Posted By
anthonyl
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I am trying to get a company logo to float in a coffee mug. They want me to try to make it look liquid-like, their words. Any Info would help.
I’m using Photoshop 7 without any other plug-ins except
the ones that came with ph7.

Thank You

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Z
Zippy
Nov 13, 2003
in article
at wrote on 11/13/03 1:27 PM:

Hi all,

I am trying to get a company logo to float in a coffee mug. They want me to try to make it look liquid-like, their words. Any Info would help.

Thank You

You have to be able to draw… you are not able to do that.
T
tacitr
Nov 13, 2003
I am trying to get a company logo to float in a coffee mug.

That’s what the Filter->Distort->Displace filter is for.

You have to create a displacement map (a grayscale Photoshop file) that has the ripples in it (50% gray means no change, darker means farther away from you, liighter means closer to you), then place the logo above the coffee, then use the displacement map to ripple the logo.

This is a non-trivial task that requires both artistic skill and considerable skill with Photoshop. it is not point and click, if you want a realistic effect. This is the sort of image editing I typically charge $150/hr for. It can be done, flawlessly; the logo can be made to conform exactly to the ripples already present in the photo of the coffee cup. But don’t look for a button to click on to make it happen automatically.

What will it be used for? The Web, or print? Is it going to become the actual logo? (If so, you better re-think the design–such an illustration can’t be used as a logo easily.)

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
BC
Ben Cooper
Nov 14, 2003
wrote:
I am trying to get a company logo to float in a coffee
mug.
They want me to try to make it look liquid-like, their
words.
Any Info would help.

Displacement maps work great for this type of thing.
If you need something simpler you could try the ‘Water
Ripples’ plugin from Redfield Plugins-
http://www.redfieldplugins.com/

Ben Cooper
A
anthonyl
Nov 14, 2003
Thank You for all your responses.

This is going to be a print job. Sorry for not mentioning that. I am not a designer and we ussually dont have things
of this nature show up here.
I’m going to try all suggestions. I’m am really intriqued with Tacit’s suggestion. If you wouldnt mind giving a little more info on Displacement maps I would appreciate it.

Thank You all again.
J
jenelisepasceci
Nov 14, 2003
) wrote:

Thank You for all your responses.

This is going to be a print job. Sorry for not mentioning that. I am not a designer and we ussually dont have things
of this nature show up here.
I’m going to try all suggestions. I’m am really intriqued with Tacit’s suggestion. If you wouldnt mind giving a little more info on Displacement maps I would appreciate it.
http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorials/photoshop/displace1.ht ml

HTH, Peter
R
rubik{remove}
Nov 14, 2003
On 13 Nov 2003 13:27:22 -0800,
() wrote:

Hi all,

check out russellbrown.com he has a free video tutorial on using displacement maps to make text follow the curves on a flag, stunning results it may work for what you require but your in for id say a few intense hours of work to learn the technique and getting it to work right for you

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections