Posted By
zloi
Jan 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I have had PS 7.0.1 for WIN for a couple years and have not run across this problem until today. I was working with a 40 MB RGB TIF file, but when I went to save it, I got the error message, "cannot process your request because of a program error." I was forced to close the file without saving the changes I’d made. I repeated this process twice more with this file and a duplicate of it with same results. I tried another, smaller JPG file, which the program saved with no problem (though I didn’t do much to change it). I have ~1 GB of RAM and a pretty fast recent processor. I have worked with larger files in the past and, as I say, not encountered any difficulties saving them or otherwise. Anyone got any ideas what’s going on? Obviously, this is a crucial situation, since the inability to save changed files damn near renders the program useless.

Thanks,
-Tom

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Jan 15, 2004
when in doubt, try resetting your prefrences:

Mathias Vejerslev "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 2/11/03 12:04pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
Z
zloi
Jan 15, 2004
Update on the problem (1/15):
I tried saving a modified Grayscale file and had no problem. That led me to think of a recent change I had made resulting from some other peculiar behavior the program started exhibiting a couple weeks ago. Abruptly, it started showing a message every time I initiated the program, something like, "Do you want to customize your color settings now?" as though I had never done so in the previous two years I had owned the program and had no problems with it. Weird. I mentioned this online and got a response from one guy to create new custom settings and make sure they were in the proper Color/Settings file. I did so (there was no other custom file there–also weird!) So, I decided that re-instating the factory default settings, as suggested above, might do the trick. First of all, I ran a full computer search and came up with NO "*.psp" files anywhere. Hmm…doesn’t sound right, but there just weren’t any with that extension. So, I followed the other directive, to simply wipe out the current settings at the time the program is starting up. Done. However, testing with another RGB file revealed–no change. Still got the message, "cannot process your request because of program error." I have since tried saving other color files–Index and RGB–and lo and behold, they save! There may be somthing about this one particular RGB I’m working on that PS doesn’t like, but I have no idea what. This still sounds like a program defect which needs correction, lest it start picking on other, modified RGB files in future, too. I’m baffled. Help!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 15, 2004
what’s the image size of that file?
MK
Monte_Krause
Jan 15, 2004
….make sure the file is a compatible mode.
Z
zloi
Jan 15, 2004
The file’s image size is just under 40 MB. I’ve worked with files over 60 MB without a problem. Like I said, PS has access to adequate RAM, 60% of my total, or about 560 MB. I don’t know what Monte means by "compatible mode." It’s an RGB file. I’ll experiment around some more with different color files, and see if I can narrow the prob down further. I still can’t help but link it to the quirk I described which started about 2 wks ago, when the program suddenly, a propos of nothing, would ask at start up if I wanted to re-configure my color settings. Since resaving my settings and checking to see they were in the right folder ("…Common Files/Adobe/Color/Settings") the problem has stopped. But I could not find the "*.psp" file as suggested in Mathias Vejerslev "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 2/11/03 12:04pm.

-Tom
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 16, 2004
Are you set to show all files, including system and hidden files?

Alternately, just use the shift/ctrl/alt key method to delete prefs.

Mac
Z
zloi
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, I did delete all the prefs and started anew. That didn’t help. However, I decided to re-open the file and continue working on it until it stopped me (as it did the first time when it started flashing an error message I couldn’t get rid of, something like, "You must enter an integer between __ and __" Wacko stuff.) Well, it allowed me to finish my modifications, so I went ahead and printed it, just to have a hard copy. This went smoothly. Then I tried saving it, fully expecting the same result, but egads!–it saved the file as usual, no prob. So, my good luck this time, but I don’t feel very confident in the program any more if it is going to randomly pull these kind of pranks and jeopardize much work somebody has just completed on a file. This is why I have said for years, computers are great when they do what you want them to, but by god, I still HATES ’em! They are just too many unforeseeable glitches which the average unenlightened shmo like me can waste hours trying to figure out.
Would still like to know what’s going on, in case it recurs. -Tom

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections