any suggestions?

If you tell us all the particulars (software
versions, file sizes, formats used etc.)

PS7.0 used running on WindowsXP.

Starting with a tiff, I:-

1) Resize it to need.
2) Downsample it (bicubic) to 300dpi (if needed)
3) Play around with levels
4) Resize canvas (relative) by 2 points with a white background
5) Resize canvase (relative) by 4 points with a black background
6) Use healing brush
7) Apply sharpening
8) Save as JPG with a compression setting of 8.

As I have said, if I stop at 4) and make a a JPG then a PDF, the file size is spot on.
If I go beyond 4) to 5), the file size and then make a PDF, the ~PDF~ file size rockets to what is obviously uncompressed. I have changed nothing else, and the JPG file shows up in an explorer browser as much smaller.

That’s the full rundown.
EG
Eric Gill
Feb 19, 2004
"xerj" wrote in
news:8yXYb.66007$:

How do you know?

Because, as I have detailed, it only happens when I apply a canvas resizing for the second time.

It doesn’t happen after the first canvas resizing. If I stop at that point and make a PDF, the compression stays. However, if I do a second canvas resizing, then the compression seems to vanish when I use the EXACT SAME settings to make the PDF as the one cut from the image using only one canvas resizing. I haven’t changed a thing, except for the fact that I have canvas resized twice.

~That~ is how I know.

Except you don’t seem to realize that Distiller settings have nothing to do with a Photoshop PDF.

One would imagine you aren’t paying
attention.

Not that you are duty bound to answer my question, but I could say the same thing to you.

You could, but you’d only be lying to yourself.

In the message you have responded to I have said the same thing as above.

I realise that it must be something to do with compression, I just don’t know why it vanishes when the canvas is resized twice.
Understood?

Yes. You won’t take simple advice and don’t understand the problem.

Smash your computer.
X
xerj
Feb 19, 2004
Except you don’t seem to realize that Distiller settings have nothing to do with a Photoshop PDF.

Ummm….

I am making the PDF by printing to the Distiller.

Besides, I clarified later that it was something to do with Photoshop when I apply the second canvas resizing. Or did you not read that in your rush to castigate?

WHAT SIMPLE ADVICE????

You’ve said absolutely nothing except smart-assish put downs!

As I have said about four times now, the problem comes when I apply canvas resizing. If I do it once, then PRINT TO DISTILLER, the PDF file size comes out the size that I expect. When I do canvas resizing TWICE, then PRINT TO DISTILLER (ONCE MORE SO YOU DON’T MISS IT: PRINT TO DISTILLER), the PDF comes out at a massive size. I have changed NO settings except to do canvas resizing twice. And I realise it is actually Acrobat doing it. It’s Photoshop.

What in the name of sweet Christ is so blatantly awful in that question?

And if you’re such a genius, do you know why it is happening?

Smash your computer.

Look if it’s so important to you to appear like the big guy on campus, knock yourself out.
X
xerj
Feb 19, 2004
I mean to say: I realise it ISN’T actually acrobat doing this. It’s Photoshop.

"xerj" wrote in message

Ummm….

I am making the PDF by printing to the Distiller.

Besides, I clarified later that it was something to do with Photoshop when
I
apply the second canvas resizing. Or did you not read that in your rush to castigate?

WHAT SIMPLE ADVICE????

You’ve said absolutely nothing except smart-assish put downs!
As I have said about four times now, the problem comes when I apply canvas resizing. If I do it once, then PRINT TO DISTILLER, the PDF file size
comes
out the size that I expect. When I do canvas resizing TWICE, then PRINT TO DISTILLER (ONCE MORE SO YOU DON’T MISS IT: PRINT TO DISTILLER), the PDF comes out at a massive size. I have changed NO settings except to do
canvas
resizing twice. And I realise it is actually Acrobat doing it. It’s Photoshop.

What in the name of sweet Christ is so blatantly awful in that question?
And if you’re such a genius, do you know why it is happening?
Smash your computer.

Look if it’s so important to you to appear like the big guy on campus,
knock
yourself out.

N
newsgroup
Feb 20, 2004
"xerj" wrote in message
I’d suggest just applying the border a different way but you seem pretty
stoked about this so…

I’d love a better way of applying the same border (thick black outside,
thin
white inside). Any suggestions?

I get the feeling I’m missing something here. Select all (Ctrl A) stroke inside with white at the total thickness for both borders, then subtract the thickness you want the white border to be and stroke again with black. ~Doc
X
xerj
Feb 22, 2004
Thanks. That works nicely to get the double border.

Still don’t understand why the 2nd canvas resizing thing happens using the other method, though, but I guess it’s kind of moot.
N
newsgroup
Feb 23, 2004
"xerj" wrote in message
Thanks. That works nicely to get the double border.

Still don’t understand why the 2nd canvas resizing thing happens using the other method, though, but I guess it’s kind of moot.

You’re welcome, good to see you’re back in business. ~Doc

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections