F
Posted By
frankg
Mar 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A designer on a Mac is designing stationery (I think with Illustrator) and doing the type real small (vector) and emailing the file to me as a pdf file – which I can view on my PC with Acrobat.

However when I open the file in PS CS/8 it rasterizes the type. Now since this version is supposed to be vector capable, shouldn’t the type be left as vector which would facilitate better printing quality.

The reason I dont want to print out of Acrobat and rather open it in PS is that I want to add an additional layer to the file (a photo)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EG
Eric Gill
Mar 9, 2005
"frankg" wrote in
news:aytXd.15018$:

A designer on a Mac is designing stationery (I think with Illustrator) and doing the type real small (vector) and emailing the file to me as a pdf file – which I can view on my PC with Acrobat.

However when I open the file in PS CS/8 it rasterizes the type. Now since this version is supposed to be vector capable, shouldn’t the type be left as vector which would facilitate better printing quality.

Yes, it should.

No, it won’t be, if you insist on rasterizing it with Photoshop

The reason I dont want to print out of Acrobat and rather open it in PS is that I want to add an additional layer to the file (a photo)

And the reason you’re not using Illustrator for this is…?
F
frankg
Mar 9, 2005

Yes, it should.

It automatically rasterizes it when opening the file, I dont ‘insist on it’ – how I can avoid that would be a helpful tip?
The reason for not using Illustrator is that I dont have it or ever use it – I need to add a PS layer with a photo to the page he is sending me
EG
Eric Gill
Mar 9, 2005
"frankg" wrote in
news:g8CXd.23503$:

Yes, it should.

It automatically rasterizes it when opening the file, I dont ‘insist on it’

Since you already know that Photoshop rasterizes the file, by using Photoshop to "open" it you are indeed ‘insisting’ on doing so.

– how I can avoid that would be a helpful tip?

You use Illustrator.

The reason for not using Illustrator is that I dont have it or ever use it – I need to add a PS layer with a photo to the page he is sending me

You have three choices.

1) Use Illustrator.
2) Rasterize in PS.
3) Re-create in PS. (It’s not a great tool for the application you’re trying to use it for, but you can probably do it.)

There are always limitations trying to edit files in the application that didn’t create them – especially ones that have a different task set than the original.
F
frankg
Mar 9, 2005

Yes, it should.

Since you already know that Photoshop rasterizes the file, by using Photoshop to "open" it you are indeed ‘insisting’ on doing so.

You use Illustrator.

You have three choices.

1) Use Illustrator.
2) Rasterize in PS.
3) Re-create in PS. (It’s not a great tool for the application you’re trying to use it for, but you can probably do it.)

There are always limitations trying to edit files in the application that didn’t create them – especially ones that have a different task set than the original.

Thanks.
I had thought because PS is now touted as being vector capable, that i could open the file and Not rasterize the type.- so then what does it’s vector capability do ?
EG
Eric Gill
Mar 9, 2005
"frankg" wrote in
news:p0DXd.23741$:

Thanks.
I had thought because PS is now touted as being vector capable, that i could open the file and Not rasterize the type.- so then what does it’s vector capability do ?

Allows creation of simple vector objects and preserves the outlines of text set in Photoshop.

You can also cut and paste simple vector objects into PS from Illustrator and Indesign.

Photoshop is not a page layout or vector drawing program, though plenty of people try to use it as either. Whether you realize it or not, you’re creating headaches for yourself and the prepress people that have to make your files work.

Adobe sticks to the paradigm of separate Page Layout, Vector Illustration, and Image Editor applications for good reason. They also carry over a limited subset of features between the programs for good reasons – practical ones. Drop Shadows are usually best made in the page layout software, for example, and being able to preserve vectors in text is a wonderful thing for the poor abused prepress people when their clients insist on setting large amounts of text in Photoshop.

Perhaps some day we’ll have a Swiss Army Knife application that does everything, but don’t hold your breath. We’ve been waiting since first Macs hit the market. In the meantime, a designer really needs the entirety of the Creative Suite.
H
howldog
Mar 9, 2005
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:39:54 -0500, "frankg"
wrote:

Yes, it should.

You use Illustrator.

You have three choices.

1) Use Illustrator.
2) Rasterize in PS.

Thanks.

CREATE vector art in photoshop.

not open vector art as vector. you open a vector file in photoshop, it rasterizes it.

there is however, a work around. You can copy a vector shape in illustrator to the clipboard, then switch to photoshop and paste as shape layer, which is vector. Theres also a way to retain that vector art as a custom shape, which sort of saves it as a vector shape in a built in library for you to use anytime you want.

I cant remember the steps to the trick to doing this, but perhaps someone else here will.

This probly wont help you with your particular problem, as i dont know how to copy a vector shape from acrobat as vector art, to the clipboard.
F
frankg
Mar 9, 2005
Thanks for the knowledge

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
"frankg" wrote in
news:p0DXd.23741$:

Thanks.

Allows creation of simple vector objects and preserves the outlines of
text
set in Photoshop.

You can also cut and paste simple vector objects into PS from Illustrator and Indesign.

Photoshop is not a page layout or vector drawing program, though plenty of people try to use it as either. Whether you realize it or not, you’re creating headaches for yourself and the prepress people that have to make your files work.

Adobe sticks to the paradigm of separate Page Layout, Vector Illustration, and Image Editor applications for good reason. They also carry over a limited subset of features between the programs for good reasons – practical ones. Drop Shadows are usually best made in the page layout software, for example, and being able to preserve vectors in text is a wonderful thing for the poor abused prepress people when their clients insist on setting large amounts of text in Photoshop.

Perhaps some day we’ll have a Swiss Army Knife application that does everything, but don’t hold your breath. We’ve been waiting since first
Macs
hit the market. In the meantime, a designer really needs the entirety of the Creative Suite.

B
bogus
Mar 9, 2005
You could also open it in PS, then add a layer with the type. As long as you have the font to match, you could use that and a mask to cover the rasterized type form Illustrator provided it is on a solid background.

howldog wrote:

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:39:54 -0500, "frankg"
wrote:

Yes, it should.

You use Illustrator.

You have three choices.

1) Use Illustrator.
2) Rasterize in PS.

Thanks.

CREATE vector art in photoshop.

not open vector art as vector. you open a vector file in photoshop, it rasterizes it.

there is however, a work around. You can copy a vector shape in illustrator to the clipboard, then switch to photoshop and paste as shape layer, which is vector. Theres also a way to retain that vector art as a custom shape, which sort of saves it as a vector shape in a built in library for you to use anytime you want.

I cant remember the steps to the trick to doing this, but perhaps someone else here will.

This probly wont help you with your particular problem, as i dont know how to copy a vector shape from acrobat as vector art, to the clipboard.

H
howldog
Mar 9, 2005
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:52:55 -0500, bogus wrote:

You could also open it in PS, then add a layer with the type. As long as you have the font to match, you could use that and a mask to cover the rasterized type form Illustrator provided it is on a solid background.
true.

then you have to know enough about photoshop to give the vendor a file with real vector data in it.

I mean, i know people who go to all kinds of trouble to use vector shapes and stuff in their photoshop files, then flatten the file and hand the vendor a TIFF.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections