MM
Posted By
Marie_Maier
Jan 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Now that the monitor has arrived, I can try to get to partitioning the new computer. I put in the WinXP disc, hit F2, BIOS showed "Drive Configuration" and "Boot Sequence". I chose the later: up comes
1.Diskette Drive
2.Hard Disc Drive C and
3.IDE CD-ROM Device which I chose. Nothing else came up–no choices at all.

I thought that was the way to boot up from the CD where I’d be able to delete all that’s on the present C drive and then make the 3 partitions for that drive and the other one. What didn’t I do? <sigh>

BTW, both drives have 232G, not 250G as they should. I’m mad at that.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
Jan 14, 2004
Marie,

Having done that Save the bios setup (Save Changes and Exit) and re-boot. The machine should then boot from the CD
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 14, 2004
Marie,

You need to change the boot sequence so that the CD drive is first. And then when you reboot, you’ll be given about 15 seconds to hit any key to boot to it. If you don’t hit a key, it will boot to the harddrive.

The computer will need to restart several times during the installaion, giving you the same message. DON’T hit a key when the computer restarts. Windows will then continue with the installation.

Bob
J
Jim
Jan 14, 2004
The advertised size is the one based on a KB being 1000 bytes, a MB being 1000 KB, and a GB being 1000 MB.

However, computer programs show the size based on a KB being 1024 bytes, an MB being 1024 KB, and a GB being 1024 MB.

The size depends on how you measure it. So, it could easily be that the size is 232GB based on one criterion or 250 GB based on the other.

Jim
wrote in message
BTW, both drives have 232G, not 250G as they should. I’m mad at that.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 14, 2004
OK. I’ll do that. When I saw nothing happened, I clicked "no changes and exit". I’m not sure how you make the CD drive first in the BIOS
setup—it’s third in the list, but I’ll check it out…………… Thanks so much….
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 14, 2004
Marie,

On certain systems you change the sequence by moving the desired item to the top of the list. For instance with the arrow-up key.

Rob
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 14, 2004
OK. I’ll do that. When I saw nothing happened, I clicked "no changes and exit". I’m not sure how you make the CD drive first in the BIOS
setup—it’s third in the list, but I’ll check it out…………… Thanks so much….
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 14, 2004
Well, it booted from the CD–and now is stuck on Welcome to Setup. I hope I chose right–I selected :to set up Windows XP now, press ENTER. I did, and it’s still there……………Other choices were
"To repair a WIndowsXP installation Using Recovery Console" or "To quit Septup withougt installing windowXP, press F3"…..

Lord, I hope I selected correctly—it’s still hangin’…..
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 14, 2004
It was still hanging, tried F3 to to exit and it still froze. I shut it down.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 14, 2004
You are on the right track. I don’t know why it should hang at that point but you need to get past that. Below are some very abbreviated instructions from XP Annoyances book.

If you get past the previous point then

Setup will look for an existing Windows XP installation. If one is found,
you’ll have the opportunity to repair it now. Just press ESC to continue. The next screen will allow you to choose a drive and partition on which to install Windows. Here, you’ll have the option of installing onto an existing drive or making changes to your partition table to add or remove partitions. >

If you really can’t boot from the CD, you should still be able to create partitions on and install a new OS onto the second hard drive by running Setup from within Windows. Once you do that, you can always start up from that drive and reformat the first one, reinstall on that and Bob’s your uncle I hope. It never does any harm to have two OSs on a machine particularly with the amount of disk space you have. The apparent loss of space is normal. Don’t get too mad at it.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 14, 2004
PS, running Setup from within Windows – just start up as normal, stick the CD in and do the same but choose to install on your second drive.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 14, 2004
Marie,

Don’t Panic.

Remember you are dealing with software from the House of Gates – it will send incomprehensible messages, do unpredictable things and generally do its best to make you feel totally inadequate in a really smug way.

That said……..try the setup routine again. If it still doesn’t want to know, (I’m assuming the Dell came with XP pre-installed here) remove the CD and reboot into the pre-installed XP.

With all up and running, insert the CD again, choose "Install Windows XP", then when the Welcome to Setup window appears, in the "Installation" drop-down menu at top right (which will have "Upgrade (recommended)" showing), select "New Installation".

This should now take you to the EULA and then to the product key window. Once you have filled this in, setup should commence. Just remember that you are doing a new install, so if presented with options of keeping existing data at any stage, select "no" and let the installer do its thing.

As Bob said earlier, when the installer reboots (as it will do several times), DO NOT select the "Boot from CD" option at any time – this will just end up starting the whole install process again – and again – and again etc.

Except when dealing with the partitioning side of things, the best bet is to stand back and let the installer do its own thing, including the countdown to restart (don’t be tempted to press "enter" just to hurry things along – be patient). This is one of those inexplicable MS Nerd situations that can really upset the apple cart, because most likely when you are presented with this option, the original OS will no longer be bootable, and if you cannot boot into Installer from the CD properly – well, THEN you could start to panic!

A bit late now, but this is part of why I gave Partition Magic such an endorsement earlier – it would have enabled you to partition the drives from within the existing XP before doing the new install, and then being able to let the Best from MS carry on in its own confused and irrational way without trapping you into creating more havoc.

As to the drives not being the full size – there is some technical reason for this which I can’t recall, but it’s kind of like car manufacturers claiming horsepower figures at the engine flywheel as opposed to the drive wheels.

Fred.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 14, 2004
I got past the hangup, and chose "D" to delete the partition. Now I get a large dialogue box saying all this:

There is no disk in this drive.
238418 MB Disk 0 ………

-:Partition1[FAT] 39MB (32MB free)
C:Partition 2 [NTFS] 238371 MB (231840 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8MB

238418 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
Unpartitioned space 238418 [MBR]

Do I delete the Partition 1 that has the 39MB [FAT]?
I don’t see how I change the numbers in the C partition that’s listed. Do I drop down to the "unpartitioned space" and add 2 partitions there? I wanted to have 3 drives in C–a 10G for WinOS, 15G Scratch Disk and the rest open. Must these be listed in MG rather than GB?

( I think my husband’s getting very nervous…… and me not being familiar with WinXP at all is not helpful……..)
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 14, 2004
Delete away and create all the partitions you want. Create your C partiition now of course. Make them NTFS. You can create all your other partitions afterwards from within Windows if you prefer. The only one you can’t delete from within WIndows is the OS partition. Given the huge amount of disk space you have, I’d give 20 for the OS, just in case you ever want to install a lot of apps. 10 is very tight.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 14, 2004
I can feel the tension. Come on Marie. Do it.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 14, 2004
MS must be given highest honours in the creation of needless stress – as Mick says, Marie, do it!

Just remember -"no toucha da buttons" once Installer decides that it can now install on its own (after you’ve done all the time/regional/language settings), go get a stiff drink and retire to another room with pleasing distractions and hopefully some 35-45 minutes later you should have a new computer with a new OS ready to go.

Like a newborn baby, though, just poke your head into the computer room every now and then just to make sure that Installer is still breathing…….

Fred.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 14, 2004
Tension doesn’t cover it Mick, Fred! That stiff drink would be most welcome right now!

I tried to delete that FAT partition and Billy said "NO" it’s reserved for OS.

Sorry to be so dense at this, but do I now delete the C partition and then recreate it by "pressing C" for a new "C" partition? And then, drop down to "unpartitioned Space" and press "C" twice again?

I still don’t see how to stipulate it’s size…..where’s the vodka?
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 14, 2004
Yes, unless you want to keep the original OS. Never mind Billy (sorry Billy). Doesn’t seem much point in keeping the OS though unless you want to be really safe. You could create a D instead and install on that. Please do it soon. It’s nearly my bedtime here and I have to know what happens. Oh the suspense.
JL
Jorge_Li
Jan 14, 2004
Do not delete the C partition, format it and then install your OS.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 14, 2004
Sorry, Marie – over to Mick. I’ve always used Partition Magic, which creates none of this dramatic suspense!

Fred.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 14, 2004
Mick–nighty nite—and sweet dreams. I’ll poke about here and there a bit longer and call it a night myself pretty soon, but I hope to get a few answers on how to designate the partition sizes before I crash……………
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 15, 2004
Don’t listen to Jorge either. Give him and Billy a drink (Jorge – she doesn’t want a 230Gb for the OS).
Actually I’m not sure what the 39MB FAT partition is. It may be something for DOS. Don’t delete it then. Just delete the C partition. Sorry again Billy.

And I always thought installing Windows was easy. Well it is actually.

Come back Fred.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 15, 2004
OK Marie. I’m signing out. The really really simplest thing you could do is the non-destructive thing. Create partitions on your second drive and install there. That will give you the feel for it. You won’t do any harm to the machine and you will always be able to go back to the original – you will get a multiboot option. Then when you feel comfortable with it, install on the first drive. Good luck.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 15, 2004
Do not delete the C partition

Wrong. She needs to delete it to kill everything on the harddrive and then create new, smaller partitions.

And Marie, no need for stress. This is a brand new machine. No data is in danger. You can’t possibly lose anything but a little time and the education you will gain from this experience will serve you well.

As for that tiny partion, Dell puts their diagnostics there. Just leave it.

Bob
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 15, 2004
Oh, hubby is getting that drink for me! I deleted the C partition (had a nice warning about losing all data) and I created the 3 partitions of 20G, 20G and 198+G.

2 problems: I was not asked about NFTS…..and I’m not sure where the 2nd HD is on that blue screen. There is another "unpartitioned space" at the bottom of the screen with 238418GB, but it has the same ID as the C drive:"238418 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]"

So—do I have fun with that "C"(create) key again and divide that other unpartitioned space into my new 3 drives and assume that IS the 2nd hard drive?

Also, do all the new drives need to be formatted in Windows, once I get out of BIOS, before I enter anything on them?

Lordie, lordie, this is fun….but scary………….and I have to admit, I really am enjoying this–turmoil et all……
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 15, 2004
Marie,

You don’t have to format anything at this point. When you pick the partition to install to, XP will format it for you and ask you what file format to use.

Bob
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 15, 2004
OK Bob, sounds right. Now–do I guess that the "unpartitioned space" at the bottom of the screen is the 2nd drive? I’m just guessing it is, ’cause if it wasn’t, what else would it be? It’s just the ID being the same as the other drive throws me……..
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 15, 2004
Now–do I guess that the "unpartitioned space" at the bottom of the screen is the 2nd drive?

Without seeing the screen I couldn’t really say. You should be able to tell by the amount of space indicated there.

Bob
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 15, 2004
Yes it was. 3 new partitions were created, and I wanted to quit but I’d have to do the setup all over again, so it’s now formatting the drive and installing the OS. I can’t believe it!!!!!
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 15, 2004
Marie,

Back with you (running on Tasmania time – yes, there really is such a place), glad that I missed the partitioning thing, though!

For the drivers: XP will have identified and installed its own drivers for all the basic peripherals it found. If it couldn’t identify something, it would/will have launched the "Windows has found new hardware and will now install drivers…..etc" dialog during boot-up. If you downloaded the latest drivers for your peripherals first, insert the disk they are saved on and point Windows to that location by selecting the "Install from a specific location" option.

If nothing like this happened, then Windows has found drivers of its own (albeit probably outdated) for everything you have attached to your computer.

After you have settled down with everything, you can download the latest drivers for all your peripherals (which can be found by right clicking "My Computer", selecting "Properties", left click "Hardware" tab and select "Device Manager". Expand each item in turn, right clicking the sub items will bring up the "update driver" option, which, when selected, will present you with a dialog offering the "Install from a specific location" option. Follow the procedure I outlined above to update your drivers one at a time.

Use the Windows Internet Ionnection Wizard to set up your internet connection (Start> Control Panel> Internet Options> Connections> Setup.)

Also visit Windows Update to bring your XP installation up to date after you have set up your internet connection.

Sounds like you’re well on the way to state-of-the-art Photoshopping.

Fred.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 15, 2004
Hello Fred in Tasmania! Bet you didn’t get 9" of snow yesterday as we did! You’ve had your winter months ago? Many schools are closed which means hubby and I will be babysitting 2 kids today. There goes my time for computer playing until much later today.

XP couldn’t have found any periferals yet as I haven’t connected printers or sound system or inserted the monitor driver disc yet. I also have an updated driver for Graphire and Orbit mouse that will have to be added. So these are part of the OS partition? (I’m assuming that everytime I insert a disc, I’ll be asked where to put it?)

I’m not sure just how much XP covers: I forgot about Microsoft Works Suite too. If Internet is there, does Works Suite go into that same OS partition too? Gads—-I wonder what else I forgot……..

I was so happy seeing the OS find its home last night–couldn’t have done it without the encouragement and sense of humor you all offered…..(hubby is a bit more relaxed too…..)
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 15, 2004
Marie,

Actually there was snow down to 800 metres here two days ago – in the middle of summer! Tasmania is as far south as you can go in Australia – next stop Antarctica – though the winters are nowhere near as cold as 42 degrees North.

Just install everything as it is asked for – things will find their own way home. Any software will default install to the C: partition – let it do that.

Update/install drivers as I wrote in the previous post – you’ve gotten over the hard bit now, the rest is just plain sailing.

Fred.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 15, 2004
Marie,

Dell supplied you with a blue disk titled drivers and utilities. In order to use it you’ll have to install some software first. Just pop it in and follow the directions.

It will install and then run a diagnostic on your computer telling you what hardware it found and how to install the drivers.

I doubt very much that Windows will have found drivers for you video card. With my machine it had no drivers for sound, network, or video.

You can check by going to the device manager. You’ll see yellow caution marks next to hardware without drivers.

Bob
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 15, 2004
I checked Bob, and there was a whole block of yellow question marks in the video area. By "install some software, do you mean something like Roxio, FTP, Black Ice, and then put in the Dell driver disc?

What is confusing to me, is that if I want the software in certain partitions, wouldn’t I just open that partition and move the FTP folder, for example, there?

Also, do I format each partition before installing anything?

Sorry for all the questions—I know the really awesome part is over and I don’t want to goof up now…….thanks so much all for your kind patience………………
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 15, 2004
The best thing to do is format all those partitions first.

Then pop that Dell CD in the drive and follow the on screen instruction after the autostart. It’s MUCH easier than it sounds.

It will install a small program that will allow you to easily add the appropriate drivers. The driver installation procedures will vary from driver to driver so pay careful attention to the instuctions that will appear on screen.

And remember…you have nothing to lose here. You can’t possibly damage anything. This is an educational experience for you. Have fun with it.

Bob
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 15, 2004
Hi Marie, so far so good. I’m just home from work here in grey old England. Bob is referring to software drivers which form the interface between the hardware and Windows. From what he says, your driver install disk from Dell should do most of the job. You probably just need to click on a setup file (or possibly several different setup files for each of the drivers).

You need to format the remaining partitions before using them. The easy way to do this is to locate them in My Computer, right click and choose Format. Choose NTFS and Bob is truly your uncle.

The normal thing is to install apps on the OS partition. There is no real benefit that I know of in putting them on separate partitions given that you have more than adequate space on C. Don’t move apllication folders after installing. They won’t like it.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 15, 2004
Each hard drive is now being formatted. Takes a long time for big drives! Then I do as Bob said and install the drivers from the Dell disc.

I hope by saying that applications should go on the OS drive, you’re speaking about Microsoft apps—not others. So Works might end up there.

To me, it seems to defeat the purpose of partitioning and integrity of apps. If the OS goes bad and needs to reinstall, then everything in that partitions goes too. If ONLY the OS was there, the rest of the apps would be fine. At least, that’s the pic in my mind. WHere is this off base?
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 15, 2004
marie, if you lose the os drive (as in need to reformat it) you need to reinstall most apps anyway, as most applications will write support files (dll’s – dynamic link libraries) to the windows folder as well as entries in the registry which also resides on the system drive.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 15, 2004
Marie,

Now that you have a new computer with a fresh install of XP, it is very unlikely that you’ll ever need to reformat the OS drive – XP is not the unstable waste of space that 95/98/ME were.

If you ever feel you have to re-install XP, then you will have to re-install all your apps anyway for the reasons Dave outlined, plus nearly all programs default install onto the C: drive, so if you install any plug-ins or updates later and you have installed your apps on another partition, you will have to manually guide these later additions to that partition as they will be looking for the host program on the C: partition. Things can get tediously messy when doing this.

Once you have set things up, you might look at placing your email folder, address book folder and any other data folders that update frequently onto another partition so that should something go awry with the OS, you won’t lose these. Set your System restore to only backup the C: partition, then you can safely use this to rejuvenate a wobbly OS without trashing your most recent updated files.

A tweaking utility such as X-teq (www.xteq.com) makes the setup of this sort of thing easy.

Also, if you do a backup of your C: partition when it’s working well using a utility such as Norton Ghost, you will never have to do the whole reformat/re-install all programs thing again – all you have to do is overwrite the partition with the Ghost backup, and things will be as they were when you made the ghost (handy to have if XP system restore fails to do the job).

Fred.
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 15, 2004
Applications can be on the same partition as the OS without problems. It is when one wants a non fragmented separate space to store temporary files that the partition becomes helpful. An OS crash rarely damages the other apps, regardless of the partition they are on.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 15, 2004
OK. The formatting took almost 5 hours for all partitiions! Glad they’re now ready to go. I wasn’t thinking that other apps also dock info with the OS, so I’m glad you reminded me of that fact.

However, I do remember Len saying specifically–set a partition for OS and <nothing else>. That’s what I was trying to do! That C partition is a little less than 20GB, so is that plenty of room for the OS, Internet, Works Suite and Drivers? Mouse too? And should Graphire tablet (the love of my computer life) be in C also? Actually, I was going to put those last two in the larger partition (3rd) of the 1st HD.

The other smaller partitions will house scratch disc, pagefile, PS6 and PS7. The two larger partitions will house the rest of several programs. <sigh>I hope this is good planning…….

Thanks all for input–I’ve learned much and it’s been a real treat…
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 16, 2004
Now that you have a new computer with a fresh install of XP, it is very unlikely that you’ll ever need to reformat the OS drive

right!

personally marie, i put my os and apps on a 40 gig c: drive. cuz if it’s gonna go you’re gonna have to reinstall anyway. the rest of the drives are for data, scratch, swap, garbage, etc.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 16, 2004
continued…. sorry.

20 gig should still be plenty of space for os and most (all?) apps. then use your other drives as i described above.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 16, 2004
Are PS6 and PS7 considered apps that should be in C also? If they are in a partition of their own, why can’t the updates to them be installed where they are?
L
LenHewitt
Jan 16, 2004
Marie,

set a partition for OS and <nothing else<<

Take the ‘nothing else’ with a SMALL pinch of salt, but there is SO much data automatically goes to your Documents & Settings\~username\ folder these days (and to program files\common files\ for that matter) that I really would NOT install your applications to the C:\ drive – it will fill up all on its own without any help from you! <g> (although 20 gigs is a ‘healthy’ size and won’t fill up easily….)
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 16, 2004
Marie,

To qualify Len’s pinch of salt – I have 122 separate programs (that alone gave me quite a start when I counted them) installed on my 13GB C:\ drive along with XP Pro, and after 3 months I still have 6GB free.

Moving my (largely dealing with images, so large attachments) emails off the C:\ drive was the greatest space saver, as well as identifying all those files that attract additional and changeable data and moving them to another partition using the aforementioned X-Teq tweaking utility.

So my approach is to spend the up front to have a happy C:\ partition with all programs installed on it, Len follows a route of having a simple OS only C:\ drive with apps elsewhere.

Both are perfectly valid setups which work well, underlining the fact that there usually are several options in computing that achieve similar outcomes.

I stress, however, that unless you are willing to spend that up-front time to move the space chewers off the C:\ drive, then Len’s suggested setup may work better for you.

Fred.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 16, 2004
also qualifying len’s stmt. i had a 20 gig drive as c: on my last system and installed all apps an os to it. 3 1/2 years later when I got a new system I still had 8 gig free. That inlcuded development tools and a few multi gig games. just make sure the swap file is on a seperate drive.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 16, 2004
Marie, at the rate you are going, it will be be time to upgrade to Longhorn before you actually install PS. How could you wait so long to try out a new machine? Just give it a bash. If you don’t like your apps on C, you can uninstall and put them on your X drive.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 16, 2004
At last–the time has come, and I’m really excited about putting Humpty-Dumpty together. Sound system got hooked up last night.

I’m amazed at these last reports of what’s left on a 20Gb HD with apps on there! Never having such a huge closet, I’m probably treading with anxiety that it will get stuffed too soon. So, Len–I plan to stay with the stuff in the partitions as I planned, and let the support files fly to wherever they need to go as you said they will do anyway.

Mick, I’m very apprehensive about WinXP. So many dumb "updates" that should have been carefully worked out in the first place! I loved the easy placement of stuff where I wanted it with Win98. I already tried in XP to make a shortcut to My Computer on the desktop, and it’s a no go. Don’t like that.

I’ll have a good day today to install drivers and some apps and try out stuff, and away I go!

For Len: When I first installed PS 6, I had a terrible time. I remember something about changing the .ini to "old" and making a new one. With the 6.0.1 update, is that still necessary?

Ok. Breakfast first–and then down to happy installs…..I hope…. You guys are the greatest in the whole world (next to hubby….)
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 16, 2004
I can’t get the dang screen off of "strike 1 ro retry boot, F2 for setup utility"………If I hit F2 and then Esc, it goes back to the same message…..if I hit F1 it repeats the first half of the message.

How do I get out of this? Shutting down the computer only brings up the same message on restart………

Will XP only start now only from the CD? <sigh>……(It knows I don’t like XP and is retaliating) At this rate, Longhorn will be ready for me……………
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 16, 2004
Go back into the BIOS and reset the boot sequence to floppy, harddrive, cd drive.

Bob
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 16, 2004
Bob—Thank you, thank you, thank you—–that was driving me nuts!! I got the check marks back on each sequence, saved the changes and Esc got me out of there.

What happened to Ctrl+Alt+Delete in XP? Died?

Now, I can start to play………….thanks so much (whew!)….
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 16, 2004
ctrl+alt+del still works in XP. It brings up the task manager.
L
LenHewitt
Jan 16, 2004
Marie,

Just install 6 and then immediately run the 6,01 update
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 16, 2004
Now, I can start to play

Exactly. You still have nothing to lose. Until you turn that machine into a production machine, it’s an educational experience. Have fun and don’t be afraid of anything.

Next time one of your friends buys a computer, you’ll be the expert.

Bob
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 16, 2004
Marie, no need to be afraid of XP. It’s definitely the best OS Microsoft have ever produced (now I’ll get bashed by the Win2K lovers). Trouble is a lot of the good stuff is a bit hidden.

First thing I do after install is to turn off Automatic Updates so I can control what I want to download. To do this you should put My Computer on your desktop first. Right click on the desktop, hit the desktop tab, then customise desktop, and then click on My Computer. Once you’ve done that, right click My Computer, Automatic Updates tab and turn it off. You can download the updates manually then in your own time but I would highly recommend doing this. Other thing you will find in right clicking My Computer is System Restore. You should turn it off for all except your C drive and reduce the default space to no more than 500MB.

There are laods of XP resources on the web. I’ll post a few good links when I get a chance but the Windows Annoyances site (and book) are superb for getting to the good stuff.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 17, 2004
Progressing along OK. Had a few snags: Monitor driver was not accepted–caused a "General Protection Fault"–will deal with that later; Couldn’t install PS 6 ’cause I don’t have the dang serial number and I’ll get a new one on Monday.

I don’t know what to check for the paging file: Space available is 11938MB and it offers a recommended 3069MB; has 2 radio buttons for System Managed size or no paging file with a "set" button. Since nothing else will be there, is System Managed size the right choice?
DC
Dan_Crescent
Jan 17, 2004
Do yourself a favor, if you haven’t already…

Right click on Start (green start button) and choose Properties, then Classic Start Menu. From there you can also choose Customize or the Tab for the Taskbar settings.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 17, 2004
That’s a preference she can check out if she wants. I happen to prefer the XP interface.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 17, 2004
I happen to prefer the XP interface.

It’s well established that the XP interface is just plain evil! 🙂
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 17, 2004
I’m kinda’ getting used to the XP displays. I knew the Classic interface is available, but for now, I’ll stay with it for a while.

Please—what do I do to set up that XP page file in previous question?
DC
Dan_Crescent
Jan 17, 2004
You can either set it or let the system manage it. I always set mine to whatever the max recommended size.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 17, 2004
Ok. I’ll set it to the max assuming I can make changes if there’s a problem. Now I hope to get the monitor driver accepted so I can tweak that before PS 6 and 7 get on, and I use Adobe Gamma. Thank you!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 17, 2004
Ok. I’ll set it to the max assuming I can make changes if there’s a problem.

I’d let the system manage it. At least for now. You CAN get in trouble if you run out of swap space.
DC
Dan_Crescent
Jan 17, 2004
Ask 100 people, get 100 different answers. This thread drives that point home. I regress. 😉
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 17, 2004
There are dozens of ways to do almost anything. IMO, some are better than others. Most HW/SW recomendations I make are based on experience, both good and bad. Grain of salt. <shrug>
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 17, 2004
It’s well established that the XP interface is just plain evil! 🙂

Not nearly as evil as faux bold.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 17, 2004
was wondering when you were going to catch that! 🙂
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 17, 2004
was wondering when you were going to catch that! 🙂

Ya gotta get up plenty early to beat me!

Bob
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 18, 2004
Programs coming along fine. Installed PS 7 (waiting for new serial # for PS 6) –what happened to Adobe Gamma? I’m not hooked to the internet on that computer yet, so help files not accessible.

Also, if PS6 and PS7 are in one partition, and scratch disc is in another, do I need to have 2 scratch discs in that same place or would PS 6 and 7 use the same one?
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 18, 2004
Adobe Gamma should be in the Control Panel. You may have to switch the Control Panel to classic view to see it.

Bob
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 18, 2004
Thank you! I found it in "other Control Panel options". But, good heaven–there are umpteen profiles there: AdobeRGB1998, Color Match RGB,sRGB Color Space Profile and 25 others! Ok, which one?

My monitor is SyncMaster 957MB and seems to have lots of additional color options.I’m just beginning to play with them, but I’d like to set up Adobe Gamma first. Is that still supposed to be in StartUp too?
L
LenHewitt
Jan 18, 2004
And you don’t need an Internet connection to view the help files, Marie – they are installed on your machine…..
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 18, 2004
Hi Len– I discovered that after the internet dialogue box was closed.

What about the choice setting for Adobe Gamma and will PS 6 and 7 use the same scratch disc?
L
LenHewitt
Jan 19, 2004
Hi Marie,

Yes, you can use the same scratch for both 6 and 7 – you can’t have them both open at the same time, so there cannot be any conflict.

What about the choice setting for Adobe Gamma <<

Not sure I quite understand you. You will need to run Adobe Gamma from the C/Panel to create a new Monitor profile. That profile will be used by both 6 and 7.
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 19, 2004
Good Morning Len! Have to tell you that I am really pleased with PS7 so far and that may soon replace my favorite, PS6. My pen isn’t working correctly but I’m sure that can be fixed, and getting the airbrush to work is a problem for it.

When I first looked at Adobe Gamma, there were a whole bunch of profiles to select from, but now I can’t find what I saw the first time! Spent some good time reviewing Ian Lyons’ Computer Darkroom and found that very helpful.

It’s unbelievable! I worked for over 1 hour on a composite drawing yesterday and didn’t suffer 1 single crash!!! That was so remarkable! I do hope WinXP really is the most stable OS so far….

Hope to get Internet installed today, and future screams to the Forum will come from the new baby…..

What a great time I’m having, thanks to all of the greatest folks in PS Forum………….MM
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 19, 2004
Found it! The host of choices for Adobe Gamma profile is in the "load" area menu. The given profile is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

Didn’t know if I should leave that as the selection or choose AdobeRGB1998. Which one?

Also, there is no offering to define the R-G-B spaces as Ian shows in his display, so I assume this isn’t necessary and PS7 will manage on its own.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 19, 2004
Marie,
Ian’s tutorial recommends using the sRGB profile to start with, since its probably closer to the monitors actual gamut than the AdobeRGB space. Make sure that you change the name when you save your completed profile, or you will OVERWRITE the real sRGB profile. That won’t help you any ! <G>

Defining a custom RGB space is in the Edit > Color Settings , RGB: dropdown box . The top selection is Custom space . I’ve used that to add BruceRGB to my choices . Unless you want to add a new space, its certainly not necessary.

🙂

Brent
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 19, 2004
Yikes. The sRGB profile is NOT listed in all the profile selections in that load area. I’ll look for the Edit settings you suggested and follow that. Thanks mucho!
FA
Fredrik_Aslund
Jan 19, 2004
Marie:
You haven’t mentioned this yet, but as you are partitioning the harddrives in the way you are you might want to change were the folder ‘My Documents’ is residing,atleast if you are using the My Documents folder frequently and you store big files there.

Since My Documents is a part of the Windows system it settles that folder at the C:\ Drive (somewhere inside the ‘Documents & Settings’ folder).

What you can do is to right click it (from the start menu) and click ‘Properties’. From here you’ll see there’s a little someting called ‘Target folder location’ and at this place you’ll be able to select where you’d like it to be, preferably at some other partition than C:\ (i have mine set to D:\My Documents as this is my large partition for work-files).
Just click the Button ‘Move…’ and you’ll get a folder selector (with the option to create a new folder if you don’t have one already). When you found/created a folder that suits you, just click OK and Windows will move all files in your old ‘My Documents folder’ to you new one and all will be good!

At the same time, if you work a lot with the desktop you could also Right-click ‘My Documents’ in the start menu and select ‘Show on Desktop’ if you want to be able to reach that folder from the Desktop, the same goes for ‘My Computer’.

Cheers!
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 19, 2004
That’s a great idea Fredrik–I wasn’t going to use My Documents at all because of where it is. My batches of photo files now comfortably reside on the last and largest partition. (Boy, I LOVE those partitions!!!!) I will move MD as you suggested to the last partition–that would give a few more folder options there. More get-to-know-WinXp-stuff!

And thanks to Mick, I was able (finally) to get My Computer on the desktop. That should be a "given" Billy…….

Also–Adobe Gamma is set up. It stated that my monitor uses HDTV(CCR 709)Phosphors. Ian’s suggestion was to set it at P22 EBU but I left it where it was thinking that was set up by Samsung…Hope that’s right?
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 19, 2004
Marie,
Ian’s suggestion of using P22 EBU was with the added info that the starting point didn’t really all that much in the process. You should be just fine, using the manufacturer’s phosopor settings.

🙂

Brent
MM
Marie_Maier
Jan 23, 2004
To Len H,(please don’t retire for a LONG time,) Mick M, Fred N, Bob L, Dave M. Philo C, Dan C, Brent B, Fredrik A, Rob K, and I hope I didn’t miss anyone: special Kudos to you all. Without your continued support, encouragement, patience, sense of humor and gift of time throughout this partition adventure, it would never have come to be. I just hope that Adobe appreciates the responsibility you offer to its users. No other forum measures up to this level of care and competence.

New baby Dell is off and running, PS 7 got entered and I am enjoying that very much, (I’m still waiting for the serial # for PS 6 –I may not even go back to it), I’m becoming more familiar with WinXP (hate it’s lack of Java support) but treasure the fact I haven’t seen a crash in several hours of PS work. That is super.

Please accept a virtual hug given with much appreciation. You are the greatest.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jan 23, 2004
Marie, glad to hear you’re up and running at last. IE6 does support Java, you just need to get it from the Sun site. The Microsoft WinXP forums are very good. People are very helpful, though not as friendly overall as here I hasten to add. Links to a few WinXP sites you might find useful from time to time:

www.theeldergeek.com – this is a brilliant site
www.kellys-korner-xp.com – very useful fixes for all sorts of things www.dougknox.com
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jan 24, 2004
Marie,

‘s OK.

I predict that you won’t see a crash in several MONTHS of PS work, never mind hours!

Fred.
L
LenHewitt
Jan 24, 2004
I just LOVE a happy ending!

Enjoy, Marie

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections