Posted By
drjchamberlain
Mar 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear group members:

I have tried to perform a task in Photoshop but haven’t been able to do it or to find information on how to do it.

How can a color be converted to a different color in Photoshop ?

I would like to learn how one can select a specific color in an image (let’s say red) and tell Photoshop to convert only this color to a second specified color (let’s say green) so that only the selected color becomes replaced by green and the rest of the image remains the same.

Is there such a function in Photoshop ? If yes, can this function be adjusted to different degrees of specificity (meaning that values would be entered or provided by the user to let Photoshop know how narrow or broad to make the "red" color when replacing it with green – making it broader would cause red and other "adjacent" reddish shades to also be replaced) ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Joseph Chamberlain

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
tg416
Mar 8, 2005
In article <BE52700A.175FC%>, "Joseph
Chamberlain, DDS" wrote:

Dear group members:

I have tried to perform a task in Photoshop but haven’t been able to do it or to find information on how to do it.

There are three ways that I would typically approach this: NOTE: pick one, don’t do all three. 😉

1.) select by color and adjust
2.) create a feathered mask, paint a new layer or adjust hue, etc.
3.) use the magic wand tool

I would like to learn how one can select a specific color in an image (let’s say red) and tell Photoshop to convert only this color to a second specified color (let’s say green) so that only the selected color becomes replaced by green and the rest of the image remains the same.

If you have specific needs, you might find a plugin somewhere that will do what you’re looking to do. The problem is, what you’re describing is rather hairy when it comes to raster imagery.

while ((remote_user == "potentially braindead spamming scriptmonkey") == 0) { strcpy (myusername, "01100001 01101110 01100001 01101101"); //decode binary strcat (myusername, " 01101111 01110010 01110000 01101000"); //to contact me } //%set hostname="extremezone.com"; cat whining | apathy > /dev/null; logout
N
neon
Mar 8, 2005
Joseph Chamberlain, DDS wrote:
Dear group members:

Is there such a function in Photoshop ? If yes, can this function be adjusted to different degrees of specificity (meaning that values would be entered or provided by the user to let Photoshop know how narrow or broad to make the "red" color when replacing it with green – making it broader would cause red and other "adjacent" reddish shades to also be replaced) ?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Joseph Chamberlain
there are numerous ways to accomplish this. they’re all covered in the manual & help. there are also tutorials covering the subject…a quick google search will yield over 1,000 hits.
T
Tacit
Mar 8, 2005
In <BE52700A.175FC%>, Joseph Chamberlain,
DDS wrote:

1. Sample the color to be replaced with the Eyedropper.

2. Select->Color Range.

3. Edit->Fill with the new color in Color mode, or use Image->Adjust-
Hue and Saturation, or use Curves, or use the Channel Mixer–there are
many ways to change the color of a selected area.
BH
Bill Hilton
Mar 8, 2005
Joseph Chamberlain writes …

I would like to learn how one can select a specific color in an image
(let’s
say red) and tell Photoshop to convert only this color to a second
specified
color (let’s say green) so that only the selected color becomes
replaced by
green and the rest of the image remains the same.

As other posts mention, there are several ways. Here’s my favorite, since it uses adjustment layers and is very flexible …

Select > Color Range and use the eye dropper to select the color you wish to change. You can use the + or – icons and the ‘Fuzziness’ setting to fine-tune this selection (read up on Color Range in Help).

Once you have the colors selected correctly open an adjustment layer of type Hue/Saturation … the selection becomes an adjustment layer mask, which basically keeps the non-selected areas from being affected. Now move the Hue slider to change the color. Since this is an adjustment layer you can change it as often as you wish.

If this doesn’t work quite right at the edges of the selection you may need to re-generate the selection or feather it or edit the selection as an alpha channel mask. But once the selection is spot-on it’s easy to change the colors with hue/sat.

Bill
D
drjchamberlain
Mar 11, 2005
Thank you Bill, Stephens and all other who have responded. I appreciate your feedback and input.

Best regards,

Joseph.

———————————————————— —————-

On 3/8/05 8:40 AM, in article
, "Bill Hilton"
wrote:

Joseph Chamberlain writes …

I would like to learn how one can select a specific color in an image
(let’s
say red) and tell Photoshop to convert only this color to a second
specified
color (let’s say green) so that only the selected color becomes
replaced by
green and the rest of the image remains the same.

As other posts mention, there are several ways. Here’s my favorite, since it uses adjustment layers and is very flexible …
Select > Color Range and use the eye dropper to select the color you wish to change. You can use the + or – icons and the ‘Fuzziness’ setting to fine-tune this selection (read up on Color Range in Help).
Once you have the colors selected correctly open an adjustment layer of type Hue/Saturation … the selection becomes an adjustment layer mask, which basically keeps the non-selected areas from being affected. Now move the Hue slider to change the color. Since this is an adjustment layer you can change it as often as you wish.

If this doesn’t work quite right at the edges of the selection you may need to re-generate the selection or feather it or edit the selection as an alpha channel mask. But once the selection is spot-on it’s easy to change the colors with hue/sat.

Bill

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections