WK
Posted By
Walt Kay
Feb 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, first of all I’ve been using Photoshop since version 4 so I’m no newbie there but I am new to this newsgroup. Here’s what I’d like to do. In addition to 2d graphics I also use 3d programs and I’m currently getting more into 3d modeling. I use a free modeler called Wings 3d and one of the things you can do with Wings is to import .ai (Illustrator) files to use for your models. This has intrigued me and one of the things I’d like to do is to use Photoshop for this. I’ve already tried this but I think I may be doing something wrong. Here’s what I do, I import the image that I want to do the model of as a JPG file, I trace around the edges with the pen tool as all I want is the basic shape and I can extrude the model in Wings. When I try to save it as an .ai file Photoshop tells me it’s going to convert it to an .eps file. I’ve tried renaming the file to .ai and importing it but I haven’t had any luck yet. Another thing is I also get a warning from Wings saying it only takes .ai files from Illustrator 8 and earlier. Is there a way to do this? Keep in mind I don’t have Illustrator and even if I did I get the feeling Wings wouldn’t accept it because of the aforementioned version 8 and earlier dialog. Looking forward to some help. Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
mike
Feb 12, 2004
Hi Walt,
Couldn’t you just import the image as a JPG file? Also you might try to find a plug-in that will allow you to do the job you need, if that fails try "Blender"! Its really vast for a free 3D app. http://www.blender3d.org .

"Walt Kay" wrote in message
Hi, first of all I’ve been using Photoshop since version 4 so I’m no
there but I am new to this newsgroup. Here’s what I’d like to do. In addition to 2d graphics I also use 3d programs and I’m currently getting more into 3d modeling. I use a free modeler called Wings 3d and one of the things you can do with Wings is to import .ai (Illustrator) files to use
for
your models. This has intrigued me and one of the things I’d like to do is to use Photoshop for this. I’ve already tried this but I think I may be doing something wrong. Here’s what I do, I import the image that I want to do the model of as a JPG file, I trace around the edges with the pen tool
as
all I want is the basic shape and I can extrude the model in Wings. When I try to save it as an .ai file Photoshop tells me it’s going to convert it
to
an .eps file. I’ve tried renaming the file to .ai and importing it but I haven’t had any luck yet. Another thing is I also get a warning from Wings saying it only takes .ai files from Illustrator 8 and earlier. Is there a way to do this? Keep in mind I don’t have Illustrator and even if I did I get the feeling Wings wouldn’t accept it because of the aforementioned version 8 and earlier dialog. Looking forward to some help. Thanks.

WK
Walt Kay
Feb 12, 2004
There is a function that allows you to import JPGs as an image plane and I’ve tried that but it’s very hard to fit the models to the form of the picture. I know about Blender but I’ve never checked it out but I will tonight.

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi Walt,
Couldn’t you just import the image as a JPG file? Also you might try to find a plug-in that will allow you to do the job you need, if that fails try "Blender"! Its really vast for a free 3D app. http://www.blender3d.org .

"Walt Kay" wrote in message
there but I am new to this newsgroup. Here’s what I’d like to do. In addition to 2d graphics I also use 3d programs and I’m currently getting more into 3d modeling. I use a free modeler called Wings 3d and one of
the
things you can do with Wings is to import .ai (Illustrator) files to use
for
your models. This has intrigued me and one of the things I’d like to do
is
to use Photoshop for this. I’ve already tried this but I think I may be doing something wrong. Here’s what I do, I import the image that I want
to
do the model of as a JPG file, I trace around the edges with the pen
tool
as
all I want is the basic shape and I can extrude the model in Wings. When
I
try to save it as an .ai file Photoshop tells me it’s going to convert
it
to
an .eps file. I’ve tried renaming the file to .ai and importing it but I haven’t had any luck yet. Another thing is I also get a warning from
Wings
saying it only takes .ai files from Illustrator 8 and earlier. Is there
a
way to do this? Keep in mind I don’t have Illustrator and even if I did
I
get the feeling Wings wouldn’t accept it because of the aforementioned version 8 and earlier dialog. Looking forward to some help. Thanks.

R
Rowley
Feb 12, 2004
Hmm, I don’t think that you’re going to be able to really do what you want with PS. EPS files are not AI files.
I’ve got a suggestion though. You could pick up a copy of the latest issue of Digital CreativeArts magazine. It’s one of the UK import graphics magazines that you can usually find at most of the big chain bookstores (B&N, Borders, Hastings, BookStop, etc.) – usually costs around $13 or so. The cover CD that comes with the magazine comes with a free license of Canvas 7, which is a vector based graphics program very similar to Illustrator – and can save files in the AI file format. This is an older version of the Canvas line – 9 being the most current, so I would imagine that the AI file format that it saves in would be the same as Illustrator 8, or more like 7.

The cd also has the 30 day demo of 3DS Max 6 on it too.

Martin

Walt Kay wrote:

Hi, first of all I’ve been using Photoshop since version 4 so I’m no newbie there but I am new to this newsgroup. Here’s what I’d like to do. In addition to 2d graphics I also use 3d programs and I’m currently getting more into 3d modeling. I use a free modeler called Wings 3d and one of the things you can do with Wings is to import .ai (Illustrator) files to use for your models. This has intrigued me and one of the things I’d like to do is to use Photoshop for this. I’ve already tried this but I think I may be doing something wrong. Here’s what I do, I import the image that I want to do the model of as a JPG file, I trace around the edges with the pen tool as all I want is the basic shape and I can extrude the model in Wings. When I try to save it as an .ai file Photoshop tells me it’s going to convert it to an .eps file. I’ve tried renaming the file to .ai and importing it but I haven’t had any luck yet. Another thing is I also get a warning from Wings saying it only takes .ai files from Illustrator 8 and earlier. Is there a way to do this? Keep in mind I don’t have Illustrator and even if I did I get the feeling Wings wouldn’t accept it because of the aforementioned version 8 and earlier dialog. Looking forward to some help. Thanks.
WK
Walt Kay
Feb 12, 2004
Thanks, I think I found the answer in the Wings 3d forum. I’ll check out that CD though, that application will probably come in handy for .ai files in the future.

"Rowley" wrote in message
Hmm, I don’t think that you’re going to be able to really do what you want
with
PS. EPS files are not AI files.
I’ve got a suggestion though. You could pick up a copy of the latest issue
of
Digital CreativeArts magazine. It’s one of the UK import graphics
magazines that
you can usually find at most of the big chain bookstores (B&N, Borders, Hastings, BookStop, etc.) – usually costs around $13 or so. The cover CD
that
comes with the magazine comes with a free license of Canvas 7, which is a
vector
based graphics program very similar to Illustrator – and can save files in
the
AI file format. This is an older version of the Canvas line – 9 being the
most
current, so I would imagine that the AI file format that it saves in would
be
the same as Illustrator 8, or more like 7.

The cd also has the 30 day demo of 3DS Max 6 on it too.

Martin

Walt Kay wrote:

there but I am new to this newsgroup. Here’s what I’d like to do. In addition to 2d graphics I also use 3d programs and I’m currently getting more into 3d modeling. I use a free modeler called Wings 3d and one of
the
things you can do with Wings is to import .ai (Illustrator) files to use
for
your models. This has intrigued me and one of the things I’d like to do
is
to use Photoshop for this. I’ve already tried this but I think I may be doing something wrong. Here’s what I do, I import the image that I want
to
do the model of as a JPG file, I trace around the edges with the pen
tool as
all I want is the basic shape and I can extrude the model in Wings. When
I
try to save it as an .ai file Photoshop tells me it’s going to convert
it to
an .eps file. I’ve tried renaming the file to .ai and importing it but I haven’t had any luck yet. Another thing is I also get a warning from
Wings
saying it only takes .ai files from Illustrator 8 and earlier. Is there
a
way to do this? Keep in mind I don’t have Illustrator and even if I did
I
get the feeling Wings wouldn’t accept it because of the aforementioned version 8 and earlier dialog. Looking forward to some help. Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections