NB
Posted By
Nv8r Blak
Feb 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Wassup people… just wondering if anyone had any experience with or advise on getting a graphics tablet. I’m looking at the Graphite 3 from Wacom but any suggestions or usfull info before I put down my hard earned $100 bucks (my allowance from my wife) would be helpfull. And if you know of another tablet just as good or better for around $100 let me know. I only have that much for now untill I land the big graphic design contract and can shell out $300 for a new toy ( or I do some extra chores and my wife pays me more allowance). Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TF
Todd F
Feb 12, 2004
You may want to check on ebay for a Medion tablet. I bought one and it is great. It is 9"x12" and comes with the pen and a mouse. You can get one there for under $125.00. These were being sold at the grocery chain Aldi’s for $39.00 a few months ago but sold out in like a day. Medion is a German computer company like Dell is in the US.

Todd

"Nv8r Blak" wrote in message
Wassup people… just wondering if anyone had any experience with or
advise
on getting a graphics tablet. I’m looking at the Graphite 3 from Wacom
but
any suggestions or usfull info before I put down my hard earned $100 bucks (my allowance from my wife) would be helpfull. And if you know of another tablet just as good or better for around $100 let me know. I only have
that
much for now untill I land the big graphic design contract and can shell
out
$300 for a new toy ( or I do some extra chores and my wife pays me more allowance). Thanks

TE
Tin Ear
Feb 12, 2004
"Todd Felmly" wrote in message
You may want to check on ebay for a Medion tablet. I bought one and it is great. It is 9"x12" and comes with the pen and a mouse. You can get one there for under $125.00. These were being sold at the grocery chain Aldi’s for $39.00 a few months ago but sold out in like a day. Medion is a German computer company like Dell is in the US.

Todd

"Nv8r Blak" wrote in message
advise
but
any suggestions or usfull info before I put down my hard earned $100
bucks
(my allowance from my wife) would be helpfull. And if you know of
another
tablet just as good or better for around $100 let me know. I only have
that
out
$300 for a new toy ( or I do some extra chores and my wife pays me more allowance). Thanks
I saved a little longer and got the Wacom Intuos 6×8 and love it. I would have liked the 9×12, but just could not justify the added cost. The 6×8 size is convenient. I use mine primarily while working on retouching scanned photos, but I’ve come to like it as a general pointing device with most of the Creative Suite. What I like is the pressure sensitivity response of the Intuos vs the Graphire.
DM
D McCallum
Feb 12, 2004
If you get a waccom you’ll never go back. I have the waccom 3 , unless you’re actually doing large autocad designs , this is all you’ll need as the programmable bar of the higher priced ones will be unused. "Nv8r Blak" wrote in message
advise
but
any suggestions or usfull info before I put down my hard earned $100 bucks (my allowance from my wife) would be helpfull. And if you know of another tablet just as good or better for around $100 let me know. I only have
that
out

J
jonalouvjona
Feb 13, 2004
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:01:02 GMT, "Nv8r Blak"
wrote:

Wassup people… just wondering if anyone had any experience with or advise on getting a graphics tablet. I’m looking at the Graphite 3 from Wacom but any suggestions or usfull info before I put down my hard earned $100 bucks (my allowance from my wife) would be helpfull. And if you know of another tablet just as good or better for around $100 let me know. I only have that much for now untill I land the big graphic design contract and can shell out $300 for a new toy ( or I do some extra chores and my wife pays me more allowance). Thanks.

There are other companies making nice tablets. But no one ever reviews them. This is a damn shame.

How can artists make a choice when Wacom monopolize the magazine reviews?! If there is nothing else being reviewed how can you say Wacom is the best?!

Well, I will review a $50 UC-Logic tablet in a frew days (shipped out yesterday). The Wacom media monopoly must end now!

P.S., I used to own 2 Wacoms Intuos but sold them cause felt they’re weren’t worth the price (good resale value though). Another reason I sold the Wacom is because I tried a UC-Logic tablet for a bit and it felt far more responsive. So, I decided to go UC-Logic instead.

Stay tuned for a review in a few days. I will do a fair comparison between UC-Logic and Wacom Intuos and possibly shatter a long standing myth!.
H
Hecate
Feb 14, 2004
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:43:45 -0800, jonalouvjona
wrote:

wrote:

Wassup people… just wondering if anyone had any experience with or advise on getting a graphics tablet. I’m looking at the Graphite 3 from Wacom but any suggestions or usfull info before I put down my hard earned $100 bucks (my allowance from my wife) would be helpfull. And if you know of another tablet just as good or better for around $100 let me know. I only have that much for now untill I land the big graphic design contract and can shell out $300 for a new toy ( or I do some extra chores and my wife pays me more allowance). Thanks.

There are other companies making nice tablets. But no one ever reviews them. This is a damn shame.

How can artists make a choice when Wacom monopolize the magazine reviews?! If there is nothing else being reviewed how can you say Wacom is the best?!
Quite easily. The reason you don’t see reviews of the other tablets is because there really isn’t any comparison and one review from someone who displays such a bias against Wacom won’t change anything I’m afraid.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
J
jonalouvjona
Feb 14, 2004
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 02:49:12 +0000, Hecate wrote:

Quite easily. The reason you don’t see reviews of the other tablets is because there really isn’t any comparison and one review from someone who displays such a bias against Wacom won’t change anything I’m afraid.

It’s small minded (and uneducated, by your use of circular reasoning) people like you that has caused consumers to suffer and corporations to plunder our pocketbooks and kill our troops.

Remember, I’m offering to give a comparitive review that none of you can, nor can magazines. I’ve been waiting for others to review other tablets but no one is willing so I had to take the initiative.

Choice is better. Competition is better. Monopoly hurts consumers … drives up prices and stifles innovation.

By your fear of my review, I must ask (I’m sure others are suspicious), do you work for Wacom? If so, what do you have to fear if you think Wacoms are the best?

P.S. I’ve owned and used Wacom Intuos (4×5 and 6×8) tablets for 3 years. Using a pen (vs a mouse) is nice for artwork, selections and touchups but I didn’t feel it was worth it’s $300/tablet pricetag.
H
Hecate
Feb 15, 2004
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:35:47 -0800, jonalouvjona
wrote:

It’s small minded (and uneducated, by your use of circular reasoning) people like you that has caused consumers to suffer and corporations to plunder our pocketbooks and kill our troops.

hahaha! That is *so* over the top it just illustrates my point about bias.

Remember, I’m offering to give a comparitive review that none of you can, nor can magazines. I’ve been waiting for others to review other tablets but no one is willing so I had to take the initiative.

Comparative reviews require objectivity. You’ve shown you have none.

Choice is better. Competition is better. Monopoly hurts consumers … drives up prices and stifles innovation.

At last, something I can agree with.. However, competition for competitions sake does no one any favours. I’m not going to use substandard equipment just for the sake of having competition.

By your fear of my review, I must ask (I’m sure others are suspicious), do you work for Wacom? If so, what do you have to fear if you think Wacoms are the best?

I don’t "fear" your review. I question your objectivity.

Never been near a Wacom building in my life. However, just to fuel your conspiracy theory, I have worked for the government (the British one)>

P.S. I’ve owned and used Wacom Intuos (4×5 and 6×8) tablets for 3 years. Using a pen (vs a mouse) is nice for artwork, selections and touchups but I didn’t feel it was worth it’s $300/tablet pricetag.

I’ve used, and use Wacom. I tried out an aipshit one once. It was crap. I’ve used the same Wacom tablet now for about ten years and the prices they charge are good value for money because of their build quality. And when your income depends on your equipment, not having to replace that equipment constantly through lack of build quality is a major factor.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
K
KBob
Feb 16, 2004
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:59:45 -0500, "Tin Ear" wrote:

snip<
I saved a little longer and got the Wacom Intuos 6×8 and love it. I would have liked the 9×12, but just could not justify the added cost. The 6×8 size is convenient. I use mine primarily while working on retouching scanned photos, but I’ve come to like it as a general pointing device with most of the Creative Suite. What I like is the pressure sensitivity response of the Intuos vs the Graphire.
In my experience, the Intuos tablets are far superior in both performance and durability. I’ve had a couple Graphire tablets, and neither lasted more than a few months. The tablet became erratic on one of them, and the cheapo mouse of the other one fell apart. My Intuos 2 has held up perfectly for 2 years now and I can find no faults whatever. Great pen, and the mouse is waaay better.
K
KBob
Feb 16, 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:43:45 -0800, jonalouvjona
wrote:

wrote:

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

What’s more important than small differences between brands is which ones are fully supported by Photoshop and other graphics programs you may plan to use. The Wacom units have longstanding support by Adobe and a good track record, at least for the Intuos series.
H
Hecate
Feb 16, 2004
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 01:04:32 GMT, KBob wrote:

In my experience, the Intuos tablets are far superior in both performance and durability. I’ve had a couple Graphire tablets, and neither lasted more than a few months. The tablet became erratic on one of them, and the cheapo mouse of the other one fell apart. My Intuos 2 has held up perfectly for 2 years now and I can find no faults whatever. Great pen, and the mouse is waaay better.

I haven’t used a Graphire. Why? Because I bought the forerunner, the Artpad II a long time ago and it’s still giving me great service and is solid. However, I’m pretty fed up with the serial connection and soon, there won’t be any of those. So, I’ll probably buy the A5 graphire.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
S
supchaka
Feb 16, 2004
Someone mentioned the Intuos being pressure sensitive and the Graphir isn’t. I have the Graphire and its pressure sensitive as well. I jus had a hell of a time getting used to it. They are great for makin selections and drawing but I still don’t like navigating application with it. I loathe touchpads and thats what it is really. The absolut pointer positioning only took a day or two to get used to.

I’d recommend one to anyone who is doing any kind of serious art o graphics work on a PC, can’t live without it

supchak
———————————————————— ———– Posted via http://www.forum4designers.co
———————————————————— ———– View this thread: http://www.forum4designers.com/message44727.htm
N
newsgroup
Feb 25, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:35:47 -0800, jonalouvjona
wrote:

hahaha! That is *so* over the top it just illustrates my point about bias.

Comparative reviews require objectivity. You’ve shown you have none.

At last, something I can agree with.. However, competition for competitions sake does no one any favours. I’m not going to use substandard equipment just for the sake of having competition.

I don’t "fear" your review. I question your objectivity.
Never been near a Wacom building in my life. However, just to fuel your conspiracy theory, I have worked for the government (the British one)>

I’ve used, and use Wacom. I tried out an aipshit one once. It was crap. I’ve used the same Wacom tablet now for about ten years and the prices they charge are good value for money because of their build quality. And when your income depends on your equipment, not having to replace that equipment constantly through lack of build quality is a major factor.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

So no review then? Objective or otherwise?
Man…

=)
H
Hecate
Feb 26, 2004
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:28:10 GMT, "Dr. J. Smith" wrote:

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Man…
Yes. If you want an objective review all you have to do is purchase a copy of Digital Photo (a UK mag) where they reviewed (IIRC) 13 different tablets. There were two recommendations for a budget award from people other than Wacom. They did, however point out that the "pointing devices were fragile" and that the "build quality left something to be desired". All the other awards went to Wacom.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
newsgroup
Feb 26, 2004
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:28:10 GMT, "Dr. J. Smith" wrote:

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Man…
Yes. If you want an objective review all you have to do is purchase a copy of Digital Photo (a UK mag) where they reviewed (IIRC) 13 different tablets. There were two recommendations for a budget award from people other than Wacom. They did, however point out that the "pointing devices were fragile" and that the "build quality left something to be desired". All the other awards went to Wacom.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

HEY! You erased my smiley! We don’t cotton to that kind of behaviour in these here parts. But…
thanks for the input, I’m trying to swing an Intuos through a wholesaler. ~Doc
H
Hecate
Feb 27, 2004
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 05:06:21 GMT, "Dr. J. Smith" wrote:

Man…

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

HEY! You erased my smiley! We don’t cotton to that kind of behaviour in these here parts. But…
Ooops, sorry 🙂

Hope it helped 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
newsgroup
Feb 27, 2004
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 05:06:21 GMT, "Dr. J. Smith" wrote:

Man…

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Ooops, sorry 🙂

Hope it helped 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Well the info helped up to the "all you have to do is" statement since I’m not in the UK, but the critical point is my smiley is now cowering under my Ctrl key, a definite problem with using shortcuts, thank you very much. I see you keep your smileys very close to your statements, a practice I’ll keep in mind in the future in this unsafe environment. But we digress, on to more important things like pixels and such…. by the way, it would probably take surgery to remove my tongue from my cheek, but I’m guessing you’re on to that already…

~Doc
H
Hecate
Feb 28, 2004
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 04:51:46 GMT, "Dr. J. Smith" wrote:

Well the info helped up to the "all you have to do is" statement since I’m not in the UK, but the critical point is my smiley is now cowering under my Ctrl key, a definite problem with using shortcuts, thank you very much. I see you keep your smileys very close to your statements, a practice I’ll keep in mind in the future in this unsafe environment. But we digress, on to more important things like pixels and such…. by the way, it would probably take surgery to remove my tongue from my cheek, but I’m guessing you’re on to that already…
"Tongue in cheek"? Is that a PS plug-in? 😉

If you want the info from the mag, give me a price point ($ will do) and I’ll dig out the article and let you have the relevant reviews by mail. 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
newsgroup
Feb 28, 2004
wrote:

"Tongue in cheek"? Is that a PS plug-in? 😉

Actually it is indeed! No matter how interesting of an effect you produce with it it won’t return the result as it assumes you didn’t mean it anyway. ~Doc

btw// …article not necessary =)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections