A
Posted By
adykes
Mar 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got a folder with lots of pics in it that came from different sources with different naming schemes. I want to fire up PS CS, point the browser to the folder and drag the pics to order them in some way. I know this order exists only withinn CS.

Is there a way, within the browser to take the pictures in the order they appear on the screen and assign ascending number file names to them so when I use some other software on the same folder I see the pics in the order I’ve created ?

Any idea ?

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don’t blame me. I voted for Gore.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jjs
Mar 21, 2005
"Al Dykes" wrote in message

Is there a way, within the browser to take the pictures in the order they appear on the screen and assign ascending number file names to them so when I use some other software on the same folder I see the pics in the order I’ve created ?

Yes. Do exactly what you stated: drag files into the browser and drag them into the order you wish them to eventually sort (alphabetically), then use the Browser’s "Automate" "Batch Rename" option. See the options. You can select-all first if it makes you comfortable. Don’t go to the wrong menu bar. 🙂 You want the one in File Browser.
A
adykes
Mar 21, 2005
In article ,
jjs <john&#064;xstafford.net> wrote:

Yes. Do exactly what you stated: drag files into the browser and drag them into the order you wish them to eventually sort (alphabetically), then use the Browser’s "Automate" "Batch Rename" option. See the options. You can select-all first if it makes you comfortable. Don’t go to the wrong menu bar. 🙂 You want the one in File Browser.

I don’t want to sort them alpahbetically. I want to replace the current file names with new names that colate the files the way I’ve arranged them in the browser. maybe I didn’t make myself clear.

I have all the pics selected in the browser window and I can click on "automate" in the broswer window but under that everything is greyed out.

Thanks

J
jjs
Mar 21, 2005

I don’t want to sort them alpahbetically. I want to replace the current file names with new names that colate the files the way I’ve arranged them in the browser. maybe I didn’t make myself clear.

Let me spell it out again.

File – Browser
Find the folder you are working with – the one with all the file you want to re-arrange
Drag the images into the order you like
Select-all
File-Browser – Automate – Batch Rename
Select the scheme you want in the window File Naming – clicky-click on leetle arrows to see the options
Press OK

See, what you are doing is dragging the files into the order you want. Then the Batch Rename can create an alphabetical naming scheme that keeps them in that order in the normal WindoZe directory. It is all you can do to organize in a director/folder.
A
adykes
Mar 21, 2005
In article ,

Let me spell it out again.

File – Browser
Find the folder you are working with – the one with all the file you want to re-arrange
Drag the images into the order you like
Select-all
File-Browser – Automate – Batch Rename
Select the scheme you want in the window File Naming – clicky-click on leetle arrows to see the options
Press OK

See, what you are doing is dragging the files into the order you want. Then the Batch Rename can create an alphabetical naming scheme that keeps them in that order in the normal WindoZe directory. It is all you can do to organize in a director/folder.

It works now when I copy a few files (70) to a folder.

The folder I’m having problmes with has 900 jpgs, most abouy 50k, and the "batch rename" pulldown stays grey. Only selecting a few files doesn’t change anything.

Clearly I’ve got a horsepower or resources issue. After I’ve done a select-all I leave the machine alone until photoshop CPU usage goes to zero. The automate pulldown is It’s still grey. This is a decent w2k machine with 1 gig of ram and 3 SATA disks set up for PS. Now that I understand what’s going on it’s not a showstopper for me.

Thanks.

J
jjs
Mar 21, 2005

(Incidentally, forgot to mention – but you don’t need it now – http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/temp/

The folder I’m having problmes with has 900 jpgs, most abouy 50k, and the "batch rename" pulldown stays grey. Only selecting a few files doesn’t change anything.

I understand, now.
Try one thing: control-d
That will unselect-all
However, it should still process them all.

Clearly I’ve got a horsepower or resources issue. After I’ve done a select-all I leave the machine alone until photoshop CPU usage goes to zero. The automate pulldown is It’s still grey. This is a decent w2k machine with 1 gig of ram and 3 SATA disks set up for PS. Now that I understand what’s going on it’s not a showstopper for me.

I have the same kind of system. Let me try the same with 1000 images and see if I can work it out. Meanwhile, maybe someone else has a utility we are not aware of. (Folks – try it before recommending. :))
J
jjs
Mar 21, 2005
Okay. I loaded 3,206 files to a directory.
Opened photoshop’s browser to that directory
At the bottom of the browser is the activity status "Getting %%%%% thumbnail…"
It takes about as long for CS to build the thumbnails for (View-Details) as it does to copy them into the folder.
Batch Rename (to same folder) opens.
I select "4 digit" + "extension"
It takes off and CS is taking 50% of my (dual) CPU time
And it’s done in about two minutes.

So it worked for me.
I wish you luck, Sir.

John
H
harrylimey
Mar 21, 2005
"jjs" <john&#064;xstafford.net> wrote in message

I have the same kind of system. Let me try the same with 1000 images and
see
if I can work it out. Meanwhile, maybe someone else has a utility we are
not
aware of.

(Folks – try it before recommending. :)) (Sorry don’t have a file big enough to try!!)

Al

Not sure what the order of your files is?? size, date, image size?? but have you tried Irfanview? and if you have windows you can, pretty well, organise the files into any order you wish and then use Irfanview to rename! – I have never tried the sort of volume of images you are talking about, but as it is a free progrmme it must be worth trying??

Harry
A
adykes
Mar 21, 2005
In article ,

(Incidentally, forgot to mention – but you don’t need it now – http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/temp/

I understand, now.
Try one thing: control-d
That will unselect-all
However, it should still process them all.

I have the same kind of system. Let me try the same with 1000 images and see if I can work it out. Meanwhile, maybe someone else has a utility we are not aware of. (Folks – try it before recommending. :))

This is not a showstopper for what I’m doing, don’t go testing some other software just for this. I’d like to find out what the bottleneck is.

Thanks

A
adykes
Mar 21, 2005
In article ,
Okay. I loaded 3,206 files to a directory.
Opened photoshop’s browser to that directory
At the bottom of the browser is the activity status "Getting %%%%% thumbnail…"
It takes about as long for CS to build the thumbnails for (View-Details) as it does to copy them into the folder.
Batch Rename (to same folder) opens.
I select "4 digit" + "extension"
It takes off and CS is taking 50% of my (dual) CPU time
And it’s done in about two minutes.

So it worked for me.
I wish you luck, Sir.

John

Thanks much.

A
adykes
Mar 21, 2005
In article <d1nicb$69r$>,
Harry Limey wrote:
"jjs" <john&#064;xstafford.net> wrote in message
I have the same kind of system. Let me try the same with 1000 images and
see
if I can work it out. Meanwhile, maybe someone else has a utility we are
not
aware of.

(Folks – try it before recommending. :)) (Sorry don’t have a file big enough to try!!)

Al

Not sure what the order of your files is?? size, date, image size?? but have you tried Irfanview? and if you have windows you can, pretty well, organise the files into any order you wish and then use Irfanview to rename! – I have never tried the sort of volume of images you are talking about, but as it is a free progrmme it must be worth trying??

Harry

It always amazes me what irfanview can do. Thanks.

S
saswss
Mar 22, 2005
In article ,
"jjs" <john&#064;xstafford.net> writes:
Yes. Do exactly what you stated: drag files into the browser and drag them into the order you wish them to eventually sort (alphabetically), then use the Browser’s "Automate" "Batch Rename" option. See the options. You can select-all first if it makes you comfortable.

You can do almost the same thing in Windows explorer. Use a thumbnail view, drag the files into the order you want, ctrl-A, right-click and choose Rename.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections