DE
Posted By
Duncan_Enman
Jan 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry if any of you are tired about hearing about this (I assume it must have been discussed before), but I just stumbled upon the CS currency issue.

First of all, I run my own web design and graphic editing company. For years I have been a huge Photoshop fan, and have happily used it daily for years. When it comes time for me to upgrade software for my business, it is no inexpensive task. I recently upgraded five of my computers to Photoshop CS at a fairly steep expense.

We have been running CS for two days now, with only minor glitches. But today I was absolutely SHOCKED to find out that CS does not allow you to work with currency images. We very commonly use Canadian (and occasionally US) currency for image manipulation purposes for websites, advertising campaigns, etc – so this is a very big setback for us.

The fact that Adobe would take it upon themselves to act as big brother is absolutely outrageous! What on earth was Adobe thinking when they decided this?! Do they think that it will somehow stop counterfeiting?? Obviously the serious criminals will have many other ways around this. The people that are being hurt by this ridiculous restriction are the ‘little’ people that use PS for their career. To me, this feels like a kick to the junk… and a very sneaky one at that.

Adobe has gone too far – and has certainly lost the respect and trust from one of their devoted customers…. not to mention the future business – I am about to pay Macromedia a visit.

I hope that Adobe finds a way to rectify the situation. The only way in my mind that that will happen is through an apology and a upgrade patch… neither of which are likely.

P.S. Is there a petition going around anywhere? If not, I may be inclined to start one.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 13, 2004
wrote:

Sorry if any of you are tired about hearing about this

Not that sorry, apparently.

(I assume it must have been discussed before)

Good assumption. Take a walk to the lounge.

but I just stumbled upon the CS currency issue.

Must be real vital to you then.

Bob
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 13, 2004
The thread to which you refer gives several workarounds. It is not an obstacle that can’t be overcome. But it has been moved to the grouse forum.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 13, 2004
Duncan,

Use one of the available workarounds. Most notably, study the rules for use, and you wont have a problem even scanning bills into photoshop.
DE
Duncan_Enman
Jan 13, 2004
I never said it is vital – I said it is a setback… If we ran into it within one day of purchasing the software, I would say that it is certainly a problem.

It is the fact that Adobe would place such a senseless restriction in their software that has me upset.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 13, 2004
Take it to the lounge. We’ve discussed this to death.

Bob
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jan 13, 2004
But seriously Bob, doesn’t it need a couple hundred more opinions?
R
rickhutson
Jan 13, 2004
Well one thing they didn’t think about ( actually one more in the series ) is that when people come here to rant they won’t look in the lounge – but will post here. Probably something to do with this is where it’s supposed to be. So we’ll get to hear about it over and over and over – till they fix it. Ha ha isn’t that funny, they’ll fix it!
Of course the first prerequisite to fixing something is you have to realize something is wrong.
RH
r_harvey
Jan 13, 2004
Anyone who is tired of listening to this, might consider ignoring it.
RL
Robert_Levine
Jan 13, 2004
doesn’t it need a couple hundred more opinions?

From the same eight people?

Bob
G
graffiti
Jan 13, 2004

Some folks are just VERY opinionated.
RH
r_harvey
Jan 13, 2004
They seem to be a civilized bunch. Some are even from Slashdot.
ND
Nick_Decker
Jan 13, 2004
This used to be a Photoshop U2U forum. Why do you people insist on destroying it with politics?
D
dpick
Jan 13, 2004
Sheesh,

The guy comes to vent about CS (like that hasn’t happened around here before…), and admits up front he doesn’t spend his life on this forum (apply appropriate snide remark here). He also admits he has purchased multiple licenses (I have one measly one).

So, Duncan. If you want to vent–vent. You’ve paid dearly and have earned a few bits of cyberspace to scream a little about your frustrations without being ridiculed.

Now, it’s your turn, enjoy.
QZ
Qianfeng_Zheng
Jan 13, 2004
Bad action, use photoshop 7 instead.
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Jan 13, 2004
"They seem to be a civilized bunch. Some are even from Slashdot."

Next thing you’ll be telling us is they are well informed too. Slashbots are neither but they sure are fun to tease. It’s like watching monkeys at the zoo.
RH
r_harvey
Jan 13, 2004
Who’s watching who?

Read Slashdot at +2, and I bet you could learn something–I learn stuff there all the time. They don’t have many articles about programming in Visual Basic, though… at least not positive articles.
DE
Duncan_Enman
Jan 13, 2004
Well I apologize to anyone who is upset about my original post – I was unaware that there was a lounge at all. At the time I thought posting a CS comment under the Photoshop board was OK. Also, I did not realize that some people do not want to hear it discussed.

Anyways, just seeing what everyone else’s reaction was, and -*hoping* maybe that Adobe would read this at some point. Thanks for the time.
WS
Wesley Snipes
Jan 14, 2004
And who are you M.F. to judge ? You want me to bring you another hundred raging users ? Go crawl under some rock and die !

wrote:

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections