PM
Posted By
Piedro Mazolo
Feb 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Posting some findings here, for mutual exchange to save time, ink and paper…

These are my findings so far on the new Canon i990 printer with 7 ink colors, using Photoshop 7 (sRGB workspace):

For paper PR-101 (Photo Paper Pro) best results:

Photoshop settings: Source sRGB, Printer Color management, Perceptive

Printer Driver settings: Pro Photo paper, Quality Fine=1, Diffusion, Color=Manual, ICM

Comments:

Color=Auto is very simillar, but gives a little bit more vivid colors. ICM is probably closer to neutral.

Quality High=2 gives some horizontal banding, is this normal for the i990 or is my printer bad, or am I over sensitive? The banding is only visible once you have seen its there, but as a professional photograper, this is ALL I see then… so i have to use Fine=1. Also

Quality Fine=1 seems to give slightly more saturation when used with Auto Color, which would be normal I think. This is not visible on ICM with Quality=1.

Compared to Quality=2, Quality=1 gives somewhat more magenta and blue prints in ICM or Auto color modes. This is strange, as the colors should be calibrated for all settings when you use ICM. Or has Canon only calibrated for ONE setting…?

When comparing to MP-101, the PR-101 prints look more green under lamp light than under day light. That is, the DIFFERENCE betweeens the prints increase in lamp light.

For paper MP-101 (Matte photo paper) best results:

Photoshop settings: Source sRGB, Printer Color management, Perceptive

Printer Driver settings: Matte Photo paper, Quality Standard=3, Diffusion, Color=Manual, Photo, Normal

Comments:

Color=Auto gives the same results as above.

Strange enough ICM=ON that works for PR-101 gives way to magenta prints, it is like Canon has not calibrated the printer for this paper with ICM…

With my setting above, prints are still more magenta than on PR-101, so maby magenta=-10… will test some more….

Higher quality than 3 is not visible on this paper. As for the PR-101 the only reason to go higher is banding, but its less of a problem on this paper.

Setting Photoshop Print Space to "BJ Color Printer Profile 2000" gives the same results as Printer Color Management when the printer is set to ICM=ON

Setting Photoshop Print Space to "sRGB" gives way too yellow results when the Printer Color Management when the printer is set to ICM=ON, this is strange, as the manual is talking about the printer as a sRGB device when set to ICM mode…

General: New print are way to red/magenta. Allow them to rest at least 15 minutes or prefferqbly some hours before color comparisons.

Does anyone know what the profiles below are?

Canon i990 MP1

Canon i990 PR1

Canon i990 PR2

Canon i990 SP1

How can they be used in Photoshop and with the printer driver?

Plese post any of your own findings on printing photos on Canon Bubblejets in Photoshop here!

Rgds

PM

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PM
Piedro Mazolo
Feb 6, 2004
News: After manual head positioning (not the quick version) the banding seems gone on Quality=2 and PR-101!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections