M1
Posted By
mercurius_1
Mar 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I do not have a great Epson printer. Only an old Stylus C62. But for kicks, I’m trying to play with soft proofing to see how closely I can match the image on the screen. I consider it practice for the lovely day when I do get a better printer.

Anyways, I’ve run into a problem because I’m not getting access to the options that I think I should have available in order to properly set up the soft proof. I learned on a Mac, but I work at home on a PC and it seems to me that something is different in the interface or else just flat out missing.

Here are the steps that I’ve taken:

1. I set up a custom soft proof and saved it as "EpsonStylus"

2. I chose "File > Print With Preview" and enabled the "Show More Options" to get at the color management options.

Here’s where the problem occurs:

3. Under the category of Source Space, the radio button for "Proof Setup" indicates the generic name of "Epson Stylus C61/62 Series" This merely appears to be the default name of the printer driver, and I am not able to specify the particular soft proof ("EpsonStylus") that I set up, which I think I need to do based upon my scant understanding of this topic.

So, my questions are as follows:
– Should I be able to see the specific name of the custom soft proof that I saved in the "Print with Preview" dialog? If so, then what’s going wrong here?

– What is the recommended custom soft proof workflow for the PC? Unfortunately, I’m not even certain about how to set the second set of options for "Print Space."

Thank you for your time in replying,
-M

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Bill Hilton
Mar 27, 2005
1. I set up a custom soft proof and saved it as "EpsonStylus"

What ICC profile did you use to set up the soft proof? Many of the older Epsons (pre 1280) didn’t come with profiles for individual papers, instead they came with all the profiles bundled into one generic Epson profile, which basically means you can’t use soft proofing.

3. Under the category of Source Space, the radio button for "Proof Setup" indicates the generic name of "Epson Stylus C61/62 Series"

This is what I’m talking about, which gets back to my first question ….

– Should I be able to see the specific name of the custom soft proof that I saved in the "Print with Preview" dialog?

No, it will pick up the name of the actual ICC profile (which I guess answers my first question after all).

– What is the recommended custom soft proof workflow for the PC?

You need to get a paper/ink specific ICC profile for that specific paper and printer, then do what you were describing. You can’t do it with the generic all-in-one profiles that the early Epsons shipped with.

Bill
M1
mercurius_1
Mar 27, 2005
Bill Hilton wrote:
You need to get a paper/ink specific ICC profile for that specific paper and printer, then do what you were describing. You can’t do it with the generic all-in-one profiles that the early Epsons shipped with.

Thank you, Bill. This is what I feared. I’ll have to take the plunge and get a real printer. Glad to see that I was at least on the right track, sort of.

-M

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections